Ready to Leave NYC!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoffaCorleon

Aug 17, 2009
I am looking to work in the DR. I am fed up with the rat race of NYC. I have been in the Bar/Restaurant/Nightclub business for 10 years. I am willing to learn a new trade or use my expertise in my field. I have excellent customer srvice skills and speak/read/write excellent english. My spanish is limited to kitchen spanish, although I am a quick learner and eager to master the language. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Resume and refrences are available upon request.
I have been to DR several times and it has always been on the southern coast. I have been immersed in the culture here in NYC and the Dominican people and culture is amazing. I would greatly appreciate anyones help that may have knowledge of contacts for a Bar/Restaurant manager that is a native english speaker. I would also be interested in learning about positions in call centers.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I have been immersed in the culture here in NYC and the Dominican people and culture is amazing.
I am going to get beat for this but here goes.........
PLEASE do not mix Dom-York culture with Dominican culture, I spent the summer in Washington Heights and couldn't wait to get the hell out of there and back to Santiago!! I have never heard the word N*gga so much in my whole life and I'm black...and if I hear one more 50 cent song with a reggaeton twist, I am going to jail for murder.............
SHALENA

Reactions: badpiece33

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Yeah.. I generally don't make too much of a habit of agreeing with Shalena here (LOL), but I'm definitely on the same page on this one.. I was in Washington Heights last week for the first time and it was quite a shock.. its quite a different culture to the DR!

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Yeah.. I generally don't make too much of a habit of agreeing with Shalena here (LOL), but I'm definitely on the same page on this one.. I was in Washington Heights last week for the first time and it was quite a shock.. its quite a different culture to the DR!

Awww.... we make nice:cheeky:
SHALENA

PLEASE do not mix Dom-York culture with Dominican culture, I spent the summer in Washington Heights and couldn't wait to get the hell out of there and back to Santiago!! I have never heard the word N*gga so much in my whole life and I'm black...and if I hear one more 50 cent song with a reggaeton twist, I am going to jail for murder.............
SHALENA

took the words right out of my mouth.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
SHALENA

Very serious post but it is FUNNY AS HELL. That is sooooo true!!! I slapped a little cousin who called me the N word while casually speaking with me. I know he meant no harm. It was like saying dude or whatever but I guess these kids don't know the true meaning. Uuuugggghhhhh our youths....:ermm:

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
To the OP...

Please read very carefully to what people on here have to say. The search feature is your best friend on here. This has been covered numerous times.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Just a bit of a note about the population of the Second City of the Dominican Republic, which population (along with the rest of the diaspora) sends home about 12% of the GDP and is the second largest source of foreign currency. While it is true that they may not be the pure Dominican culture that one is used to here on the Island, at more than one million people, they certainly represent a force.

The majority of the immigrants to NYC were single women who worked for the most part at poverty level wages. According to studies done at CCNY, the second generation of Dominicans has registered the HIGHEST level of university graduation of ANY immigrant group in the history of NYC. That means, higher than Puerto Ricans, Irish, and Italians who all came in significant waves before them.

Last year, Dominicans won the Tony Award, the Pultizer Prize and the National Book Award.

So ok, they may have grown up through the ghetto... and I certainly hate Reggeton more every time I hear it.....

But WOW.... What the Dominicans have done in NYC is pretty impressive.... really impressive.... because... well, NYC is a tough place to make it.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
And a note to HoffaCorleone

They pay people nothing nothing nothing here... you will therefore make nothing here. The only thing that you can do here is to go into business here. And for that you need a Dominican who needs your skills and the art of finding a Dominican who needs your skills and whom you can trust.... well, Jimmy, Don Corleone.... that... that... is the art form

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
To the original poster. You need to be in the DR and make person to person contacts for best results. Do a search for call centre and contact any that have posted here but again no one will promise you a position unless you are already there.

Good luck

And so that we don't continue with Dominican history and culture discussion in the employment forum best to close this.

Status
Not open for further replies.