Clarification Re: Moving with Dog.

Cdncpl

Oct 31, 2007
We have read several posts and searched the forums about relocating with a dog. What we understand from that is that vaccination and health certificates are required within 30 and 15 days of arrival. However in the living area here on DR1, it states that these documents must be authenticated by the DR consulate prior to departure.

Can anyone provide any clarification on this issue? We will be arriving from Canada and will be bringing our Shih Tzu. Air Canada seems to have the same info on requirements, and is not aware of the need to have documents authenticated.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated....

K&T

donnaparadise

Sep 1, 2003
paralaestrella.com
Your dog

You need a vet certificate that the dog has had all its shots in the proper timeframe. Once you get to the airport, you will go to a representative of the Dept. of Agriculture for the Republic and they will stamp your papers. You pay a small fee (I paid $700 pesos a couple of years ago) and then you are good to go.

You do not have to go to the consulate for any signing or stamping. Just get the vet certification and you are good to go.

Please be careful of your pup while in the DR. Make sure you keep up to date with tick and flea medication and don't let it slip. The ticks down here can cause terrible problems and even cause renal problems, which ****zus are prone to getting anyways. It is hard to get good dog food for this breed and they can have a lot of problems with tick infestation all year around.

I have two Llasa Apsos and had them in the DR for several years. They are back in Canada because they are too old to deal with the climate and conditions now.

Good luck with your trip.

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
dont need to go to consulate

i brought my dog, last september. it was $300 pesos and the stamped the paperwork. My dog is large, they had him for over 2 hours and at the end had listed him as a female....lol. not sure what they were doing for two hours. anyways it was quite simple. just make sure the dog has its shots,

my daughter brought her dog, small, in cabin and it was on a few minutes and also 300 pesos. very very simple

islandb

Apr 9, 2007
We travelled with our labrador to Puerto Plata a few month ago. The requirements are as follows: you require an International Health Certificate,
issued by your Vet. This has to be dated no longer than a week before you arrive in the DR. You require a record of your pets shots including rabis
vaccinations, these have to be up to date, none of this has to be translated.
On arrival you will see the inspector from the Secretaria de Estado de Agricultura at the airport, in Puerto Plata we paid 400 pesos. Very easy and
pleasant. If you leave with your dog you will require a Certificado de Salud issued through a Vet in the DR about a 1000 pesos and than aCertificado
Zoosanitario, Exportacion issued by the same chap at the airport cost
400 pesos. We travel a lot with our dog, travelling to and from the DR was
one of the most pleasant experiences we have had.
Watch for the ticks etc. thay are pretty bad in the DR.
Have a good trip and enjoy

Cdncpl

Oct 31, 2007
Thanks to everyone!

Thank you for sharing your experiences.... Greatly appreciated!
K&T:classic::classic:

heldengebroed

Bronze
Mar 9, 2005
Came i n last week with 2 dogs

10us dollars per dog and a paper from yur vet stating that yur dog has recieved treatment in spanish against internal and external parasites and aproved by the ministery of health from your country. And if you speak spanish it is clean sailing trough the proces
controle of the dogs was non existent

Greetings

Johqn