"Chinos" in the DR...What's up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
I have been in the DR for a few years now and am always interested in learning more about the country and its non-native population from a sociological perspective. Specifically, I am now curious about the "Chino" (Asian) population in the DR.

Does anyone have any demographic information/studies about Chinos, such as population size, socio-economic class, origins, types of employment?

What about your own thoughts or observations on what it's like to be a Chino in the DR? E' facil? So far, all I have to go off of are a few of my own, which is what made me want to post the thread.

I'm not trying to generalize or be innacurate, but here's what I've observed:
-Many Asians own small, some medium businesses, such as colmados, pica pollos and nail centers.

-They are tight-knit cultural groups within their town or region.

-Despite being lighter skinned than most Dominicans, they face discrimination and open insults. I have heard Dominicans refer to them on numerous occasions as "ugly, stupid, dirty..." to their face and otherwise. Some won't shop/eat and "Chino"-owned businesses.

I haven't had interaction with Asians in the DR other than at their business and don't have any "Chino" friends. Would someone think I was nuts if I put them on the spot and started asking them questions about where they are from, how they like living here, challenges, etc?

Finally, I can't post this without using this at least once: :chinese:

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
That has absolutely NOTHING to do with my post and I hope it gets deleted. I asked a serious question and would appreciate relevant, thoughtful answers. If you don't have anything useful or insightful to contribute, don't post, geez. :rolleyes:

Just had to find this thread sorry it took me a long time
:chinese::chinese::chinese::chinese::chinese:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/clown-bin/69815-learn-chinese-5-minutes.html

http://www.dr1.com/forums/589847-post7.html

:chinese::chinese::chinese::chinese::chinese:

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There is a Chinese man married to a Dominicana living in Jarabacoa. He speaks Spanish fluently and his English is pretty good also. He owns a cell phone store and has a son going to my wife's school. There have been Japanese intermarried to locals for several generations and if there is discrimination my wife is unaware of it. She has been friends with Japanese Dominicans since she was a little girl.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
There are a lot of chinese in Barahona who own a lot of land in the mountains and also a lot in San Pedro. No idea about discrimination, but I love the food. Unfortunately my husband will not eat it as he says they recycle the left overs and they eat their own dead people in the food. When I told him this was ridiculous his answer was : "have you ever seen a dead china man here?". well no I haven't. Therefore he says - proof they are in the sweet and sour chicken!!!!!

Matilda

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
That has absolutely NOTHING to do with my post and I hope it gets deleted. I asked a serious question and would appreciate relevant, thoughtful answers. If you don't have anything useful or insightful to contribute, don't post, geez. :rolleyes:

Ms Feliz, you're always such a consistently fun-loving soul! Your personality shines through online.
Hugs & kisses.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
On my recent trip to the DR I noticed a lot more Chinese owned businesses in San Francisco de Macoris. In the late eighties the major supermarkets and my two favorite restaurants were owned by Chinese/Dominicans who migrated in 1950's. There children studied in the US and I got to know one of the daughters. There family was pushing an arranged marriage from China and she was not interested. Don't know what evetually happened. From what my wife's family tell me is there are new Chinese coming into town and the second and third generation from those who came before are opening many of these businesses.

I was in the Capital the other day and ate lunch at a Chinese owned restaurant on Bolivar in Gazcue and the lady at the register did not speak Spanish.

I also know there were a number of Chinese immigrants who came to the SFM area in the late 1800's and my wife had a great grandmother who was 100% Chinese. You can see it in many of the people’s faces and she has cousins whose last name is Asiatico. I think the last name Then also comes from a Chinese base.

One of the best reporters in the country from Santiago is Chinese/Dominican.

There has been long established Chinatown in Santo Domingo on Mella or Duarte. From what I understand, it is growing.

I am also interested to hear what others have to say about the increase of Chinese immigrants.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Wiki says 15000 Chinese descendants in DR. see Wapedia - Wiki: Dominican Republic

Also, for Japanese in DR & a failed policy see Japanese settlement in the Dominican Republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An interesting story - some 1300 Japanese families immigrated to DR in the the late 1950's with promises of land, etc... finally in 2006 Japan settled a lawsuit & paid them some money because it didn't quite work out as planned.
Prime Minister of Japan Junichiro Koizumi made a formal statement apologising for the "immense suffering due to the government's response at the time".
Imagine ;)

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Wiki says 15000 Chinese descendants in DR. see Wapedia - Wiki: Dominican Republic

Also, for Japanese in DR & a failed policy see Japanese settlement in the Dominican Republic - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An interesting story - some 1300 Japanese families immigrated to DR in the the late 1950's with promises of land, etc... finally in 2006 Japan settled a lawsuit & paid them some money because it didn't quite work out as planned.
Prime Minister of Japan Junichiro Koizumi made a formal statement apologising for the "immense suffering due to the government's response at the time".
Imagine ;)

That's very interesting, thanks for the info! The article also says: "According to Japanese diplomat Teruyuki Ishikawa, the presence of the remaining Japanese immigrants and their descendants is the major reason why the Dominican Republic is the biggest recipient of official development aid from Japan." It surprising but makes sense, JICA does have a big presence here.

