Venting again...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I have read so many posts on here regarding the trials and tribulations of the VISA process for spouses, boyfriends, and families yet here today is my 3rd Dominicana patient in the last 6 days who is here in NYC to have her baby and then go back to DR in the next 2 months.
This pi$$es me off, and now I am wondering what these women are doing that they apparently have no problem getting VISAs to come over here and drop a baby so it can be American and leave me and the rest of us taxpayers to pay for their labor/hospital bill.
These are NOT rich people, I can guarantee you...so what is it that is getting them a VISA? Doesn't immigration see a "baby drop" scam when they see one? Do I need to apply for a job in Immigration?
I am so sick of this and so are my co-workers. This persons family apparently doesn't even have enough money to buy lunch, how the hell are they getting VISAs to get over here to have a baby and go back. And say it with such pride..."No, Mi Amor, en 8 semanas me voy de aqui........Estoy aqui solamente para parir"
This government needs help.
SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I feel so sad for you guys who are actually in loving relationships trying to get your spouse to the US and having to wait because these ladies apparently are hogging up all of the VISAs.
SHALENA

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
It is funny how every expat goes and lives in the DR as they please, overstays their DR visa, apply for residency with no problem and nobody complains about them, but when a Dominican does the same in their countries they cry foul. If you want to have it, have it both ways.

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
It is funny how every expat goes and lives in the DR as they please, overstays their DR visa, apply for residency with no problem and nobody complains about them, but when a Dominican does the same in their countries they cry foul. If you want to have it, have it both ways.

Well I guess the difference is that most expats dont move to the DR with the premise of obtaining Dominican citizenship and there may not be any real financial gain. Also consider that these expats are paying taxes on income in their homes countries, irrespective of where they reside.

As a taxpayer, it doesnt feel great to sibsidize the healthcare of the "non-contributors", foreign or otherwise.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Well I guess the difference is that most expats dont move to the DR with the premise of obtaining Dominican citizenship and there may not be any real financial gain. Also consider that these expats are paying taxes on income in their homes countries, irrespective of where they reside.

As a taxpayer, it doesnt feel great to sibsidize the healthcare of the "non-contributors", foreign or otherwise.

They are still residing in the DR, not longer being tourist, but living and working in the DR, i know Sking case is not that one, but there are a lot of those cases in the DR, not that I find anything wrong with that as long as the services they provide in the DR is a good one. Visa holders aren't your tipical yolero who entered the US illegally. They most likely have money in the DR, and only give birth in the USA to give their children the choice of where to live when he grows up, not for the milk and diapers they could get in their toddler years. How do you think the vast Dominican community in NY got there in the first place?? As I said if you want to have it, have it both ways.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007

Which one has applied for Residency? NONE...they are here solely for gaining citizenship for a baby that wasn't even conceived here. They leave us to pay the bills because ALL are clinic pts with emergency Medicaid because they are pregnant, receive WIC because they are pregnant. Who do you think is paying for all of this?
NOT ONE DOMINICAN in DR pays for me, my children, my house, or my food...that is the difference. We arrived legally and are in a legal process for residency, I have not asked Leonel to pay for ANYTHING of mine. I am contributing not taking.
If they are lucky enough to get a VISA, let whoever sponsored them pay their bills instead of taking them straight from the plane to the Social Services office.
SHALENA

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
What kind of status does that woman have? Immigration is neither easy nor cheap for those who come to the US. It takes a very long time and a lot of trouble. I am not sure what kind of status that woman has, but it is definitely is NOT an easy thing to do to immigrate to the US and have a child here.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The "Ex-pats" USUALLY are not on the Dominican Welfare system and are paying their own way, not getting Government handouts. And they are usally spending a lot of American dollars here in the D.R.

Right, lets have it both ways, make the DEAD BEATS pay or don't treat them.

Then you will really hear "foul".
You can't do that in the Good Ole U.S. of A.

Give me free health care here in the D.R., I'm an illegal alien !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have not heard that from any ex-pats in the D.R. that I know of.

Try telling a Dominican Clinic you have no money to pay, they will let you die first.

Americano Don

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Which one has applied for Residency? NONE...they are here solely for gaining citizenship for a baby that wasn't even conceived here. They leave us to pay the bills because ALL are clinic pts with emergency Medicaid because they are pregnant, receive WIC because they are pregnant. Who do you think is paying for all of this?
NOT ONE DOMINICAN in DR pays for me, my children, my house, or my food...that is the difference. We arrived legally and are in a legal process for residency, I have not asked Leonel to pay for ANYTHING of mine. I am contributing not taking.
If they are lucky enough to get a VISA, let whoever sponsored them pay their bills instead of taking them straight from the plane to the Social Services office.
SHALENA

You see them getting WIC? You see them getting wellfare?? those children's once born return to the DR to be raised, I have known several families with more money that you can imagine doing that same thing, the only reason is to give their children a choice when they grow up where do they want to make their lives.

