facebook - you know you live in the DR when

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
This is a new Group on facebook - You know you've lived in the Dominican Republic when...
1. You use words like vaina, chin, and jevi as a part of essential vocabulary, and don't care if other people don't know what you're talking about.
2. you've been waken up by the aguacate man.
3. you fear the dreaded news "se fue la luz..."
4. ...because you've showered with a bucket when there's no water.
5. you love the bandera. and pica pollo.
6. Brugal and Presidente did, do and will always make you happy.
7. You befriended or were friends with people who befriended street kids, street people, or schitzo street crazies.
8. e' pa' adelante que vamo'!
9. mofongo mix makes your mouth water.
10. you've contracted some sort of amoeba or parasite.
11. the sight of a white belt makes you snicker.
12. you still find yourself checking your outfit and accessories to make sure you match, down to the color of your earrings.
13. you are familiar with the term "sankipanki" and have either done it or had it done to you.
14. you loved having an inversor, or wish you had one.
15. you don't think it's unnatural to sing while traveling on public transportation, and think its weird when buses don't have the radio on full blast.
16. you know at least the basics of merengue and bachata and can burst into song of many random merengue, bachata, salsa, and reggaeton hits.
17. entonce mamita a que tu quieres a new group on facebook. Some of the replies are:
9. if you're a girl, you remember mentally prepping yourself before leaving the house to prepare for a barrage of piropos.
20... piropos have made you either extremely uncomfortable, oddly pleased with yourself, or made you burst out laughing.
21. you classify yourself as: rubio/a (even if you're not blonde), india, morena, or one of those crazy inbetween tones because dominicans just love to define race, but never, ever call themselves negros.
22. you've rode in the back of a pickup truck.
23. you've driven or been driven on the malecon in the middle of the night or coming home at 6am.
24. the colmado is the center of the universe and you desperately miss being able to get dulce de leche and limon chips and presidente at any hour.
25. you love the MOTOCONCHO.
26.you have spent a good part of your dominican social life seated in a plastic chair on the street.
27. you could always say, "i'm out of minutes" if you didn't want to call back one of your dominican stalkers. but you could always go to the colmado for a new tarjeta to call your papi.
28. you've used the "viper" method to communicate.
29. you miss the yelling cobradores on bolivar and independencia, especially the boca chica guy.
30. BON!
31. you've eaten, and enjoy, chivo. mmm.

Not that any of these ever apply to me!!!!!

Matilda

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Great stuff, Matilda.

And I just love this one -"47. traffic laws are purely optional, and honking at intersections at night is much more common that stopping at lights."

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Mat... is that a real group on facebook how can i join ???????

If you are reallllllly nice to Matilda, she will invite you ;).

I recall her mentioning it is on Facebook...I am Facebook-less so dont know firsthand.

It really is funny...even for some who dont live in DR...can certainly relate and appreciate the humour.:cheeky:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Oh dear - I really am no good on Facebook and don't use it very much. The group is called "You know you've lived in the Dominican Republic", but I'm not sure a search will reveal it???!! If not, it appears that those who are members can invite others to join, either by email or as they are your friends on facebook. So if you can't find it then pm me your email and I will invite you - can't think of any other solution.!!!

Matilda

Aug 21, 2007
It's an open group. Anyone can join. I simply copied and pasted "You know you've lived in the Dominican Republic" in the search space on Facebook. The page came up and then I was asked whether I wanted to join the group. One more click, and voila- I was a member.

Lindsey

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
~~~When you've rented a washing machine
!!! When you stop in the fast lane to ask directions of someone over in the far left sidewalk!!
~~~When you have been to a "velorio" and a cockfight on the same day
~~~When you realize that the beggar you always gave $5 pesos to has a better car than you do!!

And the list goes on!!!

HB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Such a funny thread, thanks!

Here's a couple:

1. You catch yourself watching Sabado De Corporan or 9x9, etc.
2. You won't eat moro w/o aguacate or salad.
3. You merge in your car w/o looking but waiting for a horn to beep.
4. If you have a bike and people try to flag you down for a ride.
5. You think mashed potatoes and fried porkchops make a good b'fast.
6. You prefer the 8 oz sodas because too much damages the kidneys.
7. If you go to the beach and it is especially hot, you stay in the shade or if you go out in the sun you keep a tshirt and hat on, even if swimming.
8. You like it when perfect strangers greet you with good afternoon.
9. You actually know your neighbors and say hi to them whenever possible.
10. Instead of hiding from acquaintances in the supermecado, you hunt them down or they you and have a nice conversation.
11. Little kids are too be greeted too, and they always smile back.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
or,

1) some juice and a pan de agua for breakfast
2) some fried salami and platano or tostones for cena
3) and on Saturday night, in your house and from all of the neighbors houses, you can hear "Sabado Gigante" on the TVs