Norplant? Food for Thought? [long post]

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Essentially, Norplant is about ? the size of a ?book? of American match sticks; it is inserted by a gynecologist in the upper, inner arm of a woman who has not yet entered menopause. Once on place, it will prevent all contraception / pregnancy by the particular woman/ patient. It is effective for 18 months; then a new Norplant must be inserted; the old Norplant need not be removed, but should be. It is nearly foolproof for 18 months; it will not prevent AIDs nor any venereal disease.

Food for thought? Why? Would it not clearly improve the lot of the common DR, primarily but not exclusively young females, in the 21st century if:
a. Norplant was inserted by a gynecologist in the arm of every 14 year old girl upon attaining 14; then a new 1 implanted in 18 months, etc.; until age 25.
b. Why would she do it / want it? Each such young girl would receive 1,000 pesos, tax free when a new Norplant was inserted.
c. The mother of each such young girl / Norplant patient would receive 2,000 Pesos each time her daughter received a Norplant. Her father? Zero!
d. Would this reduce, perhaps eliminate unwanted pregnancies among the very young? Meaning those girls being less than 21 years old. Obviously, Yes!
e. Undesirable side effects? Possible? Yes. Probable? Difficult to predict. Certainly possible. Has the ?law of unintended consequences? been adopted by the DR Congress? Yes! A century ago. Perhaps 2.
f. F. Would the medical profession approve? Would the Roman Catholic Church approve?
g. Should not UNESCO, USAID, the DR government, or some such finance such a project? Perhaps with the endorsement of DR1?
Food for thought?

Reactions: windeguy

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
You are assuming that all 14 year old girls have sex - they don't
The Catholic Church is against all forms of birth Control.
What are the long term health effects?
Yes for the money many girls would do it -why money to the mother - no money to either the mother or father. Make it 14 years old with mothers permission and 16 without.
It would have to be totally voluntarily.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
5 years

Actually it is effective for 5 years. In some countries it is used regularly by organizations like planned parenthood in poorer neighborhoods.

Bob K

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Even without considering the problems this would create with the Church, making contraception available or enforced contraception for that matter will not work in isolation.

Birth rates go down when education and/or affluence increases. This has been demonstrated even in the DR where the average number of births per woman has declined noticeably in the last couple of generations.

Nonetheless, the rate of underage pregnancies in barrios and campos (precisely where there is least education and affluence) is at crisis levels. Education and prospects, improved self esteem, role models of women who have got an education and a career before having babies and the availability of contraception are all crucial to this.

This is merely anecdotal, but youth group members I've spoken to in rural areas report a marked decrease in teenage pregnancies as a result of participation in their activities, which involve vocational training, self esteem and generally broadening their horizons.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Totally agree with Chirimoya. Education, and self-esteem are the keys to lowering teenage pregnancy rates, especially self-esteem.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
women in DR use contraception, all of them. the most popular method by far is called "god's mercy" - will they get preggers or will they not?
other method is sterilisation - many women who already have kids (usually 3 or more) will "take everything out".
western types of contraception such as pills, IUD, plasters and what-not are not so popular.

i had a barrio fellow coming to farmacia the other day in the search of birth control pills for his woman. he was really upset to hear they cost a bit over 150 pesos for a box (hell, it's three frias, man!) and he got even more crazy when we refused to sell one single pill. :ermm:

gringosabroso

Oct 16, 2004
Norplant? Enforced sterilization?

I'm lost!! How can my Norplant suggestions possibly be 'enforced sterilization' when the girl, 14 or older, & her mother are both willing participants? Does "enforced" have some different meaning in the DR?
* Norplant? Term of effectiveness? I'm told by an 'expert' that Norplant used to be effective for 5 years; the present version will 'work' for 18 mos.
* The Roman Catholic Church? Does the Church have realisticly veto power over all practices & policies of the DR Gov't? Of NGOs? In the DR? Is Barak Obama aware of this?
* What are the stands of the Church on prostitution? Human trafficking? Effectiveness of the Church policies?
* Foods for thought. Don't give up. There is hope!

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
women in DR use contraception, all of them. the most popular method by far is called "god's mercy" - will they get preggers or will they not?
other method is sterilisation - many women who already have kids (usually 3 or more) will "take everything out".
western types of contraception such as pills, IUD, plasters and what-not are not so popular.

i had a barrio fellow coming to farmacia the other day in the search of birth control pills for his woman. he was really upset to hear they cost a bit over 150 pesos for a box (hell, it's three frias, man!) and he got even more crazy when we refused to sell one single pill. :ermm:

Why would you refuse to sell him a pill?

