Mistreatment of Haitians in the DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pavlov

Sep 4, 2009
I've heard various stories about police gratuitiously abusing Haitians living in the Dominican Republic.

For example one Haitian woman in Sosua who hangs out at the bars says she was put in jail 13 times in one month, for no real reason, just because the tourism police wanted a payoff.

I've heard of a Haitian who was killed by the police apparently because they liked his car or motorcycle and this was their way of getting it. Another was killed by police because the cop alleged that the guy had yelled at his sister. The sister had apparently falsely accused him of cheating on his wife.

I'm trying to research this stuff for a possible book or movie or something still to be defined but would appreciate any input from others about this.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Let me say something wich may not be politically correct:

I've heard various stories about police gratuitiously abusing Haitians living in the Dominican Republic.

For example one Haitian woman in Sosua who hangs out at the bars says she was put in jail 13 times in one month, for no real reason, just because the tourism police wanted a payoff.
All hookers and semi-pros, Dominican or not "hanging" around Sosua bars pay payoffs cash or "favors". Maybe she should pay like all or quit "hanging"?

I've heard of a Haitian who was killed by the police apparently because they liked his car or motorcycle and this was their way of getting it.
Not to completely discredit the story, but was it now, a car or a bike? A Dominican, a Gringo or a Haitian. Shot dead or ass kicked. Vehicle with papers to the victim's name or... ?

Another was killed by police because the cop alleged that the guy had yelled at his sister. The sister had apparently falsely accused him of cheating on his wife.
If I, you or any Dominican hollers at a policeman's wife, sister or daughter, we all stand a chance to get into serious trouble. Don't do it, even if you were to be Haitian, period.

I'm trying to research this stuff for a possible book or movie or something still to be defined but would appreciate any input from others about this.

You do that, dedicate your life to help Haitians or whom ever, without any sarcasm implied, my hat off to you. But IF you want to write a book, please do you, the Haitians and eventually your and the Haitian's guest country the favor and base it on facts you can verify and don't just accuse one side but also try to come up with a doable solutions, for Haitians AND the Dominican Republic alike. Because you will be faced with as many claims of Haitian criminality, social structure abuse and so forth before your book even hits the market, which could quickly make you look as a fool at least or part of the problem.

I am NOT saying some Haitians have not been abused in the most brutal and not seldom terminal way imaginable or that most will not have felt the general contempt against them. NEITHER am I saying that their life is easy here. Still, to so many Haitians, it not only still seems a more attractive alternative than staying in their own country we also ought not to forget, that a vast majority of Dominicans have suffered repeated abuse by authorities... mainly the police, and continue to experience this every day, maybe something you may want to bring up in your book in detail too, not to appear biased or having an "agenda".

... J-D.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Pavlov,
There's no doubt some truth in the claims one hears, but it goes much deeper than what you might see on the surface. Assuming you're non-native Dominican or Haitian... it would take you years of experience to begin to truly understand the cultural aspects of what goes on, what is accepted as normal behavior and why it's perhaps valid.

And be careful with one side of the story. The Haitian woman you spoke to could have very likely been taken off the streets 13 times in one month 'for no reason'. What she might not tell you is that she pulled a knife on someone the first of those 13 times & police have told her to stay off the streets... or that she steals from 'clients' repeatedly... or that when she has money, she's drunk/high/disruptive... or that she's in the country illegally with no documentation... etc, etc.

As for the stories you hear, I know some Dominicans in the south who won't stray near the Haitian border. Why? "They eat Dominicans there." Said with all seriousness. "They have a sausage factory, they chop up Dominicans and make them into sausage." Perhaps worth investigating?

Anyhow, I don't have a problem with a book or documentary on the topic... there's a story to be told. I don't condone the abuse of authority, but the chances of misrepresenting/mischaracterizing reality is high.

Reactions: J D Sauser
Status
Not open for further replies.