Restaraunts

Aug 13, 2009
I am visiting Cabrera in October. We are staying in a private villa and will probably have breakfast and lunch in, but would like to go out in the evening for dinner. Any suggestions for nice restaraunts within a 30 min. drive? Doesn't seem like there's much around there. I'm aware of La Catalina. Thanks.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
Luigi's Seafood Restaurant, which just opened a couple weeks ago, is probably the poshest restaurant in town, with some great seafood options. There are several other nice restaurants around the town, but they all offer basically the same food. There is Chori Pan, a pizza / pasta / meat restaurant in the center of town with good food, great prices, and always busy. There is Manny's Bar and Restaurant which doesn't have a large menu, but absolutely beautiful location right on the waterfront and very unique decor. Bubanuca's is another very unique restaurant just out of town, sort of in the middle of the woods (but only a 5 minute drive away)... very neat atmosphere and surrondings (eg: surf board bar, skies hanging from the ceiling, old jukebox, etc.)... but again, offers the same sort of food (pasta, pork, chicken, fish, rice, fries). If you would like any more details or directions, just let me know when you get into town. I am sure you'll have a great stay! :)

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Restaurants

I am visiting Cabrera in October. We are staying in a private villa and will probably have breakfast and lunch in, but would like to go out in the evening for dinner. Any suggestions for nice restaraunts within a 30 min. drive? Doesn't seem like there's much around there. I'm aware of La Catalina. Thanks.

It all depends on your definition of "nice restaurant"

Firstly, a 30 minute drive gets you nowhere except to Rio San Juan.
There are places there you might like.

In Cabrera, Chori Pan suits a lot of people - gravel floor, roof leaks in the rain, typical DR...but the food is good.
Cabrera ain't long on ambience of the No American variety.
Bobanuko's is a lot of fun - see comments above
Haven't been to the new Luigi's
Manny's is a great beach bar/bistro.

Try lunch at the beach club (no membership req'd) - Playa Grande - ask for Tito or shack #12 (2 different people)
Table , chairs , where ever you want, when you want. Full service but... no table clothes- take your own

If your taste leans more to the "on the beaten path" vs "off"... stick with la Catalina.

All of this keys to your own personal expectations ... remembering where you are - DR and Cabrera. The juxtaposition of the elite villas and the life in town are curious but suit the villa owners well..... and maybe you too :))

Remember, your villa will do a good dinner also.

We never worry about food/stomach problems and haven't had any.

Bon Appetit