Credit card cloned

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Back in July, I used my Bahamian credit card at Sirena POP for a charge in the amount of $119.54. I had not used this card in a few months.

On my July statement, I had this charge plus 32 other charges from the Philipines, most of them in the amount of $119, 117, or less. The fraudulent charges started the day I used my card at Sirena.

It seems obvious that my card was cloned at Sirena. Please be advised that this is not the store's fault, its very easy for one cashier to clone a card.

My credit card company has removed the charges from my bill. No big deal. However, there is another thread about card cloning and I believe this practice has gained much popularity in recent months.

I hope these bastards get caught.

Last edited by a moderator:

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
It happened to me a month or so ago and the one charge was about $119 in Shanghai China. The charge has been reversed and I have the new card in hand.

I met an American a few days ago at the little tire repair place just east of M?ximo G?mez on Independencia in Santo Trafficjam and while were talking I mentioned the Shanghai charge.

He laughed and said "Oh yeah. I had one of those."

Maybe we'll see in the local news that some people get arrested for being behind it...or not.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I stopped useing my credit cards here a year ago and thought that would really be an inconvienience. It has been great paying cash for everything and I never have to worry about things like this. Be smarter than them, don?t give them the chance.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
It's not somebody at Sirena, it's somebody at CARDNET. It seems to be a recurring problem for them, as it's happened in the past.

The numbers are sold by insiders at CARDNET to criminal elements.

No matter where you use your credit card in the DR, it is processed by CARDNET, so it's not fair to blame the store where you used the card.

I agree with this. In a previous thread about National Rent A Car I said I thought it was someone who worked at the card processors. We've already decided when we go for a month we're bringing cash and our checkbook - a friend of mine will cash the checks for us.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Unfortunately, problems of this nature are universal.

I have had this happen to me twice this year alone and very seldom ever use my credit card.

I did ask my financial institution if these acitivities had occured in the DR and they informed me that both times, they took place in Canada.

GALK

Mar 12, 2006
I had a Visa card cloned twice last summer in Sto. Domingo and besides the inconvenience there were no costs.
These cards were only used in the DR.
Interesting to me is that up to now it never happend with an Amex card, do they have a different security system or is this coincidence?

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
It's not somebody at Sirena, it's somebody at CARDNET. It seems to be a recurring problem for them, as it's happened in the past.

The numbers are sold by insiders at CARDNET to criminal elements.

No matter where you use your credit card in the DR, it is processed by CARDNET, so it's not fair to blame the store where you used the card.

I believe there are at least two credit card processors in the DR; CardNet and VisaNet, and I believe you are correct that the problem is not likely with the merchants themselves, but rather with the credit card processors, CardNet or VisaNet, or to be more precise, someone who works for one of the credit card processors. Certainly won't be the first time this very thing has happened concerning someone who works for one of the credit card processing companies............

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I believe there are at least two credit card processors in the DR; CardNet and VisaNet, and I believe you are correct that the problem is not likely with the merchants themselves, but rather with the credit card processors, CardNet or VisaNet, or to be more precise, someone who works for one of the credit card processors. Certainly won't be the first time this very thing has happened concerning someone who works for one of the credit card processing companies............

so who is cloning the debit cards from Banco Popular/?????

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Amex

I had a Visa card cloned twice last summer in Sto. Domingo and besides the inconvenience there were no costs.
These cards were only used in the DR.
Interesting to me is that up to now it never happend with an Amex card, do they have a different security system or is this coincidence?

I had an AMEX card problem last February. The THRIFTY car rental in SDQ. Its on another post here about card theft/cloning.

Charges were made for an airplane ticket in Miami and two hotel rooms in Bueonos Aires. There were a few "teaser" charges to an on-line telephone service before the big boys landed - total was $3-4,000.

All waived and new card issued.

I suggested then and now again - if you feel uncomfortable w/ the clerk processing your card (by machine or hand), take a picture of them w/ your cell phone. That should make them think twice! Or once! :))

Of course, it won't help at CardNet

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
And if all of this isn't funny enough......

I USUALLY use my VISA card to fund purchases made with paypal.

The other night I was short on cash when I went to the movies, so I paid for the tickets with my VISA card, and, on the way home, bought some medicine as well.

When I went on line the next day to see if the charges were there(I check my CC accounts every day), I discovered my VISA card account was blocked.

Called customer service, and they told me there was fraudulent activity on my card in the Dominican Republic, at a movie theater and a pharmacy.

I explained the to the rep that I live here, and he told me, "Don't worry, you're card has already been cancelled, and a new one will be arriving shortly"

There is supposed to be some sort of notation on my VISA account that I live here, but, with banks taking over other banks left and right, that notation got lost in the shuffle.

OMG - too funny....well not for you...but very ironic.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
CC Travel

I have always reported my travel plans to AMEX. They will block the card if you stray too far ... but Visa and MC have never asked for it.... until now!

I just got the new Continental branded card which is manged by Chase - the new rules want me to report my travel to them --- X number of months in the DR and so on.
So, you're right- the rules, they are a'changin'.....

BTW that Continental card allows a 2 for 1 business class ticket when bought on the card.
On my last query that was $150/pp more from Newark compared to the lowest available fare........... $1050 for 2 bus class-- compared to $750 for 2 coach class.

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Back in July, I used my Bahamian credit card at Sirena POP for a charge in the amount of $119.54. I had not used this card in a few months.

On my July statement, I had this charge plus 32 other charges from the Philipines, most of them in the amount of $119, 117, or less. The fraudulent charges started the day I used my card at Sirena.

It seems obvious that my card was cloned at Sirena. Please be advised that this is not the store's fault, its very easy for one cashier to clone a card.

My credit card company has removed the charges from my bill. No big deal. However, there is another thread about card cloning and I believe this practice has gained much popularity in recent months.

You are right Conchman, I am very careful of using my CCards after incidents a few years ago with the ATM's. Now my cards have been blocked for use on the ATMs here. I always go into the bank. But needs must and 2 years ago I used my Visa at La Sirena in Santiago. It was used again at that store for other purchases. When I spoke to a Senior Manager, he denied it until I explained certain things. He then admitted that they know they have a problem, especially with international C.Cards.
Just recently I used my Banco St Cruz Visa, (thinking it would be safe) at La Sirena in POP. A few days after I had a call from Banco St.Cruz Security division asking if I had made other certain purchases. I said no. She explained my card was being used elsewhere. I will never use any card at La Sirena again. I purchased a lot of things at a ferrateria before that call and they also called me then to ensure it was me using the card. Excellent service. I highly recommend Banco St Cruz.

pkaide1

Bronze
Aug 10, 2005

I will say it again. For any circumstance do not use your Credit card in Dominican Republic. There is a big mafia behind the scene reproducing them. Just be aware.

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006

kjdrga

Mar 25, 2002
Just fell victim to a clone of some sort :pirate:....used the debit card at an ATM on Monday and today someone withdrew $5000 pesos on the card while it was in our wallets....so off to file a claim with Wachovia. Luckily I monitor the bank account daily AND we only use this bank as our "fun money" and not our entire life savings...

We can only suspect that someone had a camera or a electronic device that captures the numbers and then fabricated a plastic card...silly thing is they only used it a couple of barrios away.

Never had problems with the ATM before it's part of the BHD bank, but I think it's located on the outside of the bank and not inside.

Kali