El Flow 1st year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i remember when we first talked about this place most reponses were negative and dangerous. a year later are people still feeling the same ?

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
I think El Flow is one of the best things happening on the strip, drinks are half the price of the other establishments, I get to introduce myself to twice as many chicas............:bunny::bunny:

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I think El Flow is one of the best things happening on the strip, drinks are half the price of the other establishments, I get to introduce myself to twice as many chicas............:bunny::bunny:

Now you don't have to wait for Classicos to open...lol

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
mess

It's a mess tonight, and I can imagine what it will be like about midnight and later. Car alarms were going off, cheap putas pinching walkers-by. And we left town by 8! Not that I don't get it, I just don't want it. Hope you guys have fun.........and be safe, with all that entails.
No crying tomorrow. It is 'dia de restauracion' after all, so restore yourselves.

Not only is El Flow prospering but I was talking to the owner last week and he is buying the X Bar and turning it into a disco with lower priced alcohol. he will close El Flow earlier and have the people head over to the new disco, At least thats what his plans are. Very nice guy by the way.

Reactions: mike l

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Not only is El Flow prospering but I was talking to the owner last week and he is buying the X Bar and turning it into a disco with lower priced alcohol. he will close El Flow earlier and have the people head over to the new disco, At least thats what his plans are. Very nice guy by the way.

Now we are talking, as the AC in the billiard room is great after some STEAMY DANCING !

Mr. Smooth

Jan 23, 2008
When I was in Sosua last April I spoke with a beach bar owner about El Flow and why beer there was much cheaper than other bars on the strip and elsewhere in town. There always was a good crowd in the late afternoons. I asked why other bar owners don't follow suit to drum up business. I was told that the owner of El Flow is able to buy his beer at a lower wholesale rate and his tax payment on his purchases are much less than what other bar owners pay. Does any of that sound right? Do you think somebody is getting a cut of the action from El Flow? Or is it just a bunch of bs from the competition? Whatever, I'll be there this Friday as I make my 5th trip to the DR. Sounds like El Flow has a solid " business model". I'll be happy to keep an extra 50 pesos in my pocket at all times.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
i've seen businesses come and go all over the tourist area and i'm wondering why this newbie colmado (well not so new now) is doing so well and no talking about expanding. most ex-pat business people and residents were once expressing fear along Pedro Clisante about the people that hung out there. one wonders though what will happen to this place if a few crimes happen there. sink or swim ?

i'm glad to see that we (tourists, ex-pats and dominicans) can all get along.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
When I was in Sosua last April I spoke with a beach bar owner about El Flow and why beer there was much cheaper than other bars on the strip and elsewhere in town. There always was a good crowd in the late afternoons. I asked why other bar owners don't follow suit to drum up business. I was told that the owner of El Flow is able to buy his beer at a lower wholesale rate and his tax payment on his purchases are much less than what other bar owners pay. Does any of that sound right? Do you think somebody is getting a cut of the action from El Flow? Or is it just a bunch of bs from the competition? Whatever, I'll be there this Friday as I make my 5th trip to the DR. Sounds like El Flow has a solid " business model". I'll be happy to keep an extra 50 pesos in my pocket at all times.

They pay the same itbis as anyone else. At least when they buy from us. They might get an extra caisse of presidente now and then for giving them exclusivity and volume. Flow and Clasico are big volume beer buyers. Probably the biggest in the area.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
El Flow is owned and run by a Dominican. It's modeled on the many large colomados you see all over the country. The prices are low, the music loud and the crowd typically Dominican. It's a simple formula that has been working for years.
The owner being Dominican and well known, attracts people. People attract people etc.

I have never seen a foreigner being able to duplicate this model. Why?
Most go after the tourism or expat business and don't know how Dominicans work business wise.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
is there a benefit to it being a colmado rather than a bar ? and is this the reason for the paper bag lol - like in the uk where people tried getting around alcohol laws by giving away a beer with a very expensive bag of peanuts

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
El Flow also has a great location, its very centrally located to the other discos and I believe it's the largest Colmado in El Batey and Charimicos. 50RD for a pequena fria is more affordable than the 80-100RD other bars and discos charge. You can also buy a bottle of brugal anejo and a coke for 170RD, not bad. Karoake night on Mondays attract a very good crowd.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
is there a benefit to it being a colmado rather than a bar ? and is this the reason for the paper bag lol - like in the uk where people tried getting around alcohol laws by giving away a beer with a very expensive bag of peanuts

Why the paper bag? This is the same throughout the entire DR.
El Flow is not anything new, the DR is full of El Flow's out side of Sosua etc.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I meant do you only get it in a bag in colmados,it has a little serviette around it at most bars does it not.

LoboNegro

Feb 5, 2008
El Flow is definitely a great place...you can buy alcohol to go after hours...drinks are cheap, allows plenty of space and breathability to interact w/ the locals instead of being in a club atmosphere with a lot of noise...

The ex pats that run their bars are trying to gouge as much money out of your pockets as they can,thats why El Flow is always crowded, it gives you a great price for your money.You would think the moron on the corner would lower his prices,He has 2-3 Germans sitting with him and 1-2 ugly hookers and no other customers and El Flow is bursting at the seems with people,right next door. This is everydayu for a year? Some business man he is.:) :)

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
El Flow is definitely a great place...you can buy alcohol to go after hours...drinks are cheap, allows plenty of space and breathability to interact w/ the locals instead of being in a club atmosphere with a lot of noise...

El Flow probably has the loudest sound system in el Batey!
It is fun for a few early cold ones.

LoboNegro

Feb 5, 2008
Damn...i jus had a flash back..the bartender that was working there that night(June)..she was hot....I wont forget her next time i'm down there in a few weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.