simple question

yess

Jun 1, 2008
So I am finally getting back at the end of September YAY!!!

On previous visits when staying at my partners family home, their housekeeper always washed and ironed all clothes before our return trip. A wonderful service, beyond her normal responsibilities and I feel tipping is appropriate. My partner, a Dominican who bargains for EVERYTHING, feels she is paid weekly by his parents and that is sufficient.

LOL just a difference in viewpoint. Anyway of course I will tip her but how much?

Second question - I prefer not to use my credit cards there. Last time I did my credit cards went on vacation without me! Instead of renting a car I want to hire a driver. Is this practical? Does anyone have someone in mind? The person need not speak english but must be reliable (hmmm on second thought) and have a decent safe car. This will be near Bonao.

Thanks and PM with driver info if you can

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
So I am finally getting back at the end of September YAY!!!

On previous visits when staying at my partners family home, their housekeeper always washed and ironed all clothes before our return trip. A wonderful service, beyond her normal responsibilities and I feel tipping is appropriate. My partner, a Dominican who bargains for EVERYTHING, feels she is paid weekly by his parents and that is sufficient.

LOL just a difference in viewpoint. Anyway of course I will tip her but how much?

Second question - I prefer not to use my credit cards there. Last time I did my credit cards went on vacation without me! Instead of renting a car I want to hire a driver. Is this practical? Does anyone have someone in mind? The person need not speak english but must be reliable (hmmm on second thought) and have a decent safe car. This will be near Bonao.

Thanks and PM with driver info if you can

You might prefer to bring something "special" along for that person (too). Your money will go a longer way, buying a small recognizable "name" brand (VERY Important.. older JLO is a well recognized "brand" for an example and available cheap at TjMax or US flea markets) perfume or something the like than just a couple of 100 Pesos here. The person also feel remembered (which actually is the case) and thus important and will gladly give you some special attention again.
Additionally, you don't mess with her patron's financial setup.
Just make sure that you bring something to your "relatives" which appears of higher value than what you are handing their employees or you will loose some points you may not care to loose.

Finding a routined driver here seems an interesting concept, but then, it's our very local's driving style which is the issue at hand here on these roads. So, who are you going to pick? IF you do, and I am not saying you shouldn't, I would recommend you take somebody over the age of at least 45years or over (that's how I pick cab drivers and moto chonchistas when ever; he's survived so far... good, he might survive another couple of weeks :), and he's cooled down from testosterone too the saver for you) and have them drive NOT your vehicle but their own (which you will inspect for proper lighting, brakes and not showing signs of a history of major crashes.). A good way to pay (I did that in Ecuador once) is to offer a set of new tires or fix the lights... food while you're on the road together (it's expected) and some pocket money. In Bonao I wouldn't know anyone (only in Santo Domingo). Otherwise, it's mostly guys who have doubled as security or body guards which have some experience as a driver for people with a valuable vehicle.

... J-D.