British Citizens - Passport Changes

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
As of August 31 2009, you can no longer renew your passport in the Dominican Republic.
I found this out this morning when I went to renew mine, how's that for timing :(

British Embassy in the Dominican Republic

You need to courier your paperwork, photos and old passport to the USA.

The UK Passport Service Centre for the Americas and Caribbean
British Embassy
19 Observatory Circle, NW
Washington, DC 20008

In the meantime The British Embassy in Santo Domingo will continue to issue Emergency Passports for people who need to travel quickly.

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
As of August 31 2009, you can no longer renew your passport in the Dominican Republic.
I found this out this morning when I went to renew mine, how's that for timing :(

British Embassy in the Dominican Republic

You need to courier your paperwork, photos and old passport to the USA.

The UK Passport Service Centre for the Americas and Caribbean
British Embassy
19 Observatory Circle, NW
Washington, DC 20008

In the meantime The British Embassy in Santo Domingo will continue to issue Emergency Passports for people who need to travel quickly.

Really? I was at the Embassy yesterday to apply for the Baby's first passport and they never mentioned a thing about them not doing it. Then again I still have to get some documents together before I can submit it.

Is this just something for passport renewals do you know?

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Really? I was at the Embassy yesterday to apply for the Baby's first passport and they never mentioned a thing about them not doing it. Then again I still have to get some documents together before I can submit it.

Is this just something for passport renewals do you know?

They told me all passport applications.

They also state that on their web site.
Passports

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
They told me all passport applications.

They also state that on their web site.
Passports

Seems you're right..... Wish they wouldn't waste my time telling me to come back with the documents to the Embassy...

And incidentally, if anyone knows how to solve the problem I have with the little one's application it would be appreciated.....

We need a Countersignatory (of standing, British or Not) who has known me 2 years and can certify the pictures of the baby. I have lived here in the DR for a year or so....

Now, nobody in Country can certify that they've known me more than 2 years because they haven't. Anyone in the UK cannot certify the baby pictures because technically, they haven't met. Members of my family cannot sign for obvious reasons. I cannot travel with the baby without his passport (or without getting his Dominican passport and a VISA for the UK, to go there to apply in person), My Wife (Dominican) cannot make the application because she is not the British Citizen..... yada yada yada...

Do I really have to wait another year before somebody can help, seems a little crazy situation.

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Dearyme SteveS, you're in the DR now. Just have a word with your Dominican lawyer or any other Official you know, tell him its worth RD$ 500 for his signature and statement on the document and photo. Problem solved, nobody ever seems to check.

tish

Mar 10, 2007
Methods of payment for the UK passport renewal

I've just been reading their website.

Is it possible in the DR to get a money order, cashier or certified bankers cheque written in English, if you don't have a credit card?

Feb 7, 2007
That might look a little suspect if he has only been in the DR for a year and they do decide to check up. Although it does seem to be a catch 22.

They could have met before him coming to live to DR, e.g. on vacation, and that meeting could have been anywhere ... DR, Europe, USA, etc. I guess it DOESN'T say the person has to know the applicant for 2 years IN the DR ... just knowing him for 2 years.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com

The Ambassador mentioned something about this when he was in Cofresi for a social do a couple of months back, although he didn't elaborate that we wouldn't be dropping off our passports and forms to the PP Consulate as in the past. So I was left thinking the proceedure was the same, just Mexico had been superceded by Washington. Clearly not so, & thank you for alerting everyone.

I had a look at the different websites last night (UKinDR, UKinUS) & there does seem to be something of a differential on timescales: one says it takes 10 days with posting time additional, another 4 weeks and another 6 weeks. Would you mind telling us when your new passport safely arrives, Robert?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I renewed my australian passport a year or so ago by sending it to Washington DC. It felt uncomfortable to be here without a passport, but in the end it was all pretty straightforward. The only catch was the couriers do have issues with sending passports, so its helpful to know the right people at your mail service.

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
FYI everybody, I rang the 0.69p + VAT per minute line (in my despair) and the 2 year rule is not strict, if you dont have the two year person, then someone for less will do. The girl said that I should use the Doctor who gave birth and we had 9 months of appointments with would serve ok.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Renewals for Puerto Plata Brits

Extensive research in PP revealed there was not one single courrier service prepared to accept a passport for onward transmission so I wrote to the Ambassador asking whether I should either tell a porky :cheeky: and pretend it was something else or whether I could hitch a ride in the diplomatic bag ;). Herewith the very helpful response from the Vice Consul. They will be updating their website with this info but I post here in case website amendments take some time & in the hopes that one query from me would save the Embassy from being inundated.

Hi Ginnie,

I reply to your e-mail on behalf of Ambassador Worthington.

Before the new passport issuing system came into effect, we made enquires in the courier companies about the acceptance of passports from particulars. At that opportunity DHL and UPS told us that they accepted passports from particulars as long as they were addressed to a diplomatic mission (Embassy or Consulate). On receipt of your e-mail to Amb. Worthington I contacted DHL and UPS to confirm the information they had given to us before.

Apparently the problem is that DHL and UPS have no offices in Puerto Plata but agencies and these agencies do not accept passports. They suggested that applicants from Puerto Plata proceed as follow:

UPS - Use the agency 'Puerto Plata Express' (telno. 809 586 8264). If they still refuse receiving the passport, ask them to contact UPS main office in Santo Domingo.

