Dsl, t1 & sat internet

Joey Doughnuts

Nov 26, 2006
Currently I have the verizon DSL & vip package in POP, I pay about $120.00 a month for marginally slow service. I signed that contract about 4 years ago. If I remember correctly the up and downstream speeds were advertized at 386k/128k, I'm unsure but not far off.

I've heard there are other players offering internet and for my next trip to DR I am looking forward to upgrade my service. I'm also consdiering adding a little redundancy by having a SAT provider also.

In an old post I read people suggested Unasat, idirect & hughes. I read elsewhere in 07 unasat closed their doors & was the only company that offered suitable VOIP sat.

As far as dsl I read someone in Santo Domingo gets 2mbps with tricom yet failed to mention whether the same is available in POP and costs.

I'd like to know whats currently being offered and at what cost by people that currently are using either dsl, t1 or sat service + the speed they are actually getting.

Reason being even here in Miami with comcast they advertise to offer 12mbps and I still get between 3 & 4 mbps @$180 /w dvr + dig cable + taxes. Same with this Verizon FIOS, they claim to offer 15mbps but I haven't heard anyone do better then 5 yet.

Thanks