Do Japanese immigrants and next-generationers still have a big influence on agriculture in Constanza or the Cibao?

Anyone know the deal with Chinese immigration (in reference to CHINA not Asians in general)?

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
In Cabarete, there are only a couple. But they are part of the comunity. Chinese rest., married to a Dom.. Others live here, good friends and don't seem to be treated any different then other expats who own a business. "you have money and I want some", same where ever you go.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
To answer your question:

Would someone think I was nuts if I put them on the spot and started asking them questions about where they are from, how they like living here, challenges, etc?

I tried this very same thing with the owner and the staff of Wilson Picapollo in Buenos Aires, Santiago - barrio I grew up in. As far as I can recall this was the first major picapollo in the area. It was established in the early 90s. The last time I ate there (long time ago) I greeted the cashier with a ni-ha-ma (don't know the spelling) which is how are you in mandarin. I got a stare and was told "ochenta peso." The owner was standing nearby and I asked him why the cashier was so rude and he said she was having a bad day. I went on to ask questions about where in China they were from, how long they had been there etc. The guy told me to eat my food and get the hell out.

There is another pica pollo on the road to El Dorado in Santiago. I don't know the name of it I just know where it is. This one has become quite popular because of their hot wings. I ate there like 2 years ago and tried the same thing and got the same result. A stare and why the hell are you asking these questions.

So from my experience they are a tight group. I guess it's because of the discrimination given to them by some Dominicans. Both times I ate in one of their establishment I noticed the local tigueres making fun of Chinese names and cracking Chinese jokes.

If you plan on trying to talk to them...have some kind of tactic. Because plain right out didn't work for me :cheeky:.

Last edited:

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Chino's have the corner

from what I hear chino's are the majority owners of

A. Caba?a's
B. Pica Pollo's
C. Lots of small grocery markets all over Santo Domingo.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Chino's have the corner

from what I hear chino's are the majority owners of

A. Caba?a's
B. Pica Pollo's
C. Lots of small grocery markets all over Santo Domingo.
D. Don't know if it still there, but used to be a housing area off Duarte that was mainly Chino including the street signs.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
According to a news article, Ecuador's Chinese community is dwindling. Since January of this year 80% of Chinese have left Ecuador in search of opportunities in healthier economies, since their businesses in Ecuador are failing left and right. Of the most popular destinations for the 80,000 or so Chinese that have fled; Per?, Chile and the Dominican Republic top the list.

Los chinos emprenden el ?xodo desde Ecuador

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
To answer your question:

I tried this very same thing with the owner and the staff of Wilson Picapollo in Buenos Aires, Santiago - barrio I grew up in. As far as I can recall this was the first major picapollo in the area. It was established in the early 90s. The last time I ate there (long time ago) I greeted the cashier with a ni-ha-ma (don't know the spelling) which is how are you in mandarin. I got a stare and was told "ochenta peso." The owner was standing nearby and I asked him why the cashier was so rude and he said she was having a bad day. I went on to ask questions about where in China they were from, how long they had been there etc. The guy told me to eat my food and get the hell out.

There is another pica pollo on the road to El Dorado in Santiago. I don't know the name of it I just know where it is. This one has become quite popular because of their hot wings. I ate there like 2 years ago and tried the same thing and got the same result. A stare and why the hell are you asking these questions.

So from my experience they are a tight group. I guess it's because of the discrimination given to them by some Dominicans. Both times I ate in one of their establishment I noticed the local tigueres making fun of Chinese names and cracking Chinese jokes.

If you plan on trying to talk to them...have some kind of tactic. Because plain right out didn't work for me :cheeky:.

Well, that's discouraging. :disappoin: I'll figure out a tactic sometime and ask a few "Chinos" some questions one of these days.

I am surprised that more people have not noticed discrimation and ethnocentrism toward Asians here. In my quest for knowledge, I questioned a group of Dominicans today about "Chinos" while we were eating lunch. They came to the conclusion that they would rather eat at a Haitian's house any day over a "Chino's" because they think they are so dirty.

Also, what about this: a hit song by Julian "Oro Duro" a few years back, it is called "El Chinito". Here are the lyrics:
Letras de El Chinito Estudio por Julian Oro Duro - Lirica, lyrics de musica | Buena Musica

I believe that the song is racist and insulting. It changes all of the "r's" to "l's". For those who don't understand, the song is a play on words. Instead of saying "la paz", it has a double meaning (lapa, or lapar, which is what the "Chinito" would say, but add the "r" and it's rapa, or rapar, which means, well, you look it up.) For months after this song came out, barely a day passed when I didn't hear Dominican's yelling lyrics from the song or commenting about it directly to Asians. I felt/feel SO bad for them having to put up with that! This song was so pega', how can it not be a reflection of pop culture and a general acceptance for discriminating against "Chinos"?

Status
Not open for further replies.