5 Scams Foolish Tourists Always Fall For

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I feel so good

and so superior

in all my years of travel i only had two of them

once a cabbie in Mexico said he could not find the hotel where i had the reservation, took me to another, then when i came downstairs in a few minutes, i saw him at the front desk collecting his money from the clerk

and here in the DR when I was stupid enough to change money on the street and got ripped off

pretty good for all these years...

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
and here in the DR when I was stupid enough to change money on the street and got ripped off

How did you get ripped off ? I very occasionally change money on the street but very small amount and only once or twice in a trip (so far so good)....

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
trying to remember

How did you get ripped off ? I very occasionally change money on the street but very small amount and only once or twice in a trip (so far so good)....

it was a few years ago... and i think there were ten peso notes or something like that..that were the same color as another note? I changed $100 US and he did this sort of flash show with lots of bills and when I got home found that I have about $20... felt pretty stupid, ran out to the street, talked to a cop who went looking for him with me and said, hey, look, these guys NEVER work with a casa de cambio.. ALWAYS go to a bank or inside a casa de cambio to change your money. He was right.

I do not think those bills are in circulation any more.. think there were 10 and 20 pesos bills then but how the lowest bill seems to be 50 pesos, am I right?

Anyway, I just think that it is a bad idea in general to pull your wallet out on the street anywhere here.

Radel

Mar 3, 2008
and so superior

Those people are crooks, NEVER change money in the streets, NEVER buy anything from the streets, especially those peanut bags where they blow their hot stinking breath in the bag, and for those who have bought a skim-ice from the haitians, you don't want to know what else they use those scissors for....

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Those people are crooks, NEVER change money in the streets, NEVER buy anything from the streets, especially those peanut bags where they blow their hot stinking breath in the bag, and for those who have bought a skim-ice from the haitians, you don't want to know what else they use those scissors for....

That's a lot of bull my friend.

Last edited:
Reactions: bienamor