Other options besides EPS for shipping?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Lots. Business Mail serves me well in Santiago. There are evangelical groups that have deliver services, too.

HB

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
Thanks for the post.

Do you have the names of these companies?

I currently ship with EPS, but their prices are high, and I visited their office recently and their employees were clueless.

Thanks again.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
i've used most of them and ended up with EPS.

You can try:
- vimenca
- business mail

there are others

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I lived in santiago. business mail was unreliable and so was vimenca. others have had better experiences. i have probably 2000 books over 8 years i've received via various couriers. EPS is better with online notifications, i guess vimenca has that finally.

Mar 2, 2008
I do not want to beat a dead horse, and I have posted regarding EPS in the past. Anyone interested can do a search.

I'd just like to add that each shipping company has its own good points and its own bad points. Some are more expensive than others, but might give better service. The specific details should be researched and considered before deciding on one service.

At the present time, I am using Banker Trust, in Sosua. However, they are expensive, and that is becoming a factor for me. For now, at least, I'll continue to use them, because they are easy to do business with and nothing has been lost, broken or stolen, as yet.

But if and when the situation changes, I will change my choice of shipper as well. Things have a tendency to change, and that is particularly true here.

Feb 7, 2007
There is also pick' n' send Inicio - they are new, cheaper than EPS, and reliable for packages (not that for mail - no separate mail address). Online tracking needs tune up (you already have the package in hands when you get email you received package in Miami). Received many packages and all of them in Higuey in 2 days, 3 days max.
Offices in SD, ST and Higuey. This is good option for receiving packages, they round up and down the weight (0.5 down, 0.51 up) to the nearest pound and they charge per actual weigh. Good and cheap for receiving packages, but not for mail. First pound RD$150 (includes customs clearance), next pound RD$110. Taxes included.

There is also DHL easyshop. DHL Easy Box
Offices in SD and ST.
They are reliable, reliable online tracking, not worth for postal mail (they charge as packages), cheap per pound, BUT they round UP to the nearest pound, and they also use volumetric weight, more than 50% of packages I received via them had volumetric instead of actual weight and THAT was expensive. I received a dress suit I ordered from one online store and it came in a big box. Weighted about 6 pounds with the box, but volumetric weight was about 20+, we finally settled at my paying for 10 pounds.
This is good option for receiving small and heavy packages (e.g. car parts). No set up or annual fees. Also, the rates they quote on the website are without taxes and customs clearance.

wimbleton

Apr 15, 2009
hi O live in cabarete and want to have 1 book pus a small computer chip brought over .which do you think is my best choice approx the cost ? also way off this track i have an older motorcycle Yamaha 250 4 stroke that either needs a new starter motor or rebuilt .Any ideas ? Paul

wimbleton

Apr 15, 2009
anyone coming from ftlauderdale or miami in next couple of weeks

hi any one know someone coming over from #1 ft lauderdale or #2 miami or #3 florida anywhere i could have learning book and computer chip brought over by airline to puerto plata (POP) email me at corizone@hotmail.com thanks paul

drimports

Aug 25, 2009
Hello Everyone I am new to the DR1 Website and this is my first post.

I lived in La Romana for much of my childhood. My father worked at Casa De Campo and I attended Abraham Lincoln School. I still keep in touch with a lot of my childhood friends which is what leads me to the topic of this post and specifically to doing business in the Dominican Republic.

I currently am involved in the import/export business and do a lot of business with Fed Ex. Because of the large quantities of shipments that my company makes we have a significant volume discount through Fed Ex. All shipments are delivered to your destination within one to three business days.

This discount is significant and can save a lot of money on shipping merchandise down to the Dominican at a reduced price. I am willing to pass some of the discount to interested legitimate customers. Please only serious inquiries only. You provide me with the dimensions of the items you are going to ship and I provide you with a quote directly from Fed Ex. The price to ship will be significantly lower than the price you would get directly from Fed Ex.

I am also willing to take personal shopping orders. This could be used for many different reasons. One that comes to mind is Christmas gifts for your kids. Maybe even larger products such as TV's, or appliances. Again you will be provided with a shipping slip and tracking number to be able to track your package throughout the process.

Please contact me if you are interested. I am also looking for local people in the Dominican Republic to help me spread the word and I am willing to pay generous commission to anyone that helps me grow my business. During these tough times I am sure a little side income could benefit everybody.

Please email me directly at mcoder@drimports.com and I am willing to explain these services a little more in detail.

Thank you for everyone's time and look forward to interacting with some of you members on this great forum.

Sincerely,

Miguel A. Coder
Dominican Republic Import and Export Co.

Bloomhaven

Apr 19, 2007
I use Mail Boxes Etc. in Las Terrenas, and I believe they also have offices in SD, Santiago, La Romana, not sure where else. They've been very reliable for me, but I'm not sure how prices compare to other options.

Feb 7, 2007
we have a significant volume discount through Fed Ex. All shipments are delivered to your destination within one to three business days.

In order for you to get competitive with EPS/Business Mail/DHL Easyshop/Pick n Send / Vimenpaq and others

you would need to get to under 3 to 3.5 dollars per pound, taxes and custom charges included. These people also deliver in 1 to 3 business days...

Because I know you will most likely be not able to get into that price range on individual packages, if you are interested in shipping business, I would look into consolidation schemes and opening yet another competitor to EPS - but on their terms (basically, you would need a warehouse in the USA, online tracking system, competitive per-pound price, ability to handle postal mail, customs clearance connections in SD, and disbursement warehous ein SD and other parts of the DR).