Rental Villa

MeluDC

Aug 4, 2009
Hello,

I found a rental called Villa San Lucas on Homeaway.com and have been in touch with the owner regarding renting it for a week. Has anyone heard of this villa? It is owned by a French couple, Henri and Dominique. They have been very kind and helpful, we are just being cautious.

Is it normal for the owner to request that 50% of the total cost be deposited in a bank account to secure the rental? We understand that some kind of deposit is required, but would prefer using a credit card or paypal. This seems not to be an option. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

Massielg

Apr 30, 2008
www.casasdevacacionesrd.blogspot.com
Hello,

I found a rental called Villa San Lucas on Homeaway.com and have been in touch with the owner regarding renting it for a week. Has anyone heard of this villa? It is owned by a French couple, Henri and Dominique. They have been very kind and helpful, we are just being cautious.

Is it normal for the owner to request that 50% of the total cost be deposited in a bank account to secure the rental? We understand that some kind of deposit is required, but would prefer using a credit card or paypal. This seems not to be an option. Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

It is completly normal..sometimes owners ask for the whole amount of the rental..if not, who can assure them renters are really going to show up.

People who advertise on this kind of website, where you can write reviews normally are serious owners searching for renters...I do not think you will get disappointed.

Good luck.

MeluDC

Aug 4, 2009
Security Deposit

Thanks for the response, Massielg. That is reassuring to hear. If I may trouble you further to respond, is it also normal to request a cash security deposit as well? We will be paying the full amount in advance, but the owner also requires a cash deposit of $500 cash when we get there.

It just seems odd to me to hand someone $500 with absolutely no guarantee of it being returned. I understand that it is difficult to trust that people will treat the property respectfully, but it is also difficult for me to trust that this money will be returned to us. I am feeling uneasy with this, yet have had other homeowners also request to hold a cash deposit upon arrival. Is this common procedure?

Thanks again.

looking4info

Aug 15, 2009
well i have gave deposit to stay here even for as low as a week and wanted 100usd deposite for monthly what can you do if thats were you wanna stay? negociate it to as little as you can and get a recite and hope he dosnt figure you wont fight him about it. GL

daniel san

Mar 16, 2009
I used to rent my place on VRBO and always insisted on security deposit and full payment 6 weeks in advance. It is normal but just to be safe ask them for references of others that have stayed there. They should provide you with at least 3. Contact the references and ask them about the Villa.

Hope this helps...

MeluDC

Aug 4, 2009
Thank you!

Good advice, daniel san. I'll do that. It's also good to know that that seems like a pretty normal request then.

Thank you!