solar cover for swimming pool?

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
I'd like to hear from anyone who uses a solar swimming pool cover during the winter months-- Does it significantly increase water temperature? Can one be purchased in the DR or should I use a mail order source in the US?
Thank you very much for your time-
Susan

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I'd like to hear from anyone who uses a solar swimming pool cover during the winter months-- Does it significantly increase water temperature? Can one be purchased in the DR or should I use a mail order source in the US?
Susan

We used and installed them in Spain. The winter months get MUCH cooler than here. The covers would keep pools at an acceptable temperature during most of the winter and most of all reduce heating cost drastically at the beginning of the season. It holds heat you added (heat pump, solar or daytime heat) and also lets the sun heat the pool thru the cover (IF you have direct sun light on the pool surface).

They last a couple of years, as contrary to ambiguous claims by the manufacturers and distributors, they do suffer from chlorine / salt and UV.

I have not seen any there... no wonder they are to be custom cut and sewn together for each pool's shape. I would assume they could be shipped from a Florida (preferably Miami) manufacturer thru a shipping forwarder.

There is an optional roll up device available too.. that probably too heavy and bulky to ship... but you could draw up something and have it welded together locally using a drain pipe as the roll?

... J-D.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Thanks, JD, for the info-- Yes, we're hoping to retain the water's daytime heat as we have a pump, but no heater-- One of our renters last winter remarked on the chilly water so we thought we'd look into it-- The website solarcovers.com has pre-cut clear plastic covers for around $200-- As you said, I'm sure they won't last too long! I like your idea of having the roll-up device made in the DR-- Thank you again!!

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Thanks, JD, for the info-- Yes, we're hoping to retain the water's daytime heat as we have a pump, but no heater-- One of our renters last winter remarked on the chilly water so we thought we'd look into it-- The website solarcovers.com has pre-cut clear plastic covers for around $200-- As you said, I'm sure they won't last too long! I like your idea of having the roll-up device made in the DR-- Thank you again!!

The only stuff that really ADDS some heat, is a bubble sheet material. It has a better insulation factor and the translucent plastic bubbles act somewhat like little lenses with the sun rays.

Now, with your tenants: I would NOT do it at all.
First of all, floating flexible pool cover can be a life threatening trap to children, pets and drunks, as if one falls incidentally or for "play" onto such a cover, the cover WILL wrap itself around that body and pull it down, most inevitably drowning the victim(s).
Secondly, it's a somewhat delicate item and if it's not handled with a lot of care, it won't last.

I'd rather suggest adding some solar heating by simply using a small low consumption circulation pump and a good mess of black irrigation pipe facing the sun.
It will not turn your pool into a boiling jacuzzi but still yank the temperature up a couple of degrees (C) to make the pool nice year 'round.

... J-D.

May 8, 2009
Susan

A solar cover will definitely extend your swimming season. If you decide to get one, I recommend to get a reel as JD mentioned. More often than not, the cover ends up in a pile in the corner of the yard without a reel. Keep in mind that the covers have a life expectancy as well- they will begin to fall apart and fill up the pot basket on your pump and get into your filter as well. If you can afford solar panels, that is the way to go-

Coastline

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Hi Susan,
you can buy Solar Floaties. Basically 2' x 3" inflated discs that lie on the surface of the water, they retain the heat in the pool to 30 constantly. When you get in just put them to one side. I expect this is much cheaper and less hassle than installing anything. You can put them in and remove at will, I was suprised how well they worked and the temp does keep a constant 30.
Maybe worth looking into it.

Yep, I've seen them been offered over the net recently, as a generic non-custom approach. Since they are circular in shape, they will evidently not cover 100% of the water surface and I suspect that many may found swimming on top of each other in a corner of the pool (near the skimmers) after been left unattended for a couple of windy days. But at least they would seem easy (no custom order) and not too expensive to buy, easy to handle and store and probably posing much less of an accident (drowning) risk than the custom cut full floating cover for their small individual size making them much less prone to wrap themselves around a body.

... J-D.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Thanks for this great info!

Thank you so much for all this great advice-- I went AWOL after JD's excellent caveat about safety of children-- I think the solar discs are exactly what we need!
Muchas gracias!
Susan