Good news thread?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I would like to report a piece of good news if that is not too boring.....

My Halifax Bank UK debit card got "eaten" by the Banco Popular ATM behind the Isla filling station in Sabaneta on Tuesday. My neighbour, who speaks better Spanish than we do, spoke to the bank in Cabarete and they told us we would need to ring daily to find out if the card had been retrieved... that was okay because on Thursday they said it was fine and awaiting collection. Today, Friday, we went to Banco Popular in Cabarete and as soon as I mentioned that is was a Halifax debit card I had the response of 'welcome Mrs. WB - just wait one moment'. My debit card was returned to me by Melvin in Banco Popular, Cabarete - the card was unharmed and uncut. A good experience.... am sure there are many more so please relate them everyone!!!

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
:)

I loved this bit of good news. Nice to hear something wonderful happening amongst all the awful stuff. I wish more people would post this type of message.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Great news!!!

I assume you cancelled the card and got a new one just in case your "credit card angel" decided to clone it and then return it to you, check your account online.

Reactions: mike l

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Great news!!!

I assume you cancelled the card and got a new one just in case your "credit card angel" decided to clone it and then return it to you, check your account online.

No, I didn't cancel the card as it is such a long drawn-out and expensive hassle getting a new one sent here but I did check the account for any discrepencies before I posted and there were none.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If one of of my credit/ATH cards is out of my posession for more than a few minutes, I would surely cancel it, hey it's your money.

I assume you have a second account at that UK institution, with card access, transfer the assets to that account, problem solved.

Trust me, from experience, an ATH card with a credit card logo on it in DR out of your posession is a disaster waiting to happen.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
All they need is the card number and expiration date and the card is cloned and sold to someone in Moscow, or Paraguay!

Two months later your account is cleaned out, adios dinero, you have been warned, good luck getting the funds replenished.

You can start a new thread on DR1: "Credit Card Fraud, It can happen to you"!

I am sorry for being so harsh WB, please use common sense and cancel this card today.

Mar 2, 2008
GOOD NEWS!

Hooters is coming to Sosua, or so I've heard.

United and inspired prayer amongst the patrons of Eddie's averted a hurricane hitting the north coast.

Britannia still has a two for one happy hour.

Rocky's still Rocks.

The crowd at El Flow is less belligerent and actually friendly, at times.

It only rains at night in Sosua, and it never rains inside Passions, although they do have a shower.

And sometime within the next year, jr hartley will allow me to buy him a beer at one of the above mentioned establishments.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
GOOD NEWS!

Hooters is coming to Sosua, or so I've heard.

United and inspired prayer amongst the patrons of Eddie's averted a hurricane hitting the north coast.

Britannia still has a two for one happy hour.

Rocky's still Rocks.

The crowd at El Flow is less belligerent and actually friendly, at times.

It only rains at night in Sosua, and it never rains inside Passions, although they do have a shower.

And sometime within the next year, jr hartley will allow me to buy him a beer at one of the above mentioned establishments.

That's the "spirit"...

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
Some how I cant see myself in la passiones.......more good news for some people lol
I may escape from the men in white coats long enough to get a free beer

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Some how I cant see myself in la passiones.......more good news for some people lol
I may escape from the men in white coats long enough to get a free beer

They have good Buffalo Wings there, nice and spicy!

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
good news thread?
I just got back from colombia. wow wow wow. what a country.
Armenia is the best place in colombia. 2nd runner up = Medellin.
AZB