Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Safety

Post Thanks / Like

Default Safety

I just read through nearly half of the threads in this section. I was actually very excited about the 5 day trip to a beautiful Villa in the town of Cabrera on a cliff overlooking the ocean that I recenty booked. I have to say, after reading this section, I'm asking myself why anyone would even visit such a place. I'm hoping someone can change my mind. We are tourists, but not stupid either. I have rented a car at the Las Americas airport and plan to make the trip on the "new" highway to Cabrera around noon time. We would like to stop in Nagua at one of the larger supermarkets to pick up some groceries, before we get on the coastal route to Cabrera. The only driving we plan to do is from the villa to the beaches, and dinner in the early evening. Can anyone help me to feel better about this? I really feel like I picked the wrong island!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

When you live here the inevitable frustrations of daily life result in you missing the "big picture".......

The Dominican Republic is a STUNNINGLY beautiful island & Dominicans are some of the NICEST people I know.

Enjoy your holiday, just be careful on the roads - remember you have had driving tuition, most Dominicans haven't - & take sensible precautions with money/valuables etc.

Oh, & let please let us all know how the holiday went when you get home

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

I (a Brit) have lived here in the DR with my family for 5 years and have never had a problem of any kind. As ffritz says, just take sensible precautions, the same type of precautions that you would take when visiting ANY foriegn country and you'll have a fantastic holiday in one of the most picturesque locations you have ever seen!
    Don't worry be happy!!!

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I will defer to other posters on this because I may be prejudiced ... having a house on a cliff in Cabrera (not your rental, or I would have the booking)

Cabrera is a very quiet place with a very small population and very little tourist traffic.

In my opinion, the horror stories you hear occur in the bigger cities or the high traffic tourist areas - just like everywhere else in the world. Think Miami, Jamaica, even NYC has an undeserved reputation (in my opinion) for danger. Dangerous , yes - in certain places , at certain times and under certain circumstances.

Do the Cabrera search here and you will find suggestions for local restaurants, etc.

There are many beaches nearby. Make sure you go to Playa Grande and have lunch on the beach - it is delicious!

Yes you can stop in Nagua for groceries, but Cabrera will give you what you need too. Bigger selection in Nagua.

Enjoy yourself. Drive carefully. I

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

one of the draw backs to reading up on a place too much before you go.

before i came down here i was nervios more than usuall about being here becouse of all the bad things talked about. then i read up on like cancun and some of the stuff they talk about going on over there might have stopped me from going there. that was a place i didnt feel threatened at all there ran the streets at night had a pretty phat wad in my pocket talked to about anyone except the pesty drug dealers all over.and have never had a problem there.

I have only been in SD for about a week now and feel safe here all though i did take some extra precations like laptop straped around neck wallet in front didnt bring anything too valuble mostly just becouse i new i would be getting around by buses not cabs to save money. have wondered he streets here 3am and feel fine no one bothering me and i dont see too many white guys running around so know i stick out. so dont focus tooooo much on the bad that can happen. on one of the us gov tourist adv pages read how most of the places are no more dangerous than being in any major us city.

now ima get robbed and add to the horror stories lol.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

I think you did well in trying to dig up some information on a particular place you plan to visit before you go.
    I also think, that the best way apply this gathered information would be to learn from other people's mistakes (not making the same errors) and learn to recognize the typical hot spots and also behaviors which seem to have driven people into problems. I think that a person who has these pre-information and been able to convert it into an intelligent defensive demeanor should be as safe as possible when visiting the country and thus able to fully enjoy their stay here.

... J-D.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

If the place is the same on the cliffs near Cabrera, it is absolutely beautiful and one of my favorite places on the island. What is the name of the hotel? I was recently visiting the DR and spent 3 days in Samana, 4 days in Jaya de San Francisco de Macoris and 3 days in the Capital. Met a young couple from NY in Samana who rented a car and were driving all over the place. Just listen to the advice of the Dominicans at the hotel. I don't know about that new highway, never been on it, but Nagua is fine for a lttle grocery shopping. I'm sure Cabrera or Rio San Juan will have the same to offer at the same price. You will be fine.

Tom F.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

The nasty things you have been reading about on these boards is here simply because that stuff is unusual and (unless otherwise noted) doesn't occur frequently. Having read up on it will make you more vigilant and, as a consequence, less likely to encounter any problems. Be VERY careful with your driving. For instance, where I live, the Dominicans like to steal the man hole covers from the middle of the street leaving a very deep and dangerous hole. Someone will usually stick a tree branch or something in it to draw your attention. So as I say, exercise extreme caution while driving and normal tourist caution at other times. I predict you will have an enjoyable visit and will likely return.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

unfortunately when someone has a good experience they rarely post anything about it, so you tend to get a very unbalanced view of what a place is really like

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jrhartley View Post
    unfortunately when someone has a good experience they rarely post anything about it, so you tend to get a very unbalanced view of what a place is really like
    So true, and why are newspapers always full of bad news? Because that is what makes them popular to read and sells newspapers.... sad, but true.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast