Any way to restore dried out cigars?

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
A call for help to Hillbilly, or other experts: I just discovered I still have a box of very fine and delicious cigars, but unfortunately they have been squirreled away for almost a year and have gotten kind of "crispy". They are still in their tubes in the box.

Is there anything I can do to restore moisture to them to make them "smokeable" again???? I am drooling at the thought. Thanks in advance.

cassieann

May 9, 2009
apple cigars mmm

Chop a nice juicy apple up and put it in with them if they are very dry you may have to keep doing it for a couple of days, it will also make them taste slightly of apple but the other is potato lol far better the apple

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
I am no expert, actually I can't stand cigars, but a few of my friends are fanatics and they say to put them in a cigar humidor with distilled water.
Apparently you need to slowly get the moisture back in without shocking them.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Are they in tubes?
Okay:
Get a large sealable container.
Put the tubes, opened, in the container, an put a dampened paper towel, folded a bit to insure that no water gets to the cigars, on top. Put this in a cool place, like the floor of you closet, if your room is air conditioned, or the veggie drawer of your fridge. Leave them there for a few days...do not rush this. Repeat it a couple of times. Then carefully feel one of the cigars to test it...Do not rush this process...it took a year to dry out, it will take a couple of weeks to get back the freshness, at least.

Of course, I share your pain, and JD does have a good heart ...(NOT!!)

HB

What Malibrook said is also viable IF you have a good humidor...then it will take a couple of months, perhaps...but it is viable.

Aspire

Nov 11, 2007
I put them in a sealed sandwich/storage bag with a piece of bread & moist paper towl, then place them in the frig for a week or so.

I don't find that they return to true freshness, they can then at least smoke them...

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
Bliss !

Ahh, what wonders... saved....

In August, I discovered my cache of very dry, very sad 25 Montecristo 44 x 5 1/2 cigars tucked away in the far reaches of my closet. As a trial, I took 8 of my precious stash and used HB's method, (sorry, I didn't want to pollute my fine tobacco with apple flavor) removed the caps from the tubes, and let them rest in the bottom of the frig. Changed the damp paper towel every 2 weeks, carefully wiped the condensation off the interior of the Tupperware lid each time, and waited 6 weeks.

PERFECT! All but the last little bit under the uncut tip was nice and moist, and boy did I enjoy that cigar. Now I can start restoring the others.

The only way it could be better would be to "discover" that I had some more Montecristo Delacroix 50 x 7's tucked away too, but I know that's not the case . (sighhh). I have to look up my DR1 pal in the South the next time I come over to find some of these - Nacional stopped selling them the last time I looked.

Thank you HB, and others for your help.

B

BettyDiamond

whatever you do ! dont light it, this tends to dry it out even more

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Ain't patience a kick?? By just waiting a few weeks, going slow, you get great cigars, back to perfection...

Congratulations on a job well done!!

HB