Windshield glass problem on rental car

vard

Aug 15, 2009
Hello !!

I am in Santo Domingo for 3 weeks and I have rented a car. Saturday when I was driving something hit my windshield and left a definite mark on it.

Do any of you know where I can get a quote for a auto glass repair job ?

Because I am not sure at this moment what is best, take it on my insurance (I have US 500 deductible) or wait until the Rental Agency tells me what they charge or fix it before handing it in.

In any case I guess it would be good to have a quote from a Auto Glass Repair centre.

BR//Alf

Feb 7, 2007
There is Dominican Glass Repair in Santiago. They are the ONLY ones in the DR who can do a pretty good job of repairing glass - stars, scratches, even broken glass. But you have to act QUICKLY before the damage gets bigger.

I once had a rental car before having my own car, on a trip to Santiago a small rock hit the windshield, made the "star" mark, the guys repaired it, took about 1 hour, cost about 1.500 pesos - the rental agency didn't even notice it.

I also had large and annoying scratches on my own windshield removed by them two times, great job, quick and inexpensive (considered to replacing the windshield).

Don't waste your time with their Santo Domingo branch (more a carwash than anything), they are useless at this, you HAVE to go to Santiago to get the job done.

They are on Estrella Sadhalla just after Ferreteria Hache (100m), on the left side, coming from Santo Domingo. tel. (809) 971-5152 and (809) 266-5152

Last edited:

vard

Aug 15, 2009
Hi Again !!

Thanks a lot for the reply.

Yes. They seem to be in both Santiago and Santa Domingo. I will check if they are open on Saturday. Then I could take the trip to Santiago in order to fix this problem.

But it is hard to believe that they are excellent in Santiago and useless in Santo Domingo. I am tempted to try the one in Santo Domingo.

BR//Vard

Feb 7, 2007
But it is hard to believe that they are excellent in Santiago and useless in Santo Domingo. I am tempted to try the one in Santo Domingo.

Don't hold your breath, been there, done that. Even though it's about 18 months since I attempted to have something done by them (in SD), from what I was told by people in Santiago (visited them 3 times - 1x rental car "star", 2x my own car windshield scratches) - the people in ST are experts for glass repair, in SD for washing cars. The "glass repair" thing is a franchise, and they are independent. People in ST do glass repair only and that's the only thing they do. They don't change tires or oil or wash your car as SD office does. ST repair glass and repair glass and repair glass.

But your choice, let me know how it went, and what your experience was. Maybe they stepped up their service in SD since I last visited them.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Vard, a very friendly piece of advice. You asked for informed info, rubio has given you very informed info, having gone to the trouble of getting good advice, don't ignore it!
Just want you to get a good outcome!

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
it may be they are good in santiago, but i am quite sure there are several good options in santo domingo as well.

vard

Aug 15, 2009
Hello !!

Thanks a lot for the information. I was worried sick about this issue. I asked my Company if I should show the car to the rental company or drive to Santiago. I showed them the good recommendation I had got here.

But they told the rental agency about the problem and asked me to go there.

Yesterday I went to the rental company. After a 1 hour wait while the Rental Girl drove the car to a mechanic she came back and said it was no problem. So they gave me a new car and wished me good luck. I celebrated with Presidente Beer and som Brugal Extra Viejo Rum.

BR//Vard

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Future reference , in Santo Domingo on Ortega Gasset, opposite the Olympic Stadium is a huge glass repair place. It's all yellow and black, you cannot miss it.