New TSA rules

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
I never use my first name... not on credit card or whatever... oh well, guess i will now

edm7583

May 29, 2007
yawn. Must have been a slow news day at your local left-wing propaganda outlet.

A non-story. On international flights, don't the airlines get this info anyway when your passport is swiped on check-in??

And for domestic flights, they are not asking for anything that isn't on your ID anyway. (and they won't need your middle name) which you need to board the aircraft. How intrusive is it to ask your gender?? They are trying to eliminate false matches to watch lists. Up until now, it is each individual airline that determines which of its passengers to flag as SSSS and it's the airline's responsibility to crosscheck passengers against a central no-fly database. Now, the airlines will forward the info to DHS, and they will make the determination (not the airline) on who will be SSSS or who is no fly.

Anyone who thinks security procedures in the US are intrusive have never flown out of airports in Isreal or even Frankfurt. In Tel-Aviv, every passenger is individually interviewd by state security (people traveling together are interviewed separately), and depending on your answers to their questions and how they profile you, the interview can be as quick as 5 minutes or as long as an hour long interrogation involving a thurough search of you and your bags. Only after you get past them are you even allowed to check in. If anything, security in the US is not strict enough. But in fairness, for all the flack the TSA gets, they have done their job well for almost 8 years now.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
yawn. Must have been a slow news day at your local left-wing propaganda outlet.

A non-story.

Perhaps informative... not propaganda as it has an impact on some of us & we'll need to change the way we do things?

For me:
passport = John Adam Doe
credit card = Adam Doe
airline records = Adam Doe

I already can't check in at a kiosk because my passport doesn't match my airline records/credit cards. So, I'll start booking my tickets under John A. Doe. Which then won't match my credit cards. So, I guess I'll have to change my credit cards to John A. Doe, which then won't match the tickets I've already booked... :: sigh ::

An example of some of the hoops to jump thru on last trip:
  • booked ticket with credit card ending in 1234
  • before flight, credit card company cancels card due to their possibly having compromised some data
  • arrive at airport, i can't fly because i can't produce the cancelled credit card with which the flight was booked
  • so... they have to cancel my ticket & re-issue me one on the spot with the new card ending in 7890
  • this took about an hour as they tried to figure out how to do so & give me the same price...

Now, if I want to buy a ticket for my sister to fly her down... would she have need to show my credit card to be able to fly? :ermm:

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
now thats propaganda. i've flown out of Frankfurt many times with hardly any wait time at all. something you want to share with us concerning YOUR background ?

any-hoo, i don't want anything delaying my trips, i got chicas and beer waiting :laugh:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It can be a real hassle at the airport. When we flew to SD from Philadelphia, everyone else was able to swipe their passport to get their boarding pass, but because my passport has both my maiden and married surnames on it, it didn't match my ticket or any of my other ID. Everyone had to wait for me.... wasn't a very long wait, but annoying still....