Here is something interesting for those in Santiago

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Did you know you can have a driver pick you up and take you to Santo Domingo at 4 in the morning?

Yup! Caonabo will do this for RD$350. His Phone number is 809 517 7880

Gee, HB, this is an interesting tidbit, how did you come across this, pray tell.

Glad you asked.

I was sitting in the Metro Station waiting room after taking the 5:30 Metro from Santiago. My D-in-Law was picking me up. One of my former students came over to say Hi!! and I asked if he was going to Santiago. He said yes, I am going back after finishing my errands here in the "capi".

I said you came yesterday? He said no, at 4 in the morning...all done and now back home...

So now you know. If you need to get there early and safely, call Caonabo...

File this away, it might be handy!!

HB

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
I've always known of people that provide this service in Santiago. In fact, that's how I got to the US embassy when I was a little boy. The day of my appt. my fam hired the services of a "Caonabo" and took us there bright and early. And back in those days the nice highway didn't exist. It was the one lane hwy.

People like Caonabo provide a service you can't get elsewhere. The first Metro or Caribe Tours buses leave Santiago at 6 a.m. (last time I checked). I once went to take the 6 a.m. Metro to the capital and it ended up leaving at 6:40 a.m. because it wasn't full enough. So you can see where someone like Caonabo comes in handy!

Trig

Aug 20, 2006
Any idea if this service is available for Puerto Plata and Sosua also? Since Spirit flies in at wierd hours, this info would be useful.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Trig,

Perhaps HB who is in Santiago might call Caonabo and ask for you if you ask nicely :)

Send him a PM.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
"Back in the day" ....we all used L?nea Duarte, RD$5.00 for pick up at an appointed time and delivery to your doorstep in Santo Domingo. They used those big old Chevrolets, and Oldsmobiles, with "just" three people in back and two passengers in front.

Then, the highway got so bad, nobody would use it, the Metro was starting, cheaper if somewhat irregular...and that was the end of L?nea Duarte.

Metro now has 5:30 service to Santo Domingo from Santiago.

As for service from the North Shore, I am sorry, but you'll have to ask some of the locals..

HB