Ants!!!

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
I'm so sick of finding ants around any tiny thing you drop in the apartment! The powders just arent that effective and I cant really use them with a young baby around. Is there any place I can call to spray to prevent them??

Jan 17, 2009
I've been using the white Combat And traps (similar for small roaches). They don't last long and it takes a few days to start working, but they work wonders. I had my place sprayed several times, but didn't work at all. These traps are pretty small and your baby shouldn't put them in its mouth, but if you put them in the back of your shelves, drawers, and countertops, they wouldn't be easy to reach.

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
I put a powder down that I bought at the vet store in Sosua and in 30 minutes to an hour the ants were gone. After that you could clean up this powder but still leave a bit of it in areas where your baby cannot get at in (in the back of cupboards etc) and it should keep you ant free. Nothing else worked for us.

alabemos

Dec 15, 2004
I once lived in an apt. here that had a horrendous ant problem. You could leave something in the sink for less than a minute, and there would be swarms of ants on it. And if you dropped a crumb, they were there almost instantly. I sprayed a few times, and it didn't do much. Then I got serious and sprayed Raid or Baygon all around the doors and windows, every place I could imagine them coming in. It took me a few weeks of counterattacking after their every visit, but after that, I didn't have anything more than the occasional ant visitors that everyone has. And my lungs were still intact. I usually sprayed, then stayed out of the room for a while.

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
We just paid someone on saturday to do the whole apartment properly. Was 700 pesos. Was a referral from a friend who says it lasts about 6 months and you won't see any.

If you're in SD I can give you a number. If not I suggest a professional. Almost as cheap as a thing of baygon etc....

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Ref. alabemos remarks. I bought a couple cans of run of the mill ant spray at the grocery store. (still have most of it) When I discover ants feasting in my house I follow them back to where they emerge from the hole or crack and spray that area liberally. (just a few square inches) That way the chemicals are confined to a very small and usually out of the way area and the ants seem to stay away for a month or two after each application. When they do come back it always seems to be someplace new. It takes some patience.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
purple fabulouso kitchen degreaser

i now spray and wipe down my ktichen counters etc and have no more ants ever, seems to work like a charm

boca chica dave

Sep 25, 2004
I've been using the white Combat And traps (similar for small roaches). They don't last long and it takes a few days to start working, but they work wonders. I had my place sprayed several times, but didn't work at all. These traps are pretty small and your baby shouldn't put them in its mouth, but if you put them in the back of your shelves, drawers, and countertops, they wouldn't be easy to reach.

These ant traps are really bait. The bait is taken back to the queen and that's it for that nest. They work well for the tiny sugar ants.

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
Thanks for all suggestions.

What is the name of the ant traps? When I look im sure i only see ones for cockroaches or mice.

Peep2.....what is the name of the stuff you bought?

Gona stock up on everything and blast the little devils!

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Someone posted not to long ago that equal parts of baking soda and powdered sugar mixed together does an excellent job of getting rid of them, even the tiny sugar ants.

Best of all, it's non toxic to folks and pets...

That's interesting, I don't want to sound stupid but how do you apply it?

michelleh

Jan 25, 2009
Many of these suggestions are great... heading to the supermarket tomorrow, and will try the baking soda + powdered sugar trick. My current situation is the same as yours once was, alabemos. Enormous amount of ants... even in the bedroom now, which is ridiculous because I'm always careful to never leave traces of food there.

Better than the last apartment though... the roaches OWNED that place.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
What is the name of the ant traps? When I look im sure i only see ones for cockroaches or mice.

they are called matahormigas, i believe.
they are small round plastic thingies, you are supposed to place them in areas frequented by ants.
i tried it but it never worked for us.

in our first apartment in DR we had ants stealing cat food from the bowl :)

but bread crumbs was their favourite stuff, they carried pieces outside:

2j1sh95.jpg

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
Thanks for all suggestions.

Peep2.....what is the name of the stuff you bought?

Gona stock up on everything and blast the little devils!

Don't recall the manufacturer of the ant spray but I do seem to recall that a check of the active ingredients showed they were all about the same.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Kerosene & Pine Sol

Try a little Pine Sol and kerosene (diesel fuel) mixed in with your mop water
two or three times per week for two weeks when swabbing the floors. Don't overdue the mixture, maybe 5% of each and add water. If you overdue the mix it will be too slick. And of course keep counters free of foodstuffs, especially those containing sugar and derivatives. Most fumigators are not worth their weight in pesos.

TexasComputerGuy

Sep 6, 2009

Hey everyone, I'm having the same problem with tiny ants everywhere and have been looking for those white combat ant traps I used them in texas and they worked great, however where can I get them I've been to janets in cabarete but no luck and a smaller supermarket near LAX in cabarete but no luck and advice on where I could get them would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance