Phone Update - OOMA voip Works great!

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I installed a voip phone called OOMA in the DR using Tricom DSL service which is really slow, (about 180 down, 120 up) and the thing works great!! Good call quality. Unlimited calls to* the USA.
I was surprised that it worked, it cost about $250 one time to buy the box and NO monthly payments forever, unless the box breaks after the warranty period. But, I bought it at Costco which I believe will take it back if it ever breaks. The Costco one also comes preloaded with $50 in Long distance for calls outside the USA, which brings down the cost to $200.

www.Ooma.com

The reviews at costco.com are outstanding and I agreee.

Costco - Hot Buy Ooma Premium VoIP Phone System w/ Free U.S. Calling & No Monthly Fee

The two drawbacks are that its not really unlimited as they can choose to limit your outgoing calls to 3000 minutes a month. (this is done to prevent it being used in call centers,) and the other drawback is a fee of $40 to port a number.

All you guys can dump Vonage and buy me a drink with the savings!

Last edited:

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The company started out with a bright future (forecast), but then soon got into financial problems. Now they are trying to get back into the mainstream VOIP market. I am glad to hear their call quality has improved because there was a time, their sound quality was really bad. If the company goes out of business in a year or 2, you still lose money, as compared to using magicjack.
I use magicjack but for incoming calls I use gizmo5+googlevoice free incoming number (atlanta in my case). This free incoming call system works via a programmed voip ata box which is connected to my router. Now my pc could be off and put away under the bed and I still get incoming calls on my free atlanta number (googlevoice+gizmo5). The quality is excellent. I have my magicjack forwarded to this number so if you call my magicjack, my voip phone rings and I get the call anyway even when my laptop and magicjack is off.
AZB (the free voip guru)

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
Reactions: windeguy

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
just have someone in usa put in your email and get the invite. then tell them to make an account for you and let them choose a telephone number. you can change the data later from DR.
AZB

Reactions: windeguy

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
forget about gizmo5, I found them confusing and expensive. They make you pay to use GV.

It's all about this http://www.sipgate.com/, register using a US proxy, download their softphone.

Set sipgate as your home in GV and voila.

Free and awesome.

erastrauss

Dec 19, 2009
telephone system

Ringcentral has provided my small business with the most cost effective and efficient telephone system. I found a great reinforcement from them.