I have notice that you are really against Dominican immigration to the USA Sking, and I think that is a bit hypocritical having in mind you live in Santiago, in the DR. That 'I can get into your country, even live there, but I'll be really mad if you do the same in my country" attitude is really disturbing, well at least for me. I know not everybody will agree with me because this is an ex-pat forum but start thinking how Dominicans who live in the USA got there in the first place, the ones you chit chat with in NY or even the ones who post in DR1, they may have been sponsored by a family member, but that family member had to get a way to get in USA in the first place.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I have no idea of their status. I do not know if the one that I have today is wealthy or not in the DR...if she is, she plays poor really well!
I do not object to them getting their VISAs, ok? All I want is for their sponsors to pay their bills...no one without a Social Security number should be receiving Medicaid or WIC. Period...no one without a SS# should be receiving food stamps. No one here on any kind of VISA should be getting any sort of Social Services. Period.
The majority of them come here and end up getting C-Sections because they had their other babies by C/S in the DR, so they don't want to a vaginal birth to mess up their "twat", then us taxpayers end up paying for their hospital bill and 2-3months later they go back to the Capital (all that I have had are from the Capital) with their American baby after their free C-Section. With a suitcase full of Similac infant formula because they're getting WIC
SHALENA

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
more than 60% of the people who use our hospitals in the borders are from haiti. thousands and thousands of haitians come every year here to have their baby. We have to pay for them, and americans say nothing.
Now, we have 3 dominican women in USA having their baby and you are crying.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
The "Ex-pats" USUALLY are not on the Dominican Welfare system and are paying their own way, not getting Government handouts. And they are usally spending a lot of American dollars here in the D.R.

Right, lets have it both ways, make the DEAD BEATS pay or don't treat them.

Then you will really hear "foul".
You can't do that in the Good Ole U.S. of A.

Give me free health care here in the D.R., I'm an illegal alien !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have not heard that from any ex-pats in the D.R. that I know of.

Try telling a Dominican Clinic you have no money to pay, they will let you die first.

Americano Don

Exactly my point, because you have money you think you can live in the DR indefinitely, but if a rich Dominican guy tries to do that in the USA with a B-2 Visa you cry foul. Have it both way papa. Some years ago I was in the USA with a visa and had to go to the doctor for a health problem, paid the consult, paid the blood test and paid for my medicine, everything rounded up at US$500 and neither you or any US taxpayer had to pick the tab for me.

There are countless Dominican families who goes to the US specifically Cleveland to get treatment for heart diseases, my uncle being one of them, bringing lots of dollars to the USA economy, paying their bills (usually exceeding US$30,000) to then go back to the DR. But you guys don't look at that or prefer to not look at that, because it irks you that a Dominican is giving birth in your country, it irks you that a Dominican someday have the thought of immigrating to the USA. I wonder what would you think if Dominicans suddenly starts getting irked by the thought of expats emigrating to the DR.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
You see them getting WIC? You see them getting wellfare?? those children's once born return to the DR to be raised, I have known several families with more money that you can imagine doing that same thing, the only reason is to give their children a choice when they grow up where do they want to make their lives.

I have notice that you are really against Dominican immigration to the USA Sking, and I think that is a bit hypocritical having in mind you live in Santiago, in the DR. That 'I can get into your country, even live there, but I'll be really mad if you do the same in my country" attitude is really disturbing, well at least for me. I know not everybody will agree with me because this is an ex-pat forum but start thinking how Dominicans who live in the USA got there in the first place, the ones you chit chat with in NY or even the ones who post in DR1, they may have been sponsored by a family member, but that family member had to get a way to get in USA in the first place.
You are totally misunderstanding me. I have MANY Dominican friends here in NYC and in NC that have immigrated, even at an older age but you know what? They WORK, they pay thier bills.
I am a Registered Nurse, so honey when I get a pt...I know their insurance and because I work in Labor and Delivery, I know whether they get Medicaid, Food Stamps, or WIC. I would not have posted this thread if they were private insurance patients. I PAY FOR MEDICAID, AMERICANS PAY FOR MEDICAID...and I just feel that if you are sponsored to be here "visiting", you should not be getting free health care, infant formula, or food....period. If your sponsor can't pay for you, you shouldn't be here.
These people give me a headache, thank God this is my last workday and I will be in Santiago in the early AM...
SHALENA

Do you know what they would say to me at HOMS if I showed up pregnant and told them I had no insurance and expected top notch medical care, and also some infant formula, and a debit card to buy food for the length of my stay in DR?:surprised

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
more than 60% of the people who use our hospitals in the borders are from haiti. thousands and thousands of haitians come every year here to have their baby. We have to pay for them, and americans say nothing.