DHL - Applicants can arrange collection from their office in Santiago (telno. 809 241 2424).

I hope these arrangements are suitable to you. Should you find further difficulties in submitting your passport application, do not hesitate to contact me.

Our website is being amended to include this new information.

Kind regards

(emboldening mine)

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Extensive research in PP revealed there was not one single courrier service prepared to accept a passport for onward transmission so I wrote to the Ambassador asking whether I should either tell a porky :cheeky: and pretend it was something else or whether I could hitch a ride in the diplomatic bag ;). Herewith the very helpful response from the Vice Consul. They will be updating their website with this info but I post here in case website amendments take some time & in the hopes that one query from me would save the Embassy from being inundated.

Hi Ginnie,

I reply to your e-mail on behalf of Ambassador Worthington.

Before the new passport issuing system came into effect, we made enquires in the courier companies about the acceptance of passports from particulars. At that opportunity DHL and UPS told us that they accepted passports from particulars as long as they were addressed to a diplomatic mission (Embassy or Consulate). On receipt of your e-mail to Amb. Worthington I contacted DHL and UPS to confirm the information they had given to us before.

Apparently the problem is that DHL and UPS have no offices in Puerto Plata but agencies and these agencies do not accept passports. They suggested that applicants from Puerto Plata proceed as follow:

UPS - Use the agency 'Puerto Plata Express' (telno. 809 586 8264). If they still refuse receiving the passport, ask them to contact UPS main office in Santo Domingo.

DHL - Applicants can arrange collection from their office in Santiago (telno. 809 241 2424).

I hope these arrangements are suitable to you. Should you find further difficulties in submitting your passport application, do not hesitate to contact me.

Our website is being amended to include this new information.

Kind regards

(emboldening mine)

Great info, Ginnie. Thank you for taking the trouble for the benefit of us all.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
As from December the new UK Ambassador to the DR will be Steven Fisher, previously deputy in Hungary. CV here:
Newsroom

I'm alerting you because avid readers :cheeky: of the UK Embassy in DR's website might have missed it since it appears to be filed under UK Embassy in Guatemala's website.............

New Ambassador looks like this:
The British Embassy in Hungary Newsroom

Scott Cain from Make Your Mark and Steve Fisher, Deputy UK Ambassador in Hungary on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Personally I shall be sad to see Ambassador Ian Worthington leave - IMHO he was the best UK Ambassador we've had since we have lived here. We'll never forget his predecessor of course ;) but I'm afraid I can't remember the names of some of the Ambassadors before that....... I'm sure all the Brits here will extend a warm welcome to Ambassador Fisher when he gets here.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
In case any of you was wondering, my UK passport arrived back via UPS at the end of last week. That's around a 3 week turnaround.

I used CPS via FedEx, they have no issues sending passports.

Costs:
FedEx Fee: US$35
New UK passport and courier fee: US$225

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
As from December the new UK Ambassador to the DR will be Steven Fisher, previously deputy in Hungary. CV here:
Newsroom

I'm alerting you because avid readers :cheeky: of the UK Embassy in DR's website might have missed it since it appears to be filed under UK Embassy in Guatemala's website.............

New Ambassador looks like this:
The British Embassy in Hungary Newsroom

Scott Cain from Make Your Mark and Steve Fisher, Deputy UK Ambassador in Hungary on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Personally I shall be sad to see Ambassador Ian Worthington leave - IMHO he was the best UK Ambassador we've had since we have lived here. We'll never forget his predecessor of course ;) but I'm afraid I can't remember the names of some of the Ambassadors before that....... I'm sure all the Brits here will extend a warm welcome to Ambassador Fisher when he gets here.

Of course we will be happy to welcome the new Ambassador, Steven Fisher, when he arrives but, may I also compliment Ian Worthington who, as far as we have been concerned, did an excellent job during his 3 year term and has become a good friend to us too.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
In case any of you was wondering, my UK passport arrived back via UPS at the end of last week. That's around a 3 week turnaround.

I used CPS via FedEx, they have no issues sending passports.

Costs:
FedEx Fee: US$35
New UK passport and courier fee: US$225

Good to know that you got your new UK passport without any problems but are you serious that we have to pay in US dollars??!!!

SteveS

Apr 15, 2008
Of course we will be happy to welcome the new Ambassador, Steven Fisher, when he arrives but, may I also compliment Ian Worthington who, as far as we have been concerned, did an excellent job during his 3 year term and has become a good friend to us too.

DR1 News today reported that Rita D Rahman coming from the UK, but it appears on a little digging she's actually Dutch so maybe the newswires got it wrong?

Hopefully Mr Fisher might help stop me having to attend the embassy 4 times to register a birth.. We only avoided the fifth visit as I started to get a little angry with the lady at the embassy after she wanted to send me away again for more unnecessary paperwork...

(and one of those times was due to the opening times on their website being incorrect.......fridays only til 1230..not 1)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
DR1 News today reported that Rita D Rahman coming from the UK, but it appears on a little digging she's actually Dutch so maybe the newswires got it wrong?
Well spotted Steve, it's now been corrected on the online version of the DR1 news. That is the way it was reported in the DR press and it was taken at face value by the DR1 news team...