debit card problem in las terrenas

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
My wife,a dominican,living in el limon,has a debit card from banco popular...a savings account debit card...yesterday I was at bank in LT to deposit some money,and the receipt was 5000 pesos short....so,as it is in my wifes name,she had to come from el limon to LT to find out whats up...well,luckily,banco popular has had a 5000 peso limit a day on all debit cards....they have been having a rash of card cloning....well,it seems that at 8am on thursday,someone withdrew 5000 pesos from her account,all the time her card was with her in el limon...Banco popular put a hold of some kind on the card,so my wie has to go in person to the bank to withdraw money now,and the 5000 pesos is history and bank basically said tough shttttt...I asked about the cameras at the atm,look at 8am and see who did the deed,but the look I got was.....well you all know....
anyways,thank goodness the 5000 peso withdraw limit was in affect,or all would have gone....
bob

Last edited by a moderator:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Catching Up

My wife,a dominican,living in el limon,has a debit card from banco popular...a savings account debit card...yesterday I was at bank in LT to deposit some money,and the receipt was 5000 pesos short....so,as it is in my wifes name,she had to come from el limon to LT to find out whats up...well,luckily,banco popular has had a 5000 peso limit a day on all debit cards....they have been having a rash of card cloning....well,it seems that at 8am on thursday,someone withdrew 5000 pesos from her account,all the time her card was with her in el limon...Banco popular put a hold of some kind on the card,so my wie has to go in person to the bank to withdraw money now,and the 5000 pesos is history and bank basically said tough shttttt...I asked about the cameras at the atm,look at 8am and see who did the deed,but the look I got was.....well you all know....
anyways,thank goodness the 5000 peso withdraw limit was in affect,or all would have gone....
bob

It appears that LT is catching up with the Sosua and Cabarete crowd on the scams. Maybe this type of theft will swing up as the season approaches.

We should all keep an eye open.

I must agree with the other thread (with whom i previously disagreed :-(()

DON'T USE ATM's CARRY CASH USE THE MONEY CHANGER
Ugh------- I hate reversing myself !!

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Debit Card problem

I too have my RD accounts with Banco Popular, LT. So far I have not lost any money but I am extremely cautious about their ATM having read about these frauds. I have a BP Peso account card and UK Credit Cards. I have found that the best solution has been and is, to also open a US$ savings account jointly with your wife. You can pay into it from as little as GB? 250 (approxUS$ 400) by free electronic transfer, using say HIFX, draw on it, in dollars and toddle along to Caribe Express or Western Union and change it into pesos. (best rates in town consistently, the chap opposite the cemetery used to be good but now I find he's always at least 5 pesos worse than the above.) If I want money from my peso account, inside the bank I ask for a sum higher than RD$ 10,000. Otherwise I only ever use the cards for purchases, eg. Lindo. except in dire emergency. Mind you it would help if BP or somebody would tell us how these cards are cloned so we could know what to look out for. Best of luck, hope you loose no more money.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Ohhhhh noooooo. Not in Last Terrenas too :-( this has been happening in Sosua & Cabarete. Next time I am around I'll have to be extra careful!