Caution ATM SCAM in Caberette

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was in Caberette the other night and went to Banco populars ATM but it was out of money, just then a jeep pulls up(young guy and girl) and tells me not to worry Banco Santa Cruz across the street has money, so I drive over to Banco Santa Cruz (Not really thinking why would people who know Banco Santa Cruz's machine is working be at Banco popular????) I proceed to attempt to withdraw money and my card is withheld, There is a sign on atm to call a phone number, I call this number and I'm told that I could pick up my card at the bank on Monday morning,but i would have to leave the person on the other end of the phone my pin number,so they could deactivate my account. I realize this is now a scam and look down the road and guess who is parked in the dark???yes,same jeep who told me to goto this bank). I then hung up phone and beat the crap out of the machine till I was able to retrieve my card. Just a heads up to everyone out there.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Good job...I am a firm believer in afirmative action. How in the world are these thieves,for lack of a better word able to fix the machines to grab the cards? Do they actually have keys to get inside?

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Good job...I am a firm believer in afirmative action. How in the world are these thieves,for lack of a better word able to fix the machines to grab the cards? Do they actually have keys to get inside?

Chewing gum or sticky tape.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
it's called the Lebanese Loop

The Lebanese Loop
Many thieves are using external devices to confiscate your card. In this scam, a blocking device (which can be as simple as some film glued to trap ATM cards), is inserted into the card slot of the ATM machine. Unwittingly, you place your card into the machine and enter your PIN. All the while, someone nearby may be watching you enter your PIN number.

A very common reaction is to go into the bank to report your confiscated card. Now the thieves jump into action. They remove the blocking device, along with your trapped ATM card and withdraw money from your account.

The way the scammers use the Lebanese Loop can vary. Often, once your ATM card is trapped, a "Good Samaritan" will show up and offer advice on how to get your card back. They may suggest that you enter your PIN number a couple of times.

They might also offer to hold the cancel button while you enter your PIN. What they're really doing is memorizing your PIN number. They're certainly not Samaritans (in this case good Dominicans) at all !!

glad to hear you got your card back....

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Holly SHYT Patrick they almost got you? Goes to show you this can happy to anyone. Even a veteran of the DR like yourself. Be careful folks, SUPER careful!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
its not new

They got me too except it was in Sosua. Even my wife who is a very wise and clever Dominicana who no one takes advantage fell for the call the phone number part of the trick. Its a very lucrative scam that is not dangerous for the perp. Police do not do anything. I questioned the bank. With a camera and the criminals picture why not prosecute. Bank manager told me the police are not interested in the prosecution and just let them go on the rare times they are caught. MY US bank refunded the $800 I lost without a problem. Pays to have a US bank account. Hell would freeze before a DR bank would lift a finger to help you. My thief used two triangular pieces of plastic held together with a rubber band to retrieve the cards. He left one stuck in the machine. Its an old trick and has been written about before here on DR1. Gotta be careful, this aint Kansas, and Dorothy dont live here. Like my wife tells me about 10 times a day, " you aint in Miami "

Holly SHYT Patrick they almost got you? Goes to show you this can happy to anyone. Even a veteran of the DR like yourself. Be careful folks, SUPER careful!

Almost got me.... I had just left Jose Osheas and needed some cash because you will always need cash after leaving Jose Osheas!!!! :) I didn't think anything of the guy and girl offering the help until, just as my card slipped out of my hand and into the machine at Banco Santa Cruz. The machine acted like no card was inserted at all, Finally I was able to rip the card out along with some what looked like computer film or something like that. I guess it was the Lebonese loop scam or whatever it is called. My advise to people is make sure you get your card back before walking away from machine. You can use a slim piece of metal or another card to help pull it out of machine. Whatever you do do not enter your pin no matter what anyone advises you.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
I believe they were Dominican but not some barrio Dominicans, They actually seemed like a very nice couple from Santiago,upper class,nice jeep,spoke english very well, who you would not suspect were trying to scam you. So you can not judge people by looks alone.

that's the scam, they don't LOOK like they would....

Status
Not open for further replies.