Garage sale-ing in the DR - fun!

mockingbird

Apr 3, 2007
Looking for a garage sale, table top sale, open market, or pulga????....

Vecinos, a friendly neighborhood resort located on the main highway, 300 meters east of the Texaco at Cabarete's east edge, has just what you need.

Every Saturday for the past three months they've hosted a flea market, offering a place to shop for treasures, sell one's unwanted "stuff", or just get together for lunch and catch up on the latest neighbourhood news buzz with friends. Internationals and locals mingle in their treasure-hunt, with hot buttered popcorn in hand.

Among their weekly vendors are Christine + Margit, "the German ladies" from German Homestyle Cakes, who supply some of the best fresh pastries and bizcochos around! Their baked goods are stocked by the most popular supermarkets in Sosua + Cabarete. Call them at 809-571-4309 to place a special order. Once you've sampled their excellent lunch and dessert items, you'll be back for more + ask for some to bring home!

Deb Suwala, from Cabarete Organics (829-793-0989), brings a freshly picked assortment of organic vegetables. Her basil, arugula, spring mix lettuces, peppers, eggplant, tomatoes and even flowers are very well received! She's developed quite a following of customers who come every week to see what she's brought this time, and stock up on her awesome produce.

Expats moving back home find a good outlet at the Market, to liquidate all their household items. Other vendors (200 pesos gets you a table for the day) have tables full of material, curtains, bed linens, clothes, books, puzzles, kitchen ware, paintings, electronics and other various treasures. Some even drop off pets, vehicles, furniture and appliances for sale (at a 10% commission).

The owners, Les and Lynda (809 571 0260 to reserve a table)....serve coffee (hot or iced), limonada, beer, the best crisp pizza slices around, and free popcorn. mmm

Open every Saturday (rain or shine) from 10 - 3pm, everyone is welcome for some shopping, lunch, conversation or reserve your own table and join the fun. A variety of vendors sell whatever products or services they have - and shoppers browse for their next "gotta-have-it-bargain".

It's developing into quite a well-attended and interesting way to wile away a Saturday with friends.

Go "sale-ing" at Vecinos on Saturdays, and see what all the "buzz" is about........

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Has it got busier than a couple of months ago, I may check it out again sometime.
In the meantime there is a one every other saturday(its on this saturday) at the jolly roger bar in Sos?a on pedro clisante street from about 9am until around 2-30pm - so you can wazz between the two if you feel the need for more car booty

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
wazz? wazz? that's a term we used to use for going for a wee "i'm just going for a wazz" LOL

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Its a multi-function word in the Northwest
1.wazz it over here
2.go for a wazz
3.wazz around town

EnclineDesigns

Aug 21, 2007
web.mac.com
I have a bunch of household items that I need to get rid of. I'm contemplating just giving them away or if I should try selling them at Vecinos Saturday. I'm not sure if it would be worth my time. Does anyone have any idea what kind of prices you can ask for such items, that are in good condition and fairly new? For example, half of the original price, 1/3 of the original price? I really have no idea where to start. Thanks!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Well

I have a bunch of household items that I need to get rid of. I'm contemplating just giving them away or if I should try selling them at Vecinos Saturday. I'm not sure if it would be worth my time. Does anyone have any idea what kind of prices you can ask for such items, that are in good condition and fairly new? For example, half of the original price, 1/3 of the original price? I really have no idea where to start. Thanks!

In the US the idea of a garage sale is to clean out the crap. So you price to get rid of it. prices depend on how bad you need the space its occupying.