Orange Wireless Access Trouble

adude7

Aug 16, 2009
I am trying to help a friend with their wireless access problem in the DR. They have limited computer experience and are having trouble with their Orange wireless access. They signed a contract last December and it has been working with no problems until about 1 month ago. They live in Monte Plata and have tried to get help from the Orange office in Santo Domingo. Orange is telling them that they need to pay for a new wireless device, about 4000 pesos, to resolve the problem. The device is sort of a round disk, about 1 inch thick, that plugs into the USB port on their computer. The device came with the contract and did not cost anything extra at the time they signed up. The service cost about $50 (US) per month for unlimited access. If the problem is really with the wireless device, it doesn't seem right to me that they should have to pay to have it replaced given that they are still bound to this service by the contract. I would like to help but my Spanish is limited and I am not sure who I can call to make sure they are getting the correct information/support and are not being taken advantage of. I am not scheduled for my next trip to the DR until Oct. Any advice would be appreciated.