Safety

Aug 13, 2009
I just read through nearly half of the threads in this section. I was actually very excited about the 5 day trip to a beautiful Villa in the town of Cabrera on a cliff overlooking the ocean that I recenty booked. I have to say, after reading this section, I'm asking myself why anyone would even visit such a place. I'm hoping someone can change my mind. We are tourists, but not stupid either. I have rented a car at the Las Americas airport and plan to make the trip on the "new" highway to Cabrera around noon time. We would like to stop in Nagua at one of the larger supermarkets to pick up some groceries, before we get on the coastal route to Cabrera. The only driving we plan to do is from the villa to the beaches, and dinner in the early evening. Can anyone help me to feel better about this? I really feel like I picked the wrong island!

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
When you live here the inevitable frustrations of daily life result in you missing the "big picture".......

The Dominican Republic is a STUNNINGLY beautiful island & Dominicans are some of the NICEST people I know.

Enjoy your holiday, just be careful on the roads - remember you have had driving tuition, most Dominicans haven't - & take sensible precautions with money/valuables etc.

Oh, & let please let us all know how the holiday went when you get home :)

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
I (a Brit) have lived here in the DR with my family for 5 years and have never had a problem of any kind. As ffritz says, just take sensible precautions, the same type of precautions that you would take when visiting ANY foriegn country and you'll have a fantastic holiday in one of the most picturesque locations you have ever seen!
Don't worry be happy!!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I will defer to other posters on this because I may be prejudiced ... having a house on a cliff in Cabrera (not your rental, or I would have the booking)

Cabrera is a very quiet place with a very small population and very little tourist traffic.

In my opinion, the horror stories you hear occur in the bigger cities or the high traffic tourist areas - just like everywhere else in the world. Think Miami, Jamaica, even NYC has an undeserved reputation (in my opinion) for danger. Dangerous , yes - in certain places , at certain times and under certain circumstances.

Do the Cabrera search here and you will find suggestions for local restaurants, etc.

There are many beaches nearby. Make sure you go to Playa Grande and have lunch on the beach - it is delicious!

Yes you can stop in Nagua for groceries, but Cabrera will give you what you need too. Bigger selection in Nagua.

Enjoy yourself. Drive carefully. I

looking4info

Aug 15, 2009
one of the draw backs to reading up on a place too much before you go.

before i came down here i was nervios more than usuall about being here becouse of all the bad things talked about. then i read up on like cancun and some of the stuff they talk about going on over there might have stopped me from going there. that was a place i didnt feel threatened at all there ran the streets at night had a pretty phat wad in my pocket talked to about anyone except the pesty drug dealers all over.and have never had a problem there.

I have only been in SD for about a week now and feel safe here all though i did take some extra precations like laptop straped around neck wallet in front didnt bring anything too valuble mostly just becouse i new i would be getting around by buses not cabs to save money. have wondered he streets here 3am and feel fine no one bothering me and i dont see too many white guys running around so know i stick out. so dont focus tooooo much on the bad that can happen. on one of the us gov tourist adv pages read how most of the places are no more dangerous than being in any major us city.

now ima get robbed and add to the horror stories lol.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I think you did well in trying to dig up some information on a particular place you plan to visit before you go.
I also think, that the best way apply this gathered information would be to learn from other people's mistakes (not making the same errors) and learn to recognize the typical hot spots and also behaviors which seem to have driven people into problems. I think that a person who has these pre-information and been able to convert it into an intelligent defensive demeanor should be as safe as possible when visiting the country and thus able to fully enjoy their stay here.

... J-D.

Tom F.

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
If the place is the same on the cliffs near Cabrera, it is absolutely beautiful and one of my favorite places on the island. What is the name of the hotel? I was recently visiting the DR and spent 3 days in Samana, 4 days in Jaya de San Francisco de Macoris and 3 days in the Capital. Met a young couple from NY in Samana who rented a car and were driving all over the place. Just listen to the advice of the Dominicans at the hotel. I don't know about that new highway, never been on it, but Nagua is fine for a lttle grocery shopping. I'm sure Cabrera or Rio San Juan will have the same to offer at the same price. You will be fine.

