Hebrew tutor

alanamarie

Dec 11, 2007
I would like to find a Hebrew tutor for my kids, someone who could work with them once a week on basic Hebrew, and also provide some additional support preparing one for Bar Mitzvah. We're on the North Coast, but I realize the options may be limited so we can be flexible or work something out with the right person.
Please feel free to send a private message if you have any information for me.
Many thanks,
Alana

ZEUS

Bronze
Feb 14, 2003
You should find some tutors in Sosua's jewish community. I work for Jewish University here in Washington Heights. The only word I know is Purim=booze..

Good luck!
Shalom!!;)

alanamarie

Dec 11, 2007
I am not having any luck with the Jewish "community" here in Sosua. I think it is more like an exclusive club than a synagogue.
A person who knows Hebrew and a person who can teach Hebrew are not necessarily the same. I am hoping to find someone who has experience working with Hebrew learners. I have some materials here, but I don't exactly have a curriculum, nor would I know where to start in developing one.
Thanks for the suggestions so far! (Zeus- I always thought KIDDUSH meant wine and PURIM meant PARTY!!)

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Oh ! I thought all jewish people in the area had to attend a synagogue, therefore you could put the word around about what you are looking for.
I should have known you had tried that option lol

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I'd suggest calling Delancer and asking for the number for Oron - he used to be their internet guy - don't know if he still is. Anyhow, he's a really nice guy, an Israeli and attends temple I think it's one Friday a month in Sosua. Worth a try - he may have the perfect person for you - knows the Jewish community well.

Good luck.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I would like to find a Hebrew tutor for my kids, someone who could work with them once a week on basic Hebrew, and also provide some additional support preparing one for Bar Mitzvah. We're on the North Coast, but I realize the options may be limited so we can be flexible or work something out with the right person.
Please feel free to send a private message if you have any information for me.
Many thanks,
Alana

That's going to be a tough call for the north coast, even central.

The last guy I knew of that actually had the time to teach Hebrew and hands on Bar Mitzvah was a photographer from a Dominican/Jewish family named Placido. His whereabouts today are only known to him and the IDF...

You can get a robust list of potentials from the largest Synagogue in Santo Domingo. They'll even take care of all the preceding for your kid's BM.

I know so b/c that's exactly where mine took place, in Santo Domingo.

To be honest with you, at the time my BM was more of the same ritual of going to the synagogue and taking part as "one" of them from "their" perspective. I read some lines of the Torah and that was all there was to it. After the religious visit, we went home and that's when I really enjoyed the "passing"... I got to "own" my bank account's book and was given the keys to the house... Ah! And I got to be able to openly have a drink with my father (not that I missed drinks already at the age), some cool Presidentes...

Any family member can become his aide to this step, about learning Hebrew is another thing. Just post a wanted ad in the Listin Diario and provide a request for the services.

I flunked my Birkat Hamazon too!! LOL!!! All in all I tried to sing but my voice was not so "artistic"...

YouTube - Birkat Hamazon

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6kZ7FaiMQpw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6kZ7FaiMQpw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:

Joey Doughnuts

Nov 26, 2006
maybe you should consider (whether you get a tutor or not) getting language softare.

I believe both pimsleur & rosetta stone may have hebrew modules. Search-um, like a yenta would.