SALSA pa' ti

?

? bient?t

...rumba buena y guaguanc?

lo baila Teresa y tambi?n Joseito

Folks, I'm going to skip the light fandango and all that jazz, and give to Niche what's Niche's. I'm weird. I know it. "Pariguayo e' lo que tu eres." Yeah, that too.

Van the Man's "Moondance" may be the coolest thing I EVER heard, but when it comes to categories, Salsa kicks rear. Stay with me, porfa. "T?guere, d?jate de vaina: tu sabes muy bien que seguir?n leyendo." Allow me to pretend... in Mme Bovary-esque fashion.

I've always wondered if Lefty sold out his buddy before he split for Ohi-Oh: "He (Lefty) did what he had to do." Van Zandt asked us to pray for both. I get it, but how tolerant and un-Western of Van Zandt. Love it. "Y ke lo ke con este maldito pariguayo del mismito diablo?!"

"She's just 16 years old" but she'll "be a woman soon." The promise. "PERVERSO! How would you like if some pervert... daughter... blah... ?" At ease, folks. Mardones and Diamond know what I mean.

The promise: You know it when you first listen to the guitar intro in Lightfoot's "Carefree Highway" and a few seconds into Meat Loaf's "Bat Out of Hell" as if saying, "Hey, check this out. I promise..." "Termina ya, pariguayazo."

(Folks, I was saying 'folks' pre-Colbert.)

Folks, the promise, the intro: The trumpets and the trombones AND THE LYRICS that follow: the promise of Niche's "Cali Pachanguero" and what I, the most interesting pariguayo in the world, consider to be the very best Salsa tune of all times. "?Que qu??!" And the also-rans just receive a comentario or two.

1. Cali Pachanguero:

Permita que me arrepienta oh
Mi bella cenicienta
De rodillas mi presencia
Si mi ausencia fue tu afrenta

'nuff said

2. Rebeli?n, Joe Arroyo's version. Gotta be dead not to agree of a top-five finish.

3. El dia de mi suerte with a bit of plena and mucha pena, then and now. (For plena-influenced tunes, listen to La Selecta's "J?baro soy.")

4. Juliana: Valoy's voice and "the Ables and the Bakers and the C's, the ABC's we all must face and try to keep a little grace." And the roll of the Rs: simply genius

5. (I'm feeling generous. Your pick, but may I suggest La Selecta's La cuna blanca?) "Pero eso no es bailable, maldito pariguayo." Yeah, but tourist watcher knows what I'm talking about. The impact, folks. The impact. The pain.

"But what about Santarosa and... ?" No. And Celia's shoulder-shaking "Quimbara" may be very bailable, but that's about it.

Bob Wills may still be the king in Texas, but, overall, Cali P rules.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Sorry I haven't replied to this thread sooner.

How about the Afrikando version of Moliendo Cafe??

Or how about this classic:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yk-k6FFaG6k&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yk-k6FFaG6k&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Oscar de Leon's Lloraras is really good too.

?

? bient?t

Sorry I haven't replied to this thread sooner.

How about the Afrikando version of Moliendo Cafe??

Hell YESSSSSSS! Afrinkando's "MC" is a classic and I'm still a fan. And yes, "Llorar?s" is an old-time fave as well.

(You can tell I'm stuck on old-school Salsa.)

How 'bout Lavoe's and Col?n's "Guajira Ven"? It's not a true Salsa tune, but it's on the best Salsa album of all times: Lo Mato.

Now, check out how those young cats segued into "Bang Bang Lulu" from "Che che col?":

YouTube - Hector Lavoe Che Che Cole part 2