cell phone

P

Phil

If I buy an amigo type cell phone in Canada will I have any problem connecting it to the cell system in Santo Domingo...buying talk time cards. Any information would be greatly appreciated Thanks

A

aristoba

you can use bell mobility phones and cantell/
I dont remember what plan amigo is.
Fido and clearnet phones will not work here.

in any case you need to get the phone activated here
on tricom or codetel systems.
and than buy your cards.
all no problems
latest= 780 pesos activation fee with codetel.
calls are extremely expensive 7 peso the minute.
but incoming calls are free.

E

Eddy

If you need it for a short period of time ie. vacation, you could consider renting one.

A

anon

Re: cell phone>aristoba

Just want to confirm what you wrote, if I bring down a cantel pay as you phone, I can hook it up in Puerto Plata. does it have to be a certain type of phone or will any do? I have a nokia/cantel

A

aristoba

it has to be dual mode and you have to activate it
with one of the two main providers...tricom or codetel.
at a cost of about 800 pesos. As eddy says
if for a short time you are better of renting.
and for some phones you have to reactivate
when you get back to Canada.
It is only worth it if you live here and you bring a cheap
canadian phone over.
You can get in canada the qualcom 2700 or the nokia
6185 for about 100 to 130 cad dollars.
1000- 1300 pesos. Those phones cost here 4000 - 5000 pesos

E

Eddy

You can also pick up a used phone for about RD$1,000.00 to RD$1,500.00 ($100.00-150.00) Canadian.

J

jim

Re: cell phone CDMA

If you want to use dual mode digital service, it has to be CDMA--not TDMA or GSM--and not coded to a particular company from outside the Dominican Republic. For example, it can't say Sprint, AT&T, or Cellular One on the phone. That would indicate that they own the coding and Codetel or Tricom don't have access to their programming.

An analog only phone will work when activated locally in the Dominican Republic. I have also heard that some phones can be activated on the analog side only of dual service, but have no personal experience. Roaming is also possible with some off-island agreements.

J

JS

I'm moving to Santiago in 4 weeks & I plan to bring my mobile phone that I got from Bell mobility in Canada. How fast can you connect the new service with Codetel? and what price-packages are there available?
Your info is greatly appreciated.

J

Jim Hinsch

Click on the link below or see <A HREF="http://www.BocaChicaBeach.net/staying_in_touch.html">www.BocaChicaBeach.net/staying_in_touch.html</A> for the whole scoop on cell phones and calling cards.

Jim Hinsch
JimHinsch@CSI.COM

P

prtyr

If activating a phone with cellular facil, the Codetel plan. Try going to a cell phone retailer. I had a phone activated in SD a year ago. Unfortunately I lost the phone and needed to activate a new one. We went to a cell phone store in plaza naco on Tiradentes which is right across from the Codetel office that activated my first phone. It cost much less than the 780 pesos charged by Codetel. Even though I got the same exact service.