Tom F.

peep2

Bronze
Oct 24, 2004
The nasty things you have been reading about on these boards is here simply because that stuff is unusual and (unless otherwise noted) doesn't occur frequently. Having read up on it will make you more vigilant and, as a consequence, less likely to encounter any problems. Be VERY careful with your driving. For instance, where I live, the Dominicans like to steal the man hole covers from the middle of the street leaving a very deep and dangerous hole. Someone will usually stick a tree branch or something in it to draw your attention. So as I say, exercise extreme caution while driving and normal tourist caution at other times. I predict you will have an enjoyable visit and will likely return.

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
unfortunately when someone has a good experience they rarely post anything about it, so you tend to get a very unbalanced view of what a place is really like

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
unfortunately when someone has a good experience they rarely post anything about it, so you tend to get a very unbalanced view of what a place is really like

So true, and why are newspapers always full of bad news? Because that is what makes them popular to read and sells newspapers.... sad, but true.

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
Yesterday whilst I was driving to my offiCe at about 9.45 am I was slowing down at a junction. There was a group of 5 or 6 Dominican guys half on and half off the road partially blocking my way, as I slowed right down so as not to hit anyone, the biggest guy reached out and pulled them all out of the way, they all smiled appologetically and I waved and carried on.
NOW HOW BORING A POST IS THAT!! lol

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Yesterday whilst I was driving to my offiCe at about 9.45 am I was slowing down at a junction. There was a group of 5 or 6 Dominican guys half on and half off the road partially blocking my way, as I slowed right down so as not to hit anyone, the biggest guy reached out and pulled them all out of the way, they all smiled appologetically and I waved and carried on.
NOW HOW BORING A POST IS THAT!! lol

In my opinion, not boring at all. More than refreshing to hear something positive and it happens often to me but no one usually bothers to post "pleasant" experiences as they are just not newsworthy!

Reactions: Black Dog

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
In my opinion, not boring at all. More than refreshing to hear something positive and it happens often to me but no one usually bothers to post "pleasant" experiences as they are just not newsworthy!

Exactly WB. These things happen all the time, locals being very friendly, kind and curtious but we don't post it because, as you say, not newsworthy. When I ask people why they want to come and live here in the DR they ALL say one of the main reasons is the friendly people and, in my experience, the vast vast majority are exactly that.

This may seem to have gone a little off thread but hopefully it is showing the OP that he has booked to come to a very friendly place for his vacation!!!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
The OP is asking about Cabrera.

When we first moved there (we only stay in the winter and 1 or 2 other months a year), my wife and I were having lunch at the main corner - actually the secondary corner on the main road (#5) and she wanted some vegetables.

If you know the corner, there is a little green shack on the south side of the road - a vegetable man. Remember, this was lunch. She went over and knocked on the closed door. The veggie man appeared - soaking wet from his from shower, pulling his pants on - no shirt.
Obligingly, he filled her order, thanked her for the business and went back to his daily bath.

They are good friends to this day - he tells her "this is por manana, no hoy " to make sure we get the freshest produce he has to offer.

Another dull post............ don't you wish there were more of them?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Sounds to me as if one of us should start a new thread to report the 'Most boring and pleasant experiences in the DR' - what do you all think???

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Category

Sounds to me as if one of us should start a new thread to report the 'Most boring and pleasant experiences in the DR' - what do you all think???

Is it just a new thread or do we need a whole new "feel good" category?

An adjunct to the LIVING category "LIVING WELL AND LOVING IT !!! "

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
We would like to stop in Nagua at one of the larger supermarkets to pick up some groceries, before we get on the coastal route to Cabrera.
There is a supermarket ponti by the claro office also a market in the same street another one is Tangi
if you want to stop for a meal, the American bar by the park is good
there are a few hotel,s in Nagua also,
if you are stopping there

when driving you need eye,s in the back of your head the bike,s will overtake on the left or right beware

Aug 13, 2009
Thank you

Thank you so much for all of your input. I feel so much better, and am really looking forward to nice, quiet, romantic 5 days in Cabrera. If anyone has any other tips, or info regarding restaraunts, shopping, beaches...
please let me know. Thanks again, everyone!

Black Dog

Bronze
May 29, 2009
As William said earlier, be sure to visit Playa Grande for lunch and you'll talk about it for a long time to come!!!
Enjoy your trip and be sure to let us all know how it went!!