MetroPCS for DR calls

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I just had a long conversation with MetroPCS cell phone company yesterday. If you use them for your cell carrier in the USA, you can get UNLIMITED calls to the DR [and apparently 100 other countries] for an extra $5 a month.

The catch is that they are a newer carrier and don't have cell towers everywhere, so you need to live somewhere where they have service. They have plans for unlimited talk and text in the US starting at $30, but to use the $5 international option you have to have their $45 plan. So, for $50 a month you can make unlimited calls and texts around the world. Because we call the DR so often, we're thinking of getting a MetroPCS account - in addition to our current AT&T account because we don't want to have 'dead zones' when we travel.

We also figure that when we go to DR for a month or more at a time we can leave the phone with our daughter and she can call us as often as she wants. Last time we were there for 2 weeks she got a +$300 charge on her cell phone from calling us.

If you go to their website Unlimited Wireless Service - MetroPCS there's a place where you can enter an international phone # and it will tell you if that # can be called on the free international plan. It also shows where they have service, but the page is not up to date because it doesn't show coverage in my area and it's here. They have 6 sales offices within 10 miles of my house.

Worth a look!

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I just had a long conversation with MetroPCS cell phone company yesterday. If you use them for your cell carrier in the USA, you can get UNLIMITED calls to the DR [and apparently 100 other countries] for an extra $5 a month.

The catch is that they are a newer carrier and don't have cell towers everywhere, so you need to live somewhere where they have service. They have plans for unlimited talk and text in the US starting at $30, but to use the $5 international option you have to have their $45 plan. So, for $50 a month you can make unlimited calls and texts around the world. Because we call the DR so often, we're thinking of getting a MetroPCS account - in addition to our current AT&T account because we don't want to have 'dead zones' when we travel.

We also figure that when we go to DR for a month or more at a time we can leave the phone with our daughter and she can call us as often as she wants. Last time we were there for 2 weeks she got a +$300 charge on her cell phone from calling us.

If you go to their website Unlimited Wireless Service - MetroPCS there's a place where you can enter an international phone # and it will tell you if that # can be called on the free international plan. It also shows where they have service, but the page is not up to date because it doesn't show coverage in my area and it's here. They have 6 sales offices within 10 miles of my house.

Worth a look!

The $5 unlimited calls are only to home phones in the DR ... not cell phones.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
It works well and has been for some time........

The $5 unlimited calls are only to home phones in the DR ... not cell phones.

I have friends in Orlando, Miami, New York, Providence and Boston all of which are using it..............

IT DOES, as was stated, only works for landline phones, ......... but the text messaging works for cell phones.............I get texts all the time from a friend in Orlando........

IF you have the service though, and use it in an area without METROPCS there is a 29cent roaming charge.........

One other thing, for some reason, all landline numbers are NOT in the system, such as the "970"'s of the Puerto Plata area and the phones won't connect.......when you enter those numbers into the PCS website it shows them as cell phones......

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
Would be great if all the US Cell companies could offer this!

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Metro PCS...........

My number is an 809 number and told me .16 cents a minute.

...........service is FREE from the US to any DOMINICAN REPUBLIC ****LAND LINE****..............(the only problem is that some land lines are NOT IN THE SYSTEM........for example "970" landlines in Puerto Plata........).......

........it does work..............and has for some time..............

I've used my friends in Orlando, we were able to call the DR......, Costa Rica, and Columbia......... and they say there's about 50 other countries too......

........and, incidently, the connection is absolutely great........the clearest calls I have ever been able to make to the DR, without static, line going dead in the middle of a call etc..........

........then when we came back to the DR, this same friend has been calling us on a 809-586 number (landline in Puerto Plata).........and texting us on our CODETEL CELL PHONES..............at no charge..........

SO, THE CATCH IS:

PHONE CALLS FREE TO LAND LINES............(LANDLINES AS PER THEIR SYSTEM)
TEXT IS FREE TO CELL PHONES........

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Didn't someone just say "Landlines" only? :confused::confused:

The website accepts most 809 numbers, not all, and rejects 829, many CELL phones are still 809. Their system is programmed by exchange not by what type of line is assigned to it, but thanks for the attempted humor.

I think you need a bigger signature!

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Great example of why DR1 is so great - MetroCPS never told me about the cell phone exemption. Sneaky. There goes the idea of leaving the phone with our daughter in US to call us in DR - we only have cell phones. The only DR # I knew by heart was my suegra's house, and when I entered that it said all calls to DR were free. Everyone's cell #'s are in our cell phones, so I never memorized them.

I thought it sounded too good to be true....

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The website accepts most 809 numbers, not all, and rejects 829, many CELL phones are still 809. Their system is programmed by exchange not by what type of line is assigned to it, but thanks for the attempted humor.

I think you need a bigger signature!

No humor intended, just posting what was said.

SantiagoDR

Mar 30, 2009
metropcs doesnt work all the time

I have personal experience with metropcs to Santo Domingo.(809 landline I call). I think is great service except on friday and saturday nights from 11pm to up to 2am it is brutal. I cant remember the last time I was able to connect on those nights. During the week it is fine but sometimes doesnt connect. One weekend they had no service at all. If you can tolerate this then the service is well worth it. I am a PCS Customer

Robby1718

Aug 9, 2009
I have metro pcs. I can recieve text from dr cell phones but for some reason they cant recieve my replies. But when i send text from sprint or tmoblie they go threw fine. The person i text has a 809 number. This sucks.

tuxedodan

Sep 22, 2004
Hi, I have been using Metro PCS for a week now. I am quite satisfied with there services at times. I call the DR landlines a lot and it seems to be quite stable.
Pros
Unlimited calls to landlines ( so far I've tried 809 numbers)

Cons
No mobile calling
SMS messages don't work ( I have tried 2 829 numbers and they didn't work)
You have to buy a phone from the company
In-store customer service is better than there phone customer service ( I was talking to there machine)
Cell coverage isn't all that well

Do not be discouraged that the cons list is longer than the pros, in the end you pay for what you get. I like there service and I was talking for about 7 hours in 1 week! Think about how much you will save vs. calling cards?!

Luperon

Jun 28, 2004
Robby question

I have metro pcs. I can recieve text from dr cell phones but for some reason they cant recieve my replies. But when i send text from sprint or tmoblie they go threw fine. The person i text has a 809 number. This sucks.

Robby,

Is there a surcharge to send a Sprint text to the DR? thanks

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
You have to be lucky enough to be in an area where Metro PCS has decent reception. My sister-in-law lives in Philadelphia and she switched to them so she could call her mother/my suegra in Santo Domingo every day and save on calling cards. The problem is that no one can understand her when she uses the phone - she's totally garbled half the time because where she lives there must not be a tower. That's true for all her calls - to the US and to DR. Very disappointing.