Puerto Rico

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Does anyone know if Puerto Rico is considered living in the US in the eyes of the immigration service? I do not want to move the wife to the mainland US but I would consider PR. I am interested in knowing if we applied for a US citizen visa for her and moved to PR would they consider that living in the US for terms of citizenship?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Does anyone know if Puerto Rico is considered living in the US in the eyes of the immigration service? I do not want to move the wife to the mainland US but I would consider PR. I am interested in knowing if we applied for a US citizen visa for her and moved to PR would they consider that living in the US for terms of citizenship?

Puerto Ricans are U.S. citizens.
You are in the U.S. if you are in P.R, American Virgin Islands, etc.
SantiagoDR

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Ditto absolutely positively no question about it.... US flag US dollar US customs US immigration US Coast Guard..US mail service, US banks.Walmart, Kmart, JC Penny and MEDICARE.

The only difference is that Puerto Ricans get to pay their income tax to Puerto Rico rather than the Federal government (not sure about all the SS provisions), get to be in charge of their local education system, get FEMA .. the hurricane guys'' protection and money, lots of Federal aid money,

Puerto Rico is an Associated Free State,known as a Commonwealth, whereas the Virgin Islands are just territories. Puerto Rico has its own quasi independent government, elects its own governor, conducts its own internal affairs, has its own laws, and is a Spanish speaking country. You can be a lawyer in Puerto Rico and not even speak English unless you want to practice in the Federal Courts which are conducted in English.

Cost of living is much higher than here as well since they do not grow a thing....

There is always a tortured vote on Statehood vs Commonwealth... with a small vote for independence.... Just last year they had to start paying sales tax since before that they were getting whopping subsidies for having the US Navy base in Fajardo (largest in the World ) and using Vieques as a bombing range (despite the 10,000 residents)I know all this because I crossed into the bombing range to help stop the bombing, became a heroine for Vieques, (which is where I think I lost my last Che t-shirt!)

The base was closed and ever since then the US money has become less and less.....
But the votes still stay around 50 50 ... they have a good deal going...

more than you wanted to know perhaps...

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
wow

Thanks. In general the Dominicans are prisoners of the island as far as getting to US, England or Canada. After four years of marriage we were turned down cold for a simple visitors visa to the US. Wanted to visit friends in LA for two weeks. A real shock. I do not want to live in the US after four years here in the DR, however, I could possibly like PR. I have become very cynical about any kind of a US visitors visa but PR being only a short distance away and still being a latin country is beginning to look better and better. The idea of my wife and I living in Miami is hard to imagine. I know she would hate it. Thanks for all the help. Love this site. Guess the next step is a little more research and a ferry ride to PR to check it out. So in PR we pay US income tax to the PR govt? Is it the same tax rate?

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Thanks. In general the Dominicans are prisoners of the island as far as getting to US, England or Canada. After four years of marriage we were turned down cold for a simple visitors visa to the US. Wanted to visit friends in LA for two weeks. A real shock. I do not want to live in the US after four years here in the DR, however, I could possibly like PR. I have become very cynical about any kind of a US visitors visa but PR being only a short distance away and still being a latin country is beginning to look better and better. The idea of my wife and I living in Miami is hard to imagine. I know she would hate it. Thanks for all the help. Love this site. Guess the next step is a little more research and a ferry ride to PR to check it out. So in PR we pay US income tax to the PR govt? Is it the same tax rate?

To me, living in P.R. is harder to imagine

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Not Federal Tax

PR does not pay US Federal Income Tax they pay a PR tax and it is a different rate. They also are elgible for MediCare, and Social Security, there also a Welfare of some kind that is from the US, As Anne Said they have a good deal going, and probably if they are smart will not change.
If you get out of San Juan other areas are safer, and calmer. but you still will have to get your wife either a vistors visa, or easier go for residency.

Problem with that is it can be revoked I believe depending on how long your out of the country?