Charity Fraud

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Kiva, the microfinance organisation, has closed its relationship with its DR field partner Fundaci?n San Miguel Arc?ngel, Inc. according to an item on the Kiva website. 'In early 2009, Fundaci?n San Miguel Arc?ngel's executive team uncovered a far-reaching internal fraud that cost the foundation heavy losses in terms of their portfolio, earnings and borrower confidence. The perpetrators of the fraud have been fired and the current management has spent much of the past six months trying recover from the heavy hit they sustained as an institution. In late July 2009, Kiva received a letter from FSMA stating their intention to wind-down their portfolio and cease operations. In the letter they stated that they are unable to continue to operate due to the losses they have sustained. As such, in the next few months they will take the necessary steps to execute a cessation of operations.........The internal fraud suffered by FSMA affected not only their ability to repay their creditors (including Kiva lenders), but also their ability to track with certainty the amounts disbursed and repaid by their borrowers.' Please read:
Kiva - Dominican Republic > Fundaci?n San Miguel Arc?ngel, Inc. (FSMA)

Comments from some of the lenders here:
Kiva - Loans that change lives

I learned about this from someone who lends money to Kiva for DR projects (he isn't a DR1 poster otherwise he could report this himself). His first notification was that one of his loans had gone into default. Since the woman concerned had already paid 5/6ths of the loan on time he thought this was strange - further investigation revealed it was not the fault of the borrower but of management in the field partner organisation, FMSA, who had committed a fraud.

It should be noted that this in NO way reflects either on the borrowers (groups of Dominican women in micro-entrepreneurial enterprises) or on the other field partner which Kiva uses in the DR, although doubtless there will be some unfortunate fallout.

You'll see from the links above that this first came to light several months ago. I have yet to read anything about this in the DR newspapers (although I could have missed it) & more troubling is that if you go to FMSA's website there is no information about this:
Fundacion San Miguel Arcangel

Personally, I'm a believer in micro-entrepreneurial loans & Kiva has a great repayment record with very few defaulting. But, when one of their field partners falls down on the job, then people need to know about it, so that they are fully informed. Many of the people who loan to DR groups are frequent visitors to the DR, like the person who informed me.

I checked with a Mod. before posting this, but it didn't feel right to sit on it.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
thanks for the info. thats a $500,000 US fraud. I hope some people go to jail. and now it will be harder to get DR microfinance via kiva.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
$593,750 was the total amount loaned via that field partner, according to the Kiva website; the person notifying me said to apply the 29% default rate for the approx amount defrauded i.e. just under $200,000. I can't access his emails right now because they are all locked in my dead computer but whatever the amount, it is considerable and not good news that this was done by people at a trusted charitable organisation. He, too, was of the same mind as you, Adrian, that those responsible should be imprisoned. As yet, I have seen nothing in the papers - not sure whether this means that process is taking a while or whether there is an attempt to hush it up or what. One of the reasons for posting, apart from warning potential lenders, is that with all the people reading DR1, it is possible that someone will know the organisation & be able to verify whether they have fired staff.

Here for example is another loan that ended in loss of US$1000 - perfectly possible these women paid back but the funds were defrauded by someone back at the office
Kiva - Celenia Mendoza Soriano's Group
That's the other highly unfortunate thing about this - it has obviously produced confusion & possibly unfairly blaming recipients.

The other field partner has an office in PP & BushBaby has visited it as I reported here 17 months ago - post 56:
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/73990-question-all-expats-6.html#post627519

So having put the good news up then, I feel obliged to post the bad news also.

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
That's too bad, but I'm not surprised. Thanks for posting it. I think there are a few people on here who like to hear news related to non-profits and development. It really should be in the press, but then again look at how much corruption goes on at all levels that no one bothers to bat an eye at anymore because it is so common. Since Kiva is so well known, you think someone would want to blow the lid off of it...(cough...DR journalists out there?). But then again, in doing that and making public such a scandal with such a well known organization could shake the confidence of others to work in the DR. Which wouldn't be in the interest of the country's pa' lante development image. Maybe that's what needs to be done anyway?

I would like to know what exactly went wrong with the Fundacion. I hope there is an investigation and that someone pays up. Some admin worker probably got a jipeta out of the deal, while the borrowers got screwed.

bearcat

Nov 12, 2008
I believe in micro loans and am very sad, disappointed but not surprised

We came here to export tobacco products and to build altertive energy projects and had planned to invest in microloan through this progam to help people help themselves but that can not be done now.

I have been scammed in the time that I have been here and for the life of me I can not understand the mind set. Everyone who scammed me "lost". They lost the real possiblity of being financially independant for "quick money".

It is a mind set that I do not understand and more important do not have time to try to understand. I have heard all the BS reasons i.e. we are poor people, we have no money and etc..

I was once poor but what made me money was intergity. Simple as that.

However in this forum it is akind to the preacher talking to the choir.

Bearcat

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Some admin worker probably got a jipeta out of the deal, while the borrowers got screwed.

According to the note on the Kiva website linked above, under heading Special notice on FSMA from Kiva Staff on February 13, 2009:
'In late December, FSMA's management team notified Kiva of an internal fraud that occurred at a high level in the organization.' (emboldening mine). So whether this was an admin worker or someone higher than that in organisational terms, I'm not sure. The other reference just above that says 'The internal fraud perpetrated by former members of FMSA?s senior management team' - again emboldening mine. Again, near the top of the Kiva page 'The perpetrators of the fraud have been fired and the current management has spent much of the past six months trying recover from the heavy hit they sustained as an institution' (emboldening mine).

Putting all those together, this looks like it was the previous management of this Fundacion.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
People are the same the world over, ie there are scammers everywhere. However, here in the DR with it's lax legal system they can many times flourish w/o fear of repercussion. They may think they get away with it even if they aren't charged or "escape" to NY. Wrong, they are only delaying the inevitable accounting of their actions. That will be a mighty big wake up call for sure.

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
The last email I received from Kiva, Aug 21st, basically said what's already been said here, the loan to these women is now considered defaulted and will not be repaid. I lost 25 USD, no big deal, I can survive that. My previous Kiva loan was paid back in total on time, and the 25 USD that was paid back has now gone to people in Peru, since Kiva's field partner in the DR screwed up. Too bad.

Last edited:

tht

Master of my own fate.
Oct 10, 2002
Planet Earth
OK I see. I checked up a while ago when the FSMA problem started to surface, I couldn’t find anything from the DR, just a temporary thing I guess, or I simply missed it.