Beware when driving at night

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
There are a lot of fliers being handed out in Sosua, I believe allegedly issued by the Police, although I haven't actually seen one myself, warning about a new risk. They claim there is a gang operating on the island and their method of operation is to drive at night with no lights on. The first oncoming vehicle flashing them because of this becomes their victim, they will change direction, pursue that vehicle and driver and rob them by whatever means.

I have absolutely no evidence of this and would be interested to know if anyone else knows any more about it. It could be a hoax but the hearsay is pretty nasty and I would hate anyone to fall victim to this if it can be avoided for the sake of not flashing your lights....

Linda Stapleton.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
It could be a hoax but the hearsay is pretty nasty and I would hate anyone to fall victim to this if it can be avoided for the sake of not flashing your lights....
It's not like flashing lights indicate an easy target with lots of cash.

I would think they would want to identify and target a reasonably nice vehicle with a higher probability of having occupants who are worth robbing.

Linda Stapleton

Jun 3, 2003
The DR is way behind, then....

Thanks so much for this. Puts the whole thing in perspective and as the most recent version here is being circulated in Spanish, it is obviously hitting a new target group. Quite understandable that the group receiving the information hadn't heard about it before - taxi drivers, moto conchos etc., etc.

I spoke to a neighbour about it this morning and she was aware of this hoax existing in Canada years ago, but as I was no longer living in England when it started there, this was the first I had heard of it.

I will put the word out amongst my Dominican friends and at least we can hopefully stop this becoming a panic maker in this area.

Thanks a lot for the link.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
I avoid flashing,hand gestures,facial expressions and virtually anything that make me noticed by anyone that is doing something stupid.

Best not to annoy anyone when you are not sure what rules they are playing to.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Fear mongering at it's best. It would be great for a movie script though....

Maybe.
However, I do remember times when that was the cool thing to do around Los Angeles (Ca.). In other words, it did happen. I would not be surprised to hear there was some truth to it in PR too. But then yes, I think that some of these internet spooks may be hoaks.

I can agree with JR, there really is not much sense in trying to gesticulate, light flash, or otherwise try to patronize idiots who think it's cool to drive without lights at night.

... J-D.

Jun 15, 2008
Fear mongering at it's best. It would be great for a movie script though....

don't start writing a scenario, extremeR, it was already done :) i believe the movie is called "urban legend", it was one of those teen horror movies. you know - the "i know what you did last summer" crap type of thing...