Use of Representative...re Immigration Canada

Sweetkiwi

Jul 16, 2009
Hi Everyone,

I hope this is not a silly question. I'm sponsoring my husband and we included a Use of Representative form with me as the representative. I was hoping that meant that any mail would be coming to me. We did this in part because we worried about the reliability of the post system there.

thanks for your reply in advance.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hi
I take it this is for Immigration Canada and your papers are being processed in Haiti and your husband is living in the DR?

Sweetkiwi

Jul 16, 2009
Hi
I take it this is for Immigration Canada and your papers are being processed in Haiti and your husband is living in the DR?
Oops, sorry. Yes, I live in Canada and his application is being processed in Haiti- he lives in Santo Domingo.

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
It is a GREAT thing that you filled that form out!! It is best to have that done right from the beginning!

Good Luck!

Sweetkiwi

Jul 16, 2009
It is a GREAT thing that you filled that form out!! It is best to have that done right from the beginning!

Good Luck!
So does that mean that I will be receiving all the communication? I was worried because when I was reading different timelines it appeared that the Dominican being sponsored was receiving mail (and really late too!).

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Hi SweetKiwi!

Welcome to the Group!

The Use of Representative Form allows you to make inquiries and have access to information on his file. It doesn't have anything to do with where mail is sent.

Whether they contact you or your husband seems to depend on the officer assigned to your file and/or how you filled out the forms. Some people only recieve emails and others only snail mail.

On one of the forms they ask for the applicants home address & then the mailing address and if they have an email.

Communication is sent to whichever address you listed as your husbands mailing address on the application form.

If you want to ensure they have the correct mailing information & to update them with your preferred method of communication you can do that by following the instructions in this link.

https://dmp-portal.cic.gc.ca/cicemail/intro-eng.aspx?mission=port-au-prince

Don't stress if they don't reply to you. The odds of receiving a reply are slim. As long as you include your file number or client id number, husbands full name and date of birth with the inquiry (which i believe they ask for anyway) then you can be pretty confident that they got it.

Good Luck!
Sangria

Sweetkiwi

Jul 16, 2009
Hi SweetKiwi!

Welcome to the Group!

The Use of Representative Form allows you to make inquiries and have access to information on his file. It doesn't have anything to do with where mail is sent.

Whether they contact you or your husband seems to depend on the officer assigned to your file and/or how you filled out the forms. Some people only recieve emails and others only snail mail.

On one of the forms they ask for the applicants home address & then the mailing address and if they have an email.

Communication is sent to whichever address you listed as your husbands mailing address on the application form.

If you want to ensure they have the correct mailing information & to update them with your preferred method of communication you can do that by following the instructions in this link.

https://dmp-portal.cic.gc.ca/cicemail/intro-eng.aspx?mission=port-au-prince

Don't stress if they don't reply to you. The odds of receiving a reply are slim. As long as you include your file number or client id number, husbands full name and date of birth with the inquiry (which i believe they ask for anyway) then you can be pretty confident that they got it.

Good Luck!
Sangria
Thank you so much for your answer, it was very clear and concise. :)

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
no problem!

i worried about the same thing when we applied so i put my address as his mailling address.

in the end they never sent anything to us so it didnt matter...we only received 1 email & some phone calls.

Sweetkiwi

Jul 16, 2009
Sangria,

Did you receive an AOR from PAP? Or was it an email? I understand this will be the letter that has the b-file number on it...? Or am I confused...? :-/

sangria

Bronze
May 16, 2006
Typically AOR's are letters that are sent out by mail and have your immigration file listed on them (B file number).

In the past, very few people received them but in the last year people have started to get them.

I believe most received them about a month or so after they went "in process".

Things are different now as last year we all waited about 3-4 months to see the words "in process" on e-cas. Now it shows up within a week or 2...

I would wait a few months to see if one comes. If not, you could again use the case specific enquiry or have your MP request the Bfile number for you so that you can follow along with ecas. In the meantime any info will be available using your client id number.

Don't worry about being confused because what happens to some does not happen to others. It is a very unpredictable system and their procedures seem to change like the weather. As long as you eventually see the words "in process" on e-cas then you know they have it and they are working on it.

Sweetkiwi

Jul 16, 2009
Last question about this topic. Are AOR's sent to the person being sponsored or to the sponsor themselves...?

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
Just like Sangria said...some receive e-mails, some snail mail, other's phone calls! It depends on the Immigration Officer in charge of your file.

I received an e-mail with my husband's BFile number on it. I had my husband's e-mail password to check his e-mail so I could see if he reecived anything. (He didn't know how to use a computer until he got here so the only way the e-mail would get checked is if I did it...I wasn't being a controlling wife...hee hee!)

Johana

May 24, 2006
Sweetkiwi,

don't panic if you don't see the website change under your client id number. This has happened to a few of us - myself included. The website never changed under my number -even after my husband arrived.
After seeing people post that had applied just before and after me that they saw the website change to In Process (plus a bit more time just in case) I went to my MP to get a status update.

Best of luck :)