How to secure your house?

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place. What experience do fellow loggers in have of making one's house secure whilst away on a trip to Europe. We live in a small barrio on the outskirts of Las Terrenas.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Have someone stay over?

When I leave my house overnight, I have a trusted person, usually a young male, spend the night there. You could get a Dominican, another expat or someone you know who will be vacationing in the area for a while. I think if someone is actually in the house it is less likely to be broken into (yes, everything's possible...). I don't know what your situation is, or if you have any trusted people like that, but I have never had a problem because they are 'de confianza'. The most it has ever cost me is some peanut butter and a couple packs of crackers. I don't pay them, just bring them a gift back from my trip like a cap or a new polo shirt. Of course, I also put away anything of value and have a small padlock on the outside of my bedroom door, which I lock. The person stays in the other bedroom.

It gives me peace of mind when I'm away knowing somebody is there. This might be good for you since you are going to be gone out of country. If too many people catch on to that, you are more likely to have a problem. So don't go around announcing to everyone that you will be gone, or the exact dates. Also try not to have everyone see you leave in broad daylight with a ton of luggage, they will assume you will be gone for a long time and therefore your house empty.

Have a good trip! If you have a really nice, comfortable house, let me know, I could make myself available as a professional house-sitter as I have some vacation days I need to use up in the DR! :bunny: That goes for anybody with a nice house in a beach town that needs a house sitter...;)

Reactions: MikeFisher

wimbleton

Apr 15, 2009
security

You pay or make a deal with a person with a good reputation Just dont throw anyone in .it serves no purpose getting some body whowill party in it .or worse .If you do not know anyone that fits this category find some business iwhere you live that has agood reputation and ask them if they know someone who would help you .Today you need to go the whole nine yards maybe askachurch group?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
i would never leave the house alone, not even for a long weekend.
when we spend some nights at one of the hotels which we do wuiet often for our nirthdays/anniversaries/mothers day/easter weekend etc we always have our trusted friend sleeping in the house. we know her since long, she lives usually a few hundred meters from us, she's the babysitter when needed, she's my private cook when the Mrs is travelling alone.
the best security for a house is people living in the house.
of course there is a ton of trust involved, not something what comes up within the first weeks in a new country, but with the years.
enjoy your europe travel
Mike

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
i would never leave the house alone, not even for a long weekend.
when we spend some nights at one of the hotels which we do wuiet often for our nirthdays/anniversaries/mothers day/easter weekend etc we always have our trusted friend sleeping in the house. we know her since long, she lives usually a few hundred meters from us, she's the babysitter when needed, she's my private cook when the Mrs is travelling alone.
the best security for a house is people living in the house.
of course there is a ton of trust involved, not something what comes up within the first weeks in a new country, but with the years.
enjoy your europe travel
Mike

Nothing beat a trusted friend to secure a house, not even dogs or fire weapons, alarms, window/door guards. Once thieves know the house isn't empty they wont even try usually.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
We always have a house sitter, either a very good friend or my daughter and her fiance. That way we also still have our 3 big dogs in the house. Works very well all round, only thing I have to do is make sure there's plenty of beer in the fridge!

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
We always have a house sitter, either a very good friend or my daughter and her fiance. That way we also still have our 3 big dogs in the house. Works very well all round, only thing I have to do is make sure there's plenty of beer in the fridge!

Wouldn't want the big dogs to get thirsty!

Going on vacation and having a home/apartment in the D.R.
... is one of the draw backs of living here.

You never know who to trust to guard it.
Some here have full time security and then even that may not work.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
always borrow things off your neighbours even if you dont need to, that way everyone gets to know that you havent got anything

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
always borrow things off your neighbours even if you dont need to, that way everyone gets to know that you havent got anything

What if someone breaks in and steals all the stuff you've borrowed, then you're in trouble with the neighbours and some neighbours are crazier than others eh JR? ;)

May 8, 2009
Apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place. What experience do fellow loggers in have of making one's house secure whilst away on a trip to Europe. We live in a small barrio on the outskirts of Las Terrenas.

I have a good, trustworthy friend (Dominican) that I have known for many years who lives in the Las Terrenas area. If you are currently looking for someone to stay there, feel free to pm me-

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Black Dog,
let me know if you ever need a spare housesitter.
the beers in the fridge need to be the green ones in Light, lol.
Coastlineconstruction,
nobody would leave his/her house to a 'trusted friend' just by contact on a forum.
we've been talking about bpersonal trusted friends, the ones we know on our own.
cheers
Mike

Reactions: Tamborista

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
the beers in the fridge need to be the green ones in Light.

Mike:

While you are house sitting, I am more than willing to Boat Sit for you, all I ask for is a full tank of gasoil & a case of The Green Amigos. I promise to leave you the cash from the charters.

tambo' the angler

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Black Dog,

How are you with big dogs Mike? The first time my friend stayed and we were away, he got up in the night and crept to the bathroom so as to not wake the dogs. Once he was in the bathroom, the big male dog trotted across and sat outside the door growling, and he has an awesome growl! My friend spent most of his first night sitting on the toilet, which was quite convenient really because he was shi####g himself! LOL

May 8, 2009
Black Dog,
Coastlineconstruction,
nobody would leave his/her house to a 'trusted friend' just by contact on a forum.
we've been talking about bpersonal trusted friends, the ones we know on our own.
cheers
Mike

No doubt- if you have a friend in the country that you know and trust, you are all set. If you don't have a personal trusted friend, you have to start somewhere, or leave the house unattended.

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
I'M a single guy but have always had a 3 bedroom place, right now i have a 25 year old girl staying at my place for free.Just a friend and nothing more;) she is clean and responsible and i never have to worry about my place when i am back in New york. I have never had nothing missing and the only rule i really have is no male visitors.she knows that she has it good and is living in a nicer place then she could ever afford on her own. ah!!! the best part of the deal, she has a lot of friends:bunny: