average monthly income

christy

Aug 30, 2009
so i have seen so many different numbers for this question. my sons father got deported from canada to the dr about a year and a half ago, he had a job basically since he got there, but recently lost his job due to no more work being available and is having a hard time finding a new one. so i am helping him out, but he doesn't really want to take my help. i have been sending him 20$ canadian per day, 5 days per week, witch is about 600 pesos per day and about 13000 pesos per month. he says im giving him to much but i know if he's saying that cuz he feels bad cuz im here with our son. so i just want to know how much the average person in puerto plata makes, and if i really am helping. will 13000 pesos per month help with at least some of his bills? any info would be greatly appreciated.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Christy, I have not been living here long, but I think 13000 pesos would be of great help towards him paying bills. Many Dominicans don't make even close to 13000 pesos/month, so 13000 pesos is being very generous to him. I assume he is living with family? and therefore they will all pool their money together and so even if he is unable to find another job for a few weeks, he won't be out in the street with no money, food, shelter, etc. (this, of course, is if my assumption that he is living with family, is correct). Best of luck to him finding a new job.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
You're way too generous. I don't know where he was working before but unless he had some kind of degree and paid as a professional he will never have to work again with your generous salary.

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
If he says that is too much, ask him how much you should send and put the rest in a savings account for that day he may need it for an emergency..........Also , that way, he will still keep the incentive to support himself ...........

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
If he says that is too much, ask him how much you should send and put the rest in a savings account for that day he may need it for an emergency..........Also , that way, he will still keep the incentive to support himself ...........

Wise words and good advice, Augustus. Our best paid worker earns half of that although we also provide their accommodation but, in our experience of the Dominican way, they will tend to spend up to the limit and not reserve money for emergencies which may occur later.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
You mean they will spend the whole $200 and not save any for emergencies??? So irresponsible!!!

Its hard to save any money when you only earn US$200 a month.

Augustus advice is the best in this thread, I suggest you (The OP) follow his advice.

Last edited:

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
I was being sarcastic. I cannot even conceive of how anyone could save a dime on $200 a month. Well, perhaps, with room and board, but it would require some very strict discipline, and tolerance for rice.

El_Uruguayo

Bronze
Dec 7, 2006
And I agree, augusts suggestion is a good one. If your son's father is saying you are sending too much, send less, and put away what you can in case of an emergency. Its nice of you to send some money, and considerate of him to say its too much.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
With all the different currencies here, perhaps I have lost my math skills? which were never great--- but did we switch to US dollars? which is usually what the dollar sign refers to .. so the 13,000 pesos would be 361 dollars at 36 to one. $200 would be . In the Capital, the starting wages at the call centers are about 15,000DOP for a full time, and that is 40 plus hours a week, plus time in transport...

But if he says it is too much, perhaps best believe him and put it aside to accumulate in an account to give him all at once so that he can buy a moto or set up a small business or something.. because you know that if you give it go him. he has to share it with everyone.. that it is the way it is here.

He may be trying to tell you something that he cannot really tell you outright.

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
With all the different currencies here, perhaps I have lost my math skills? which were never great--- but did we switch to US dollars? which is usually what the dollar sign refers to

Annie, in the first post, the OP refers to deportation from Canada and giving him $20 Canadian a month. The exchange on Canadian money is lower than on US dollars.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
While it is true that he has to work for himself, why he has to be subject of the poverty level that a $200 a month income provides?? His partner clearly wants to help him out so he can have a life a bit above average than the low level locals in the DR. Not because "other Dominicans live on that income and hasn't died" means that it's OK for a person that you care (in this case the OP) to be in that situation. As I said Augustus advice is the best one. The ones that says that you are being too generous are talking with the "Sankie" subject in their minds.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
La Profe_1 said she was giving him $20 Canadian a month.........she is giving him $20 Canadian a day.........big difference

I was refering to the OP not La Profe_1. Sorry if there was confusion.Anyways if he is staying with family if she sent him $200 CAD per month it would be sufficient.You have to break some serious laws to be deported from Canada.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I was refering to the OP not La Profe_1. Sorry if there was confusion.Anyways if he is staying with family if she sent him $200 CAD per month it would be sufficient.You have to break some serious laws to be deported from Canada.

There you go judging, there is a lot of hollier than thou characters in this board...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
There you go judging, there is a lot of holier than thou characters in this board...

HOLIER THAN THOU, How so? I know how Canadian law works, and how hard it is to get deported. We have many immigrants from other Countries that have committed crimes in Canada and still don't get deported. Perhaps he was there illegally and got deported. I didn't ask and I don't care. You're being a little judgemental yourself.

christy

Aug 30, 2009
thank u every one for the advice. i just wanted to make sure he is getting enough, he is a proud man, and the fact that his wife is raising his child alone and sending him money, kinda hurts his self pride. he doesnt want me to send him anything, his sister is the one that told me he had lost his job. he feels bad taking the money and told me he didnt want it, i told him i will send it anyway so if he doesnt collect it, it will just sit there. he needs to eat and aparently because he was in canada for so long he doesnt have proper id and that is making it very difficult for him to find work. i just want to make sure that will be enough to cover him till he finds something, he definately wont ever tell me its not enough. and i can afford to help so i dont mind doing it. so u guys think he will be ok with that ammount? if he needs more i can send more, i just wanted to hear from people that know. thanks again guys for the advice. oh ya the reason he got deported is quit sad actually it kinda hurts to think about it, but he is a wonderful man, and would much rather be sending me money. i want to make sure he has enough to get by and still be relatively comfortable, im not rich but i dont want to see him poor if i can help at all. thanks again guys.

Last edited: