americans living in DR, why?

okgo

Jul 29, 2009
just out of curiousity,

For those of us who are American living in the DR, what bought you to the island? Business, Pleasure?

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Choice was retire early here (didn't work as got bored and went back to work here) or kill myself for another 12 years back in the US.

Bob K

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Early retirement, offshore medical policy, doing something useful for Haiti, the weather, the Dominicans, the weather, the cost of living, the sense of being outside the plastic curtain, the longing to live in more than one language,

did i mention the weather?

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Early retirement, offshore medical policy, doing something useful for HaitiThat bought you to the D.R.??
the weather, the Dominicans, the weather, the cost of living,
Cost more in the D.R. to live the same way as in the U.S.
the sense of being outside the plastic curtain, the longing to live in more than one language,

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
No, actually it does not

Early retirement, offshore medical policy, doing something useful for HaitiThat bought you to the D.R.??
the weather, the Dominicans, the weather, the cost of living,
Cost more in the D.R. to live the same way as in the U.S.
the sense of being outside the plastic curtain, the longing to live in more than one language,

When I first came here I thought that I could just stay for a couple of years and move over to Haiti..when things calmed down, as they have. But then I decided that I was not going to be able to be able to afford to live in Haiti which is about half again as expensive for any sort of comfort. And I just could not swing it.

So I decided to make the best of it and now have found that there was plenty to do here that could help the two countries understand each other... So yes, I do help Haiti by living here. I cross post on three forums and have two apprentice Haitian journalists. Along the way, I got to like the Dominicans, although it was not easy since I came here loving the Haitians.

You can understand why that would be a hard introduction.

Actually, I live on about half of what it cost me to live the same lifestyle in the US. Plus I have a fantastic cleaning lady (may her name be blessed) a luxury that I could never afford in the States. And I can swim in the pool when ever I want, instead of between 12 and 1 and 5 and 6, sharing a lane with 4 others.

And I have no heating bill. I am never cold. I have sunshine almost all of the year. I hear birdsong every day. And the trees are always green.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
I wanted to revise that a bit since I live in the Capital. So I would want to live in NYC or DC.

Check out the rentals for a two and half bedroom, two bath apartment with balcony, water view in those cities and get back to me on that, ok?

I really do insist on the balcony because I have be accustomed to feeding the birds and having my cafecito with them in the early morning. But it does not have to be a full river view. Here I can only see a slice of the sea, through the palm trees, off my back balcony.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
sorry that would be 7 to ten times more expensive

I wanted to revise that a bit since I live in the Capital. So I would want to live in NYC or DC.

Check out the rentals for a two and half bedroom, two bath apartment with balcony, water view in those cities and get back to me on that, ok?

I really do insist on the balcony because I have be accustomed to feeding the birds and having my cafecito with them in the early morning. But it does not have to be a full river view. Here I can only see a slice of the sea, through the palm trees, off my back balcony.

so it would be 7 to ten times more expensive to have my lifestyle in either of my two cities in the States.

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
When I first came here I thought that I could just stay for a couple of years and move over to Haiti..when things calmed down, as they have. But then I decided that I was not going to be able to be able to afford to live in Haiti which is about half again as expensive for any sort of comfort. And I just could not swing it.

So I decided to make the best of it and now have found that there was plenty to do here that could help the two countries understand each other... So yes, I do help Haiti by living here. I cross post on three forums and have two apprentice Haitian journalists. Along the way, I got to like the Dominicans, although it was not easy since I came here loving the Haitians.

You can understand why that would be a hard introduction.

Actually, I live on about half of what it cost me to live the same lifestyle in the US. Plus I have a fantastic cleaning lady (may her name be blessed) a luxury that I could never afford in the States. And I can swim in the pool when ever I want, instead of between 12 and 1 and 5 and 6, sharing a lane with 4 others.

And I have no heating bill. I am never cold. I have sunshine almost all of the year. I hear birdsong every day. And the trees are always green.

Seems you are blind since you've met the pastor in your barrio.

I own a property in Florida, one in Canada and sold the one I had in the D.R.( nothing to do with $$ but being robbed at gun point) and it cost much more in the D.R. to have the same life standard.. How do you think it cost to play golf in Cap Cana ??

Don't leave your house alone, even for 2 days, sin watchingman in the D.R. or you'll have to buy new fridge, oven, washer, sheets, towels etc etc... Never happened in Canada neither in Florida even for a 6 months leave. Those houses are not in gated community

Last edited:

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
so.. because YOU didnt have a good experience, or pay less, that means no one else is allowed to?

obviously, mountainannie is happy with thier descision, as are plenty of other american and european ex-pats.

is there any reason why the post can't remain on track to what the op asked?

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
most of all,freedom....do what you want when you want,long as it does not affect anyone....weather....and of course the great dominican people....
bob

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Please expand on this answer Celt if you don't mind. What were you curious about? What did you find? Were you disappointed? Would you do it again? Any advice for those pondering a move? We wait!

I was busting the OP's crokies by misspelling curiosity as curiousity.

I came to get away from nosey 5 oh's but that hasn't worked out. ;)

My advice to you, badge boy, is sell all you have, give it to the poor and then come join the poor begging in the streets. :laugh:

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005
just out of curiousity,

For those of us who are American living in the DR, what bought you to the island? Business, Pleasure?

This is the real land of the freed. The US freedom is not even close to what we have here.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
This is the real land of the freed. The US freedom is not even close to what we have here.

I agree totally & I think one realizes it more and more over time when they make trips 'back home'... but it does put the requirement of more responsibility as you as an individual, especially when it comes to personal safety. You really don't have anyone looking out for you - police, ambulance service, traffic controls, etc.