Phone Calls from Dominican Republic to the U.S. ??

C

Carlton

I'll be traveling to the Dominican Republic in about two weeks. Upon arrival, I'd like to call back home to the United States to let my family know that I arrived safely. What is the least expensive way to call from the Dominican Republic (we'll be in the Samana Peninsula if that makes a difference) to the U.S. ? I look forward to your responses. Thanks, as always, for the great information that I've gotten here.

S

Susan

Re: Phone Calls from Dominican Republic to the U.S

I've never been to Samana but most anywhere on the island you'll find a Calling Center. It's a small store/office that will charge you per minute/call. I recently used one in Cabarete for a 10 minute call and was charged about $1.50

S

Sarah

A couple of names of "calling centers" to look for are Codetel and Tricom. There are probably others as well. You can also send and receive faxes from these locations.

D

Depp4

There's always independent Call Centers that charge less than Codetel or Tricom...
If your in Samana go to Herrmans Call Center in Las Terrenas, or if you are in Las Galeras, ask for Mirkos Call Center.
They will charge you 10 Pesos per minute, which is US$ 0.60.
Both of them have also email, fax, plus friendly service, not like the big ones....

C

Carlton

Thanks a lot for the responses...Keep em coming

Thanks a lot for the info. I'll be in Las Galeras and Las Terrenas so I'll definitely look for Herman's and Mirko's. Thanks again.

C

charlyloco

Re: Thanks a lot for the responses...Keep em comin

hola Carlton,
maybe I can not count any more,but if Susan tell you, that she pays 1,50$US for 10min. and Depp told you in the privates you have to pay about 0,60$US/min=6$ for 10/min, makes no sence for me your answer?
cu7charly

E

Eddy

I use Net2Phone and it costs around 0.10 min. so 0.15/min could make sense.

D

Dave

I called direct from my hotel and paid $1US per minute. No connection fee, and the rate stayed the same regardless of the length of the call.

G

Greg

If you are in the Boca Chica area, we offer discount calls through software on our computers at the Cyber Colmado, an internet kiosk (and more) located in the Hotel Costalunga Hotel on Avenida Del Sur. Basically, you will pay half of what you pay at the local phone centres, Codetel and Tricom. For example, instead of 10 pesos a minute for a call to the U.S. you would pay 5 pesos. Within the next six months, other Cyber Colmados, with similar services, will be opening the Santo Domingo and in the north coast area.