boosting internet speed?

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
We've just moved from Bavaro to Punta Cana and our internet download speed is now only a slug like 7 to 10 kbps!!

The Thomson wireless modem worked fine in Cocotal.

What, if anything, can I do to increase the speed?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
that is a very very difficult problem to solve. you may even get better luck with a different isp

carib

Jul 16, 2002
where?

Where are you in Punta Cana?
Service around the airport & Punta Cana Village is usually good (although getting a phone is almost impossible due to lazy Codetel employees)
carib

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
We're very near the airport and PC village. I've just heard that our neighbours have no internet problems.

Maybe they've linked us up to the Bavaro antenna which is 20km away.

Oh well, I'll keep bugging the technican then...

carib

Jul 16, 2002
Antenna ?

I thought you were talking about Codetel...
What wireless service are you trying to use???
carib

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
Provider is Codetel.

Problem mysteriously solved overnight... speed has been around 800 kbps all day :)

Feb 7, 2007
We're very near the airport and PC village. I've just heard that our neighbours have no internet problems.

Maybe they've linked us up to the Bavaro antenna which is 20km away.

Oh well, I'll keep bugging the technican then...

If you have a wireless router that does not mean that your local loop is wireless. It only means that your Ethernet connection (internal) is wireless. Not that external.

The only other wireless high speed Internet in Bavaro/Punta Cana area is offered by Tricom, a WiMax service.

yb1

Oct 6, 2008
rubio higuey - of course you are right! Must've had too much sun when i said they'd linked us up to the Bavaro antenna.. Doh!

it's a bog standard codetel connection and it's working perfectly now.

Reshma

May 20, 2011
Hey,just follow some tips to make your speed up
-->Configure your browser so it won't display graphics, animations, sound, video or other multimedia content (see "How to Turn Off Sounds, Pictures or Video on Web Pages").
-->Surf when Internet traffic is low. Heaviest traffic is usually on weekends and evenings.
-->Use your cache effectively. "Cache" refers to storage space where your recently visited Web sites are saved. You may need to resize your cache allotment, or you may need to purge your cache periodically. Look through your browser's menus for items named Cache, Temporary Internet files and so on.
-->Upgrade your modem.
-->Consult with your Internet service provider to ensure that your modem is configured correctly.
-->Replace your telephone modem with a fast-access connection such as wave, ISDN, DSL, satellite, a cable modem.
and now check your connection speed here ScanMySpeed.com
even then your connection speed didnt get speed up then you better contact your service provider..