Soory. Just so happens that the 3 I have had (this week) are Dominican, solely by chance. I would be saying the same thing if they were Mexican, Haitian, French, Swiss, whatever...
BTW, those Haitians don't get Dominican birth certificates. Which is an act I totally support. Maybe if WE stopped giving birth certificates to these types of people we could nip this situation in the bud. I am a full believer in no social services to illegals, whether it be food, insurance, public school, whatever. I call it like I see it...because if they REALLY came out here for a better life to send money home to their families and other kids, they wouldn't be dropping babies they can't afford.
SHALENA

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006

To then have USA government officials jodiendo la paciencia and pressuring us to take care about that situation. They only see what they want to see Johnny.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Exactly my point, because you have money you think you can live in the DR indefinitely, but if a rich Dominican guy tries to do that in the USA with a B-2 Visa you cry foul. Have it both way papa. Some years ago I was in the USA with a visa and had to go to the doctor for a health problem, paid the consult, paid the blood test and paid for my medicine, everything rounded up at US$500 and neither you or any US taxpayer had to pick the tab for me.

There are countless Dominican families who goes to the US specifically Cleveland to get treatment for heart diseases, my uncle being one of them, bringing lots of dollars to the USA economy, paying their bills (usually exceeding US$30,000) to then go back to the DR. But you guys don't look at that or prefer to not look at that, because it irks you that a Dominican is giving birth in your country, it irks you that a Dominican someday have the thought of immigrating to the USA. I wonder what would you think if Dominicans suddenly starts getting irked by the thought of expats emigrating to the DR.
You obviously don't understand my post...praise be to God for those who come here and pay their bills, I am NOT TALKING ABOUT THEM.
SHALENA

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I know that there are people that lie and get around the system. But it is NOT easy. I have my Mother living with me, senior citizen. I am paying her medical bills. I only called Social Security office once to ask about possibility of getting some sort of state sponsored insurance for her (regular insurance is very expensive at her age). They sent someone to my house to check on what it is going on right the next day and advised me to just send her home because she will not be able to get any kind of support from the state here.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
ExtremeR, great job of trying to change the focus of the thread.

No one said anything about the many Dominicans you so aptly mentioned in your post.

We are talking about the dead beats that strictly go for the "FREE" medical care and screw the Americans attitude.

Both myself and SKing, I'm sure, have no problems with Dominicans or ANY nationality immigrating to the U.S. LEGALLY.

Try sticking to the facts of the thread instead of manipulating it to fit your agenda.
You are so far off base and off topic.
Some people play the "Race Card", people like you play the "Immigration Card".
Same old story, different day.

You appear to be the prejudice one!

REPEAT: Myself and SKing are NOT against LEGAL immigration from ANY nationality.

Don

minerva_feliz

May 4, 2009
Hate the player, not the game?

For someone to get a visa through a family member to the U.S., they have to have a sponsor (or sponsors) sign the I-864 affidavit of support.

Affidavit of Support Forms (I-864 series forms) - Frequently Asked Questions

If the person uses "federal means tested public benefits" such as:
Food stamps
Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
Medicaid
Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
State Child Health Insurance Program (CHIP)

then the sponsor(s) can be sued by the federal or state government and forced to repay.

However, there are some programs that are not considered "federal means tested public benefits", and do not have to be repaid.

Emergency Medicaid
School lunches
Immunizations and treatment for communicable diseases
Student assistance to attend colleges and institutions of higher learning
Some kinds of foster care or adoption assistance
Job training programs
Head start
Short-term, non-cash emergency relief

So if they have a visa through a relative, either these women fall into the latter, or eventually their sponsor will get sued.

If they have some other kind of visa like a visitor's one, because they were deemed to have sufficient income in the DR, they must be eligible for and using some of the latter "emergency" programs.

I think these programs are good and most who use them are honest people in need. As with everything legal and "welfare"-related, there are loopholes and those who take advantage. But don't a few rotten apples convince you that the programs and rules don't have their reasons and merits.

I'm glad that at least people who need help can get it, even if a few others take advantage. At least they can. It probably sucks to be a Haitian woman (legal or illegal) trying to claim those same benefits here in the DR, if they even exist on paper at all (I don't know).

Status
Not open for further replies.