Pelotero Dominicano on Death Row

Noche

Jul 1, 2008
Fabio Gomez, who is currently fighting for his life through appeals, has asked me to see if his people in the Dominican are hearing about his plight. Is anything being said in news?

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Maybe you can get the Cardinal to spout off in the media about being against the death penalty to "save" him. It seems to be working for abortion.

(I've decided to delete my personal thoughts and not start a flame war)

Last edited:

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Why is he still alive? He was sentenced in 2003. What a waste of tax money...

The Hun

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
i just read up about the case.... ummm have I missed something? I too will keep my mouth shut.....

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
After reading this, I see why he's looking for help:

Suspects try self-defense in court

Acting as his own attorney Monday, Fabio Gomez spent almost 40 minutes declaring his innocence before a jury that will decide whether he lives, claiming to be a victim of racial discrimination and even throwing in a few words about his sexual prowess.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
That wasn't the smartest thing to do... act as your own attorney at YOUR death penelty hearing.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Has right to appeals, sympathy a tough sell

I had never heard of the case before. Here are the details from the court:

http://www.supreme.state.az.us/opin/pdf2005/CR030199AP.pdf

And short newspaper article about the case:
Fabio Evelio Gomez

TheHun and windeguy: the death sentence is obviously the most severe, irrevocable punishment. The justice system is not perfect. Innocent people have been executed. DNA testing has revealed that some on death row were actually innocent. The costs related to them being on death row mostly come from the appeals process, and given the state and history of the justice system and the errors is has and does make, the right to appeals cannot be taken away.

I am ashamed and saddened that the U.S. still uses the death penalty. It is not objective, just, efficient or effective, any way you want to look at it. I am glad that the appeals system is in place and respect Fabio Gomez' right to use it, no matter how much it costs. Want to save taxpayer money? Abolish the death penalty.

I do not believe he should be executed because I do not support the death penalty-not morally and not from a criminological perspective.

However, these efforts being made at gaining public sympathy for him seem futile. Despite the overwheliming evidence against him, he has yet to admit any level of guilt or express any remorse. The crime was brutal; the woman was bludgeoned 18+ times in the head with a dumb bell and thrown in a dumpster. I do not feel any sympathy for him because he was a PELOTERO, from any league or team, or because is DOMINICAN. I don't care. He could be a Haitian crackhead, a rich Mexican oil tycoon, it doesn't matter in terms of me feeling more or less sorry for them or placing more or less value on their life. It's shameful that people are trying to use a few of his random charitable acts or the fact that he played baseball to drum up sympathy.

This is not the kind of case to use to try to get public support for abolishing the death penalty, which is probably why you can't find too much talk about it other than in the Dominican press.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
He is an arrogant sociopath. Anyone who represents himself at his own death penalty hearing is a little twisted.

To talk about his sexual prowess at his HIS death penelty hearing after being convicted of killing a woman and sexually assaulting her???

He has no remorse or humility. He cannot be rehabilitated and I don't want him as my neighbor or raising children.

His excuse for the blood in the apt was.... he killed the cat for scratching his child???? Now that is a valid excuse for killing a cat. I see that logical jump.... scratches...kill the cat..... B*** mouthes off... kill her too.

He has A LOT of anger problems.

He's not getting much sympathy from me nor does it appear from anyone.

He's had 10 years to think about it and it seems as though he hasn't learned much. I don't think he's going to have some radical spiritual awakening anytime soon.

At this point, if he does it's going to be a bit late. He should've had one a little sooner.

so.....

Reactions: MikeFisher
Fabio Gomez, who is currently fighting for his life through appeals, has asked me to see if his people in the Dominican are hearing about his plight. Is anything being said in news?

Noche what are you smoking????? I guess this scum of a man is a friend of yours,if so how can you rationalize what he did? Why should Dominicans or anyone else feel sympathy for this piece of shyte? Do you believe in his innocence?How do you explain all the poor womans blood all over his apt and the body in a dumpster in front of his apt. I would love to be there to pull the lever and watch the bastard fry.;)

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
minerva feliz. - I have no problem with the death penalty if the accused is convicted of murder or rape. No system is perfect. At least this will guarantee that it won't happen again by the hand of the convicted.

I agree 100% ! Why should this person be given his life to live when he cruelly and brutally ended someone elses??

DNA evidence is usually pretty accurate.

Hope he gets what he deserves.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I'd love to talk to him to find out what happened and why but I know his answer .....

I am the victim.. poor me... I was set up... It wasn't my fault.... she provoked me... she led me on.. she mouthed off... it was all her fault....

It's everyone else's fault. Everyone should feel sorry for ME. If she didn't do XXXXX I wouldn't have done what I did.

or

The evidence was planted/manipulated to frame me. They hate Dominicans in AZ. They only like Mexicans.

They rope people (women) into their lies. They are charming and believable. They are the masters of manipulation. They have an answer for everything. By the time they are finished talking, they have you believing their nonsense.

The DNA/Blood... it was hers but there is really a logical reason HOW it ended up in his apt.......

RUN......

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
He is displaying arrogant bravado. He's not sincere. He has no soul.

... I'll respect it"

It's garbage. It's a front. Who cares what he thinks. Who cares if he respects the jury's decision. It doesn't matter. It's a ploy and a game and a manipulation to come across a a decent person.

If he were a decent human being he'd apologize to her family. He'd show remorse. He'd be humble.

If they decide on the death penalty, lets see if he appeals it. That is his constitutional right but he did say he would respect their decision. He should not.

2LeftFeet

Bronze
Dec 1, 2006
I re-read the 1st post... so he is appealing his death sentence. What happened?

I thought that he was going to respect the decision....

Coward...

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
FWIW, I hope he is successful in his appeal and gets his sentence changed to life in prison without parole; I'm fundamentally against the death penalty even for a guy like this (and its cheaper).