Organic produce in Cabarete? I hear someone has started a box delivery program...

Status
Not open for further replies.

flipflops

Aug 24, 2009
Hey, I hear someone is doing an organic produce delivery program like in the states. In Cabarete or Sousa?

If anyone knows about this or how to get in touch with these people...PLEEZE let me know!

Thanks!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Wow, Anna, the head office for Riverford is Buckfastleigh, Devon - just a few miles from my home town and a good friend of mine works for them so I should have known.

Thanks, Caz, have made a note of the contact info you posted.

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
Anna,

Even if this is SPAM, it would be great to know about this project.. I spend the winter in Cabarete and know how difficult it is to get good quality produce....

Thanks
Suzanne

If the first person that replies only has 1 post we'll take that as spam. ;)

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
isnt most of the veg here organic, it cant possibly look that bad if they are using chemicals

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I think I met the people that are doing this - originally from Seattle I think? Nice couple. Not too far from you WB I think. May have mentioned them to you when I met them - in Cabarete a few months ago.

Caz

May 15, 2004
Anna - I believe they are out near Whirleybird and close to the Yasica, but I don't know exactly. They are just starting out and sell produce at the pulga in Cabarete East on Saturdays - mixed salad leaves, heirloom tomatoes, flowers, chutnies and jellies - whatever is ready on the day.

flipflops

Aug 24, 2009
Thanks for all the great info guys. I e-mailed Debb and looks like some great stuff! Getting my box next Tuesday, yay, no more green tomatoes, iceberg lettuce, and mealy eggplant!

Christian Rieger

Dec 11, 2005
First Class Vegetables.

The tomatoes are excellent, best I ever had and I have been growing organically since 1965, from Connecticut and Long Island to Key West and Montserrat. I suspect part of her success is adding bat guano to the soil.

I have not had better string beans either, and I am usually not a big fan of them. I eat them raw, because the flavor and sweetness are so good, it seems cooking reduces them to the ordinary.

Christian Rieger

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Organic is definitely the best way. This was a bad year for tomatoes in New Jersey, but a friend of mine had a bumper crop - he swears it's the chicken poop he used. Not many bats at the Jersey Shore :)

JohnnyG

Oct 10, 2009
We use a mixture of manures including bats, its what makes the difference. If anyone is interested give me a shout

Last edited by a moderator:
May 24, 2009
www.swellsurfcamp.com
isnt most of the veg here organic, it cant possibly look that bad if they are using chemicals

I have to agree with you JR - I was told that there were no chemicals used in the DR and that's why there is no 'shelf-life'. If that's not correct, hats off to anyone who comes up with a good business idea and is professional about it (and several people have told me that the organic box of veggies is very good).

Status
Not open for further replies.