credit card cloned in santo domingo

pierods

Sep 22, 2006
Hi,

back from a trip to santo domingo I had my visa card cloned.

I looked at my transactions and since I have 2 credit cards, it happens that I only did 1 transaction in DR with that card, so obviously the fraud came from a certain hotel, being the only place where I have used it.

Also I had not used it for months before going to DR, so i't s really the hotel.

Should I report the hotel on the board?

Last edited by a moderator:

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Hi,

back from a trip to santo domingo I had my visa card cloned.

I looked at my transactions and since I have 2 credit cards, it happens that I only did 1 transaction in DR with that card, so obviously the fraud came from a certain hotel, being the only place where I have used it.

Also I had not used it for months before going to DR, so i't s really the hotel.

Should I report the hotel on the board?

If you are certain, than i feel YES you should. Criminals should not be able to live in obscurity, help the next guy.

Feb 7, 2007
If you are certain, you should report on the board that "somebody in the hotel XYZ had done this and that ..." it was not most likely hotel itself, but a specific employee (there are not that many that have acces sto the card records). You can also PM me the name of the hotel.

Feb 7, 2007
Sure, if you do not first get a satisfactory response from the hotel.

Robert, what "satisfactory response" from the hotel would constitute as satisfactory in order to NOT post the hotel's name on the board? Like "yes sir, we took your credit card data and we now are using it everywhere, thank you for making possible Christmas coming early this year" ..?

If he is sure that that the hotel was the only transaction on the card (and if he can substantiate that by recent 2-3 credit card statements - sending them to you for example, blanking out the sensitive personal information) he SHOULD post the name here.

I for myself travel to SD at least once per month and when I stay at a hotel I would like to KNOW which hotel to avoid? Myself, I do NOT ever never leave credit card info at check-in I prefer to make a deposit instead, BUT there are some hotels in SD that simply WILL NOT allow you to check in without leaving the CC data there. If he denounces the hotel in question, he will be doing a public service.

pierods

Sep 22, 2006
The only way to be certain would be that I call them, and they say, yes, we have an employee that was given a card skimmer by organized crime, his name is Fulano de Tal etc".

Or even better: "We actually have set up the hotel as a card-milking scheme, preying on the unsuspecting traveller new to Santo Domingo, please come back with a new credit card..."

At any rate, I'll say, if you are in Santo Domingo near Parque Independencia, and you need a hotel, and you head for the one that looks the best, I advise that you pay in cash...

Reactions: mountainannie

GeeDee

Oct 27, 2007
Why wouldn't you post the name of the Hotel and what happened? Is that not one of the purposes of this website? Posting good experiences as well as negative.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
Sure, if you do not first get a satisfactory response from the hotel.

If your looking for a moderator to say its ok....look above, Robert is the owner of the site.
Again if your sure-you should spare us the potential loss as well.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
This is not my forum so I cannot tell you what is OK or not BUT if it were me I would state the facts as I know them INCLUDING the name of the hotel AND the fact that all you know is that your CC was cloned which could have been done by a hotel employee without the knowledge of the hotel or someone at the credit card processing center or anywhere else in the credit card processing chain - no accusations. Then if the Moderator or Administrator has a problem with your post they will do whatever they do.

Mi dos pesos.

Gregg

pierods

Sep 22, 2006
I have not gotten a satisfactory response from the hotel yet, so not yet.

Just be cautious when you are in Parque Independencia.

pierods

Sep 22, 2006
This is not my forum so I cannot tell you what is OK or not BUT if it were me I would state the facts as I know them INCLUDING the name of the hotel AND the fact that all you know is that your CC was cloned which could have been done by a hotel employee without the knowledge of the hotel or someone at the credit card processing center or anywhere else in the credit card processing chain - no accusations. Then if the Moderator or Administrator has a problem with your post they will do whatever they do.

Mi dos pesos.

Gregg

Sounds good.

So I am not accusing anybody, I am just stating that I had no transactions on my card one month before and after going to Santo Domingo.

I stayed for one night at Hotel Discovery and paid with that credit card.

That was the only time I used that card in Santo Domingo.

The day before yesterday it was cloned and used in the States, first transaction after going to Santo Domingo.

These are the bare facts, I am not accusing anyone, and I don't know who did it.

That's all I know.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Ok try this

I have not gotten a satisfactory response from the hotel yet, so not yet.

Just be cautious when you are in Parque Independencia.

As I am tired of the black outs, I am thinking of getting a hotel for a couple of nights
I have the following choices which one would you not recommend.

Hotel Discovery
Venus Bar and Grill
Independencia
Murcure
Palacio
Aida
Anaconoa
Moderno

sorry missed your last post.

pierods

Sep 22, 2006
As I am tired of the black outs, I am thinking of getting a hotel for a couple of nights
I have the following choices which one would you not recommend.

Hotel Discovery
Venus Bar and Grill
Independencia
Murcure
Palacio
Aida
Anaconoa
Moderno

sorry missed your last post.

The Mercure does not look good at all actually, at least from the hall, they have bad A/C which is worse than no A/C, horrible coffee and droves of teenager tourists, plus the obligatory "extranjeros del Conde" with their lovely friends...

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
Is it the one with the neon lights, right in the plaza?

On another note, keycards given at hotels can contain personal and CC information - it's best to keep and destroy them, rather than giving them back to the hotel, they can very easily make new ones.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Robert, what "satisfactory response" from the hotel would constitute as satisfactory in order to NOT post the hotel's name on the board? Like "yes sir, we took your credit card data and we now are using it everywhere, thank you for making possible Christmas coming early this year" ..?

If he is sure that that the hotel was the only transaction on the card (and if he can substantiate that by recent 2-3 credit card statements - sending them to you for example, blanking out the sensitive personal information) he SHOULD post the name here.

I for myself travel to SD at least once per month and when I stay at a hotel I would like to KNOW which hotel to avoid? Myself, I do NOT ever never leave credit card info at check-in I prefer to make a deposit instead, BUT there are some hotels in SD that simply WILL NOT allow you to check in without leaving the CC data there. If he denounces the hotel in question, he will be doing a public service.

Hotel has two options.

1) Do nothing, so you post it here.
2) Go out of there way to try and resolve the problem.

At the end of the day the OP decides on what direction he/her takes it.

As long as they post ALL facts and do not try and do it anonymously, then they can post here.

Feb 7, 2007
The Mercure does not look good at all actually, at least from the hall, they have bad A/C which is worse than no A/C, horrible coffee and droves of teenager tourists, plus the obligatory "extranjeros del Conde" with their lovely friends...

I have stayed at Mercure 3 times (last time about a month ago) the AC was good (had to actually turn it off at night), the breakfast was fulfilling, the room small and crampy but OK to spend the night, TV with lots of channels (no time for it)and WiFi everywhere.

The Haitian clerk at night wanted my passport and was insistent on my producing it, even though I leave that in a safe place in Higuey and travel with the copy only. My colleague (Dominican) showed him his cedula and the clerk was insistent on him producing the passport as well! Funny, but we resolved the "issue" after all.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Why wouldn't you post the name of the Hotel and what happened? Is that not one of the purposes of this website? Posting good experiences as well as negative.

That's fine, but sometimes posters have another agenda.
I'm not saying that is the case here, but it has been in some cases in the past.

At the end of the day, the hotels and businesses come knocking on my door with their lawyers and BS, so I need to make sure whatever is posted here is factual and not some poster trying to use a DR1 as vehicle for a vendetta.