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Why Norplant and not an IUD?

First, just in case someone actually didn't get why you can't sell someone just one birth control pill....
You are not protected from getting pregnant immediately upon, or the day after, taking the pill. For example, you can't buy a pill and take it one morning because you think you might have unprotected sex that night. You must take the pill DAILY and at approximately the same time every day consistently for a 1 week, 2 to be extra safe, to be covered. If you forget a day, the next day you take one in the morning and one in the evening. Another myth I have heard here in the DR is that there is a weekly or monthly pill (not true). They come in month-sized packs for a reason. Read the directions, ask someone who knows if you have questions, communicate with your partner(s).

Also, I didn't think you could just sell birth control pills to someone without a prescription from a doctor, since there are certain problems that could result such as blood clots and cervical cancer.

I have seen birth control pills for like RD $90. If some guy wants to complain about that or even it they cost more, ask them how much it would cost them to keep a kid in Milex and Pampers...

As far as I am aware, birth control pills, condoms and "the shot" (lasts 3 months) are available for FREE in even rural public clinics. I know women (and men) that take advantage of that. Even teens, with or without the knowledge of their parents, get pills, condoms and/or shots. Condoms are not taboo here. Walk in any colmado with 6 pesos and ask for a gorrita, and you're good to go.

There are some great educational initiatives going on out there. The biggest and best that I am aware of is called "Escojo" and the Peace Corps. Here is the link that talks about it: Peace Corps in Dominican Republic | Projects | --Escojo Mi Vida
You can get an educational manual to teach Dominican youth (or yourself!) about HIV, STIs, birth control, etc. off the site and even some educational hip-hop music too. They have a newer manual than the one up so contact Peace Corps and I'm sure they'd get a copy to you.

I think the general gist of this thread is interesting, and could generate some interesting thoughts and debate if it were steered toward POPULATION CONTROL IN THE DR instead of just the specific Norplant proposition.

I don't think any progressive population control initiative going over here for all the reasons already mentioned (church, government). But if most of the population is "Catholic", then what are they doing using so much birth control in the first place? :cheeky:

As far the original proposal, I think IUDs would be better than Norplant. They don't involve any cutting open, just a quick vaginal insertion (or removal) and last up to 10 years. I think an economic incentive could be key for this type of program to be successful here if, say, some non-profit decided to sponsor it. But it should be more than RD$ 1,000. Also give the incentive per year the girl/woman participates, and/or instead of cash it can only be used as a scholarship to pay university or vocational school expenses?

IUD - Planned Parenthood

I can't even imagine the government allowing that kind of program to go on here, even if they have nothing to do with it.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
surely, sir, that must be a jest? :paranoid:
pills are sold in packages for a reason - this allows woman to control intake and make sure she did not skip one pill. some types of pill like triquilar use combination of hormones and therefore have 3 different pills to be taken depending on the cycle.
in any case - birth control along with few other medicines is never sold by a pill...

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
surely, sir, that must be a jest? :paranoid:
pills are sold in packages for a reason - this allows woman to control intake and make sure she did not skip one pill. some types of pill like triquilar use combination of hormones and therefore have 3 different pills to be taken depending on the cycle.
in any case - birth control along with few other medicines is never sold by a pill...

Yes dv8 you are absolutely right, I thought he was buying the whole package, we Dominicans call the whole package "la pastilla". Minerva also clarified that. A misunderstanding.

dominicanlou

Jul 30, 2009
why the interest in giving birth control to others? especially such young girls? like others said, this will not fly:

1. not all girls are promiscuous.

2. norplant can cause severe hormonal imbalances (i know several dominican women who had it taken it out because it wreaked havoc on their bodies)

3. there is much stigma attached to even taking a young girl for an ob/gyn examination, for fear of penetration w/medical equipment and loss of virginity

4. there is even more stigma attached to giving young unmarried girls contraception. its seen as giving them a "green light" to do the wrong thing.

5. what you suggest wouldnt work in even the most developed countries. what makes you think it will fly in the DR?

6. why does it bother you that people whom you have no relation to and whos bills are not of your concern, may have children out of wedlock? i would understand if it was your tax dollars supporting them but thats simply not the case in the DR so what gives?

live and let live. let women and their families decide what they will do with their own bodies and lives. its not your place to even suggest dictating that.