Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What are you hearing about health care?

I was recently involved in an auto accident, and spent a few nights in Bournigal Hospital in Puerto Plata. I have health insurance (Blue Cross/Blue Shield) through my ex employer. But I hadn't picked up insurance to cover me specifically down here. So I had to pay out $1,300 and now over the next few months, hopefully I can get reimbursed through my NY insurance company. I had planned on getting some health insurance down here, but obviously procrasinated.

Now due to the experience of the last month, I am planning on pulling the trigger in case something else happens. But now I am hearing that most of the health insurance companies in D.R. are going bankrupt. This includes Humanis which is number one down here, and I also believe the same fate is predicted for the number two company down here. I hear Humanis has at best three months, before they go totally under.

Does anybody out there know of a good alternative for health insurance (family plan); or have more information on the fate of health insurance in the D.R.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess to be more specific, I am wondering about a viable option for health insurance down here (as a secondary option), I know I am covered through my NY insurance for emergencies, but what about local things, or medication etc., things I may not want to go through my NY insurance for. Regular doctor visits for example.

Like I said I am hearing some horrible things about the state of health insurance down here (bankrupcty corruption etc.), and was wondering if someone has other viable and good options.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Yayow View Post
    I was recently involved in an auto accident, and spent a few nights in Bournigal Hospital in Puerto Plata. I have health insurance (Blue Cross/Blue Shield) through my ex employer. But I hadn't picked up insurance to cover me specifically down here. So I had to pay out $1,300 and now over the next few months, hopefully I can get reimbursed through my NY insurance company. I had planned on getting some health insurance down here, but obviously procrasinated.

Now due to the experience of the last month, I am planning on pulling the trigger in case something else happens. But now I am hearing that most of the health insurance companies in D.R. are going bankrupt. This includes Humanis which is number one down here, and I also believe the same fate is predicted for the number two company down here. I hear Humanis has at best three months, before they go totally under.

Does anybody out there know of a good alternative for health insurance (family plan); or have more information on the fate of health insurance in the D.R.
    Go online to ck out your bc/bs there are clinics in the dr where you should have coverage though i'm not sure about the PP area. You may have to call them.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

this really wont help the OP out. But when i got really sick in the D.R. (with no insurance either there or in the U.S.) the doctor made two house calls, gave me two injections and about 6 scripts. I think the whole bill came to 60 bucks!!! My Dominican friend said i was being ripped off...but i was very happy. WITH insurance in the US i would have spent a lot more.

Sorry..doent help you...but i just thought i would share.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    Yayow, your posts are most disturbing regarding the pending fall of DR health care insurers. Let us hope someone in the know can respond.

Where did you hear about the imminent failure of ARS Humano?
    Didn't mean to cause alarm, but heard it from two different sources, with supposed personal knowledge (and aware of my most recent situation), both cautioned me to hold off, on acquiring insurance at this time. Trust me I was not thrilled to hear this also, because I do have a family down here, and would like them especially my daughter to be as protected as possible. I would not like to put either of these persons (as far as who revealed this info.) in jeopardy as far as their positions, I just felt if I heard it from two different sources, I needed to find out more about it, and am asking anyone with knowledge to please respond. I don't know if this is fact, that is what I am trying to find out, but to say the least I am concerned. Also if this is fact.... I don't know if anyone with actual knowledge would be willing to go on record in an open forum such as this to reveal that info. I guess I am just hoping for some real and substantial information.

The reason I am looking for insurance down here more specifically is that, as I said I was in a bad accident and was unconscious for awhile, was taken to the first hospital or clinic (where they couldn't wake me) and eventually sent to Bornigal where I woke up. When it was time to leave although my insurance company told them I would be covered, my company in the States needed to review the information being that it was a foreign hospital, so that left me with having to pay the bill myself, and hopefully getting re-imbursed once my company in the states is satisfied with my care (I have been told there is no guarantee, and even if it is approved I am looking at about three months to recoup that amount), needless to say I had to put up $1,300 US. I am thankful that I had it, but of course now I wonder if I didn't have that amount available what would be my options. So I want insurance that would cover that amount if necessary {so I wouldn't have to pay (go into pocket) for that amount of cash to get treated}, and eventually they and my insurance in the States would determine exactly which part of that bill, each was responsible for. Of course if a small co-pay or something like that was necessary I wouldn't mind that.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Check out Worldwide Insurance in SD - that's who insures our relatives and they say it's pretty good. I don't know anything about them personally.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by windeguy View Post
    Yayow, your posts are most disturbing regarding the pending fall of DR health care insurers. Let us hope someone in the know can respond.

Where did you hear about the imminent failure of ARS Humano?
    No idea where he heard it, but I would wonder why Dominican College of Surgeons is signing agreements with 10 ARS if this is true. It wouldn't make sense really, would it?

Cirujanos firman acuerdos servicios con diez ARS

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lambada View Post
    No idea where he heard it, but I would wonder why Dominican College of Surgeons is signing agreements with 10 ARS if this is true. It wouldn't make sense really, would it?

Cirujanos firman acuerdos servicios con diez ARS
    I posted the same thing yesterday ... just in the wrong thread
    http://www.dr1.com/forums/men-mars-w...ite-women.html

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Again hope I am wrong

Again, I hope I am wrong, the reason it was brought up is because I heard it, and wanted more info.

Thanks for all that have provided information, it is very helpful in regards to future decisions, also a special thanks for those that have taken the time to respond via pms.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Go here...Health Insurance in the Dominican Republic. Call these Dominican health plans and ask many, many questions. Maybe they can dispel those rumors. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast