Thought I had heard it all!!!

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
This afternoon the cops were looking for this one Haitian here in Juan Dolio who was running away from them because apparently he didn't want do some construction work on the police station. The cops even shot at him several times right in the middle of the street with a lot of women and kids around, thank God nobody got hurt.
Anyway they caught the guy and took him to the police station. About 30 minutes later a police truck came and loaded up approx 30 Haitians so they can finish the construction or pay the bribes to the cops as I've been told!!!!
Thought I had heard it all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Sonia Pie loves this sort of stuff, so do the human rights folks...Stupid cops...

HB

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
Sonia Pie loves this sort of stuff, so do the human rights folks...Stupid cops...

HB

Did you miss the part when the OP said "apparently" and "as I've been told"?, you haven't heard the other side of the story and you are already taking side?, gee!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
If that is true, that is serious, Vacara I'm Dominican too and well aware of the problem the Haitian migration represents, but to justify that abuse is just mindbogglingly. That kind of behaviour towards illegal inmigrants in the DR is just inexcusable.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
If that is true, that is serious, Vacara I'm Dominican too and well aware of the problem the Haitian migration represents, but to justify that abuse is just mindbogglingly. That kind of behaviour towards illegal inmigrants in the DR is just inexcusable.

To justify what abuse?, were you there?, were you a witness to the facts?. If what the OP says is real I would certainly be against it, it'd be morally wrong and I, having been a victim of police abuse would be personally oppose to it, but this doesn't look like something that really happened, police shooting at a guy cuz he didn't want to do construction work at the police station?, are you kidding me?, and look at the choice of words of the OP; Apparently?, and as I've been told?, through how many mouth has this story passed before it reached the forum?.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
To justify what abuse?, were you there?, were you a witness to the facts?. If what the OP says is real I would certainly be against it, it'd be morally wrong and I, having been a victim of police abuse would be personally oppose to it, but this doesn't look like something that really happened, police shooting at a guy cuz he didn't want to do construction work at the police station?, are you kidding me?, and look at the choice of words of the OP; Apparently?, and as I've been told?, through how many mouth has this story passed before it reached the forum?.

OK were you there?? to immediately come to the defense of the police perros? Do you think they are not capable of doing that, specially towards an haitian they didn't like?? They even have tried to abuse me!! (weren't successful due to connections). But those guys are really idiot guys with gun in their hips. And that gun enables them to abuse almost everybody, especially haitians they don't like.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
OK were you there?? to immediately come to the defense of the police perros? Do you think they are not capable of doing that, specially towards an haitian they didn't like?? They even have tried to abuse me!! (weren't successful due to connections). But those guys are really idiot guys with gun in their hips. And that gun enables them to abuse almost everybody, especially haitians they don't like.

I wasn't there so weren't you, so we have to give them the benefit of the doubt and I'm certainly not defending them but the idea that the police will shoot at a guy, in plain street with children and women in danger of being hit by stray bullets just because he refused to do a job at the station seems far fetched to me.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
........ but the idea that the police will shoot at a guy, in plain street with children and women in danger of being hit by stray bullets just because he refused to do a job at the station seems far fetched to me.

Welcome to the D.R.

My tendency to believe it far outweighs my tendency not to believe it.
And I wasn't there either!

Don SantiagoDR

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
doubt it

if you run from the police in the US you are likely to get shot from what I hear, although this too is only what I hear.

I dont think so unless you are also waving something around that might look like a weapon, but just hauling A$$ down the street/alley no!
Most of the places don't even do high speed pursuit any more due to the danger to the public.
The city and police involved get sued for doing things like that.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
I dont think so unless you are also waving something around that might look like a weapon, but just hauling A$$ down the street/alley no!
Most of the places don't even do high speed pursuit any more due to the danger to the public.

Depends on the reason why you are running.

Jun 18, 2007
I wasn't there so weren't you, so we have to give them the benefit of the doubt and I'm certainly not defending them but the idea that the police will shoot at a guy, in plain street with children and women in danger of being hit by stray bullets just because he refused to do a job at the station seems far fetched to me.

I heard the shots myself, they were fired approx 50mtrs from my house!!!! As soon as I heard them I ran out to see what was going on, I heard the women and children screaming and crying, I saw their fear stricken faces and I saw the cops!!!
Apparently this had happened last year also, the Haitian women went to their embassy and complained about it, they're going to the embassy again today.
Some women went yesterday to the station and complained to the Colonel and he told them to hit the road.
Let me tell you Vacara it's not far fetched, I've seen the police performing their "duties".

Jun 18, 2007

That's why they shoot, a bullet is faster. And who's going to ask questions if a cop kills a Haitian, they have a license to kill.;)

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
I heard the shots myself, they were fired approx 50mtrs from my house!!!! As soon as I heard them I ran out to see what was going on, I heard the women and children screaming and crying, I saw their fear stricken faces and I saw the cops!!!
Apparently this had happened last year also, the Haitian women went to their embassy and complained about it, they're going to the embassy again today.
Some women went yesterday to the station and complained to the Colonel and he told them to hit the road.
Let me tell you Vacara it's not far fetched, I've seen the police performing their "duties".

Do you have proof that the reason the police was shooting at the guy was because he refused to do construction job at the precinct?, cuz if you don't you are not addressing my points and there's not point in continuing this back and forward.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Frank,

Some people won't be happy until you track down the bullet
and get a first hand account from it!

Don SantiagoDR

blkronin

Sep 30, 2008
Some years ago I saw the police shoot a guy off a moto concho, he was down, plenty of people around who could have been hit. Once the guy was down they then continued to shoot him a further 3 or 4 times as he screamed wildly. I was there at this time as a tourist and it certainly put the wobblies up us to venture out more. So I can easily believe this story, although it may not be true.
Also, I seem to remember last year reading about the police making a roadblock in Sosua after someone robbed some camera equipment from Cabarete, in this event they apparently did manage to hit 2 innocent members of the public, a pregnant women if I remember correctly (although this might be my imagination) and someone else. I expect this did happen as it was in the newspapers.
I expect if anyone runs from the police for whatever reason, they are going to shoot at you, Haitian or not, if you run from the police in the US you are likely to get shot from what I hear, although this too is only what I hear.

You have not heard correctly. I have been with the New York State Police for 21 years. There are very strict rules regarding the use of deadly physical force. It is called the fleeing felon law. To explain it in terms a civilian can understand; you can only shoot at a person to protect your life or the life of a civilian, or to stop the commission of serious crimes like murder, rape, or serious assaults. In incidents that you decide to use deadly physical force, you are liable for where your rounds go. Every officer involved shooting is presented to a Grand Jury to determine justification. Do some reading instead of listening to people who have no idea what they are talking about.

Jun 18, 2007
Do you have proof that the reason the police was shooting at the guy was because he refused to do construction job at the precinct?, cuz if you don't you are not addressing my points and there's not point in continuing this back and forward.

I'm not a prosecutor nor a lawyer, I don't have to get to the bottom of this, I just commented on what I saw and heard, .
From what I've seen here in the DR I do believe the comments.
If you don't that's your prerogative.

Jun 18, 2007
You have not heard correctly. I have been with the New York State Police for 21 years. There are very strict rules regarding the use of deadly physical force. It is called the fleeing felon law. To explain it in terms a civilian can understand; you can only shoot at a person to protect your life or the life of a civilian, or to stop the commission of serious crimes like murder, rape, or serious assaults. In incidents that you decide to use deadly physical force, you are liable for where your rounds go. Every officer involved shooting is presented to a Grand Jury to determine justification. Do some reading instead of listening to people who have no idea what they are talking about.

They use excessive force also in the States, Rodney King etc etc. Innocent people get shot there too by the cops but off course it's not as bad as here in the DR where the cops shoot first before asking questions.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
Frank,

Some people won't be happy until you track down the bullet
and get a first hand account from it!

Don SantiagoDR

Some people will be happy with whatever they hear that fits their preconceived sick notion of DR and its society.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009

And still civilians get hurt/killed in the US.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
Sorry to get involved in this dispute between you and Frank, (maybe you have history?) but I don't think he is trying to proove a point in either way, only giving his opinion on what he believes to be the case, as he had heard.
Another guy was there and heard the shots which for me is the main point with pedestrians about, and that is not only a possibility but I'd say more than likely the case.
Whether the guy was running from work or with drugs is irrelevent really. I feel whatever the case may be, most are aware the police are quite trigger happy and would rather shoot than run after him, especially being a Haitian.
I think you may have had crossed wires on the point of the thread.
I think I'd be more inclined to think the original report was quite accurate as it doesn't shock.
IMO only.
Anyway, just trying to help you unravel the misunderstandings you seem to be having.

There's no history bet. me and Frank, or even me and anybody else in this forum for that matter. Frank saw something and he was kind enough to share it with us. My problem is with the rush to judgment that I have seem too often in my brief life in this forum.

Not long ago somebody had a problem with a lawyer and commented on it on DR1, soon everybody was calling the lawyer a "thief" and demanding from the poster to post his name so people knew who this "picapleito" was, even though nobody had heard the other side of the history.

A few days later the OP came back and cleared all the matter, he called the lawyer a nice and respectable person (not exactly his words) and said everything was a misunderstanding.

Now think about the implications if the OP had complied with the petitions to publish the guy name (even DR1 staffer asked for it) and later doesn't have the guts and offer an apology or an explanation!.