leonel in POP

Status
Not open for further replies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
ok, there is a good side to it - we have power all day :)
but i do not do "good news" threads so here is my little vent:
i am at home in costambar, relaxing with a cup of green tea and terry pratchet's book. all of a sudden i hear the sound of a helicopter. no problem there, those dudes from hacienda fly above all day long. the noise, however, grew louder and louder so i got to the window just in time to see shadows of choppers move on grass. four helicopters flying very low. ok, i get it, loeonel is in town.
now the choppers keep on patrolling the area (is this bastard somewhere is costambar or cofresi?) and they keep on passing above our house time and again. i mean - wtf? loeonel is just a cacique of some unimportant third world country after all, why all the fuss?
and the noise is in a way of my afternoon nap, i tell ya. :tired:

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
zona franca

they have flown over us here to several times and we can see 3 jets flying in formation probably at the malecon! Such a bunch of waste!!! And the kids are out of school on top of it All!!!

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
I just came from the malecon. Each school in Puerto Plata was to have 40 students march down the malecon with their band, all for Leonel. Of course he was over 3 hours late. All the poor students stand in the street, not to mention the hundreds of military men. What is the point of all this? So Leonel can feel all good about himself? I didn't stay to hear his speech but I'm sure he didn't give an apology for his being extremely late. He should have some respect for his people, but obviously doesn't.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
It's precisely because he is the "cacique of some unimportant third world country" that he feels the need for all this excess. Otherwise he would be content to roll up in a mid-range official vehicle with a couple of aides and a bodyguard.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
ok, there is a good side to it - we have power all day :)
but i do not do "good news" threads so here is my little vent:
i am at home in costambar, relaxing with a cup of green tea and terry pratchet's book. all of a sudden i hear the sound of a helicopter. no problem there, those dudes from hacienda fly above all day long. the noise, however, grew louder and louder so i got to the window just in time to see shadows of choppers move on grass. four helicopters flying very low. ok, i get it, loeonel is in town.
now the choppers keep on patrolling the area (is this bastard somewhere is costambar or cofresi?) and they keep on passing above our house time and again. i mean - wtf? loeonel is just a cacique of some unimportant third world country after all, why all the fuss?
and the noise is in a way of my afternoon nap, i tell ya. :tired:

Green tea is supposed to give you longevity, concentration power, vitality, low cholesterol, low blood pressure, make you smarter, but this idiot can't even spell right the last name of the author of the book he's reading, it's Pratchett.

I guess you're smoking the tea instead of drinking it.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Green tea is supposed to give you longevity, concentration power, vitality, low cholesterol, low blood pressure, make you smarter, but this idiot can't even spell right the last name of the author of the book he's reading, it's Pratchett.

I guess you're smoking the tea instead of drinking it.

You should try some, perhaps you'll develop better grammar?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
gee, my fault, that. but i think "pratchet" himself would not mind, would he?
i never seem to get the name right despite reading all his books :)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
If it was the president of the USA, the student and Miltary would out there, same with the helicopters- why should it be any different for the president of the DR.

Vacara - dv8 is a woman and English is not her first language, so if she spells the name of the book's author it's no biggy, after all she's only missing the second t, a common enough mistake.

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Of course he was over 3 hours late.

He is well know for this. When he starts throwing money and frozen chickens out of the helicopter, then we know he has switched to the PRSC and become a true political icon :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
for a moment i enjoyed the image of sweaty leonel arriving to POP in guagua, possibly standing on a step with faithful DR citizens getting full view of his firm buttocks. that would be a perfect excuse for being late, you know, guagua stops about every 5 minutes or so to pick up and leave passengers.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
If it was the president of the USA, the student and Miltary would out there, same with the helicopters- why should it be any different for the president of the DR.

Vacara - dv8 is a woman and English is not her first language, so if she spells the name of the book's author it's no biggy, after all she's only missing the second t, a common enough mistake.

I take back the idiot comment.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
One had to be really resourceful to get through PP this morning and out to Costambar - AMET everywhere, no parking anywhere on 12 de Julio, many of the roads blocked off, no possibility of parking anywhere near Post Office etc etc. Slightly more sinister in appearance were the Lynx & Swat guys (black helmets, faces invisible, weapons at the ready). I did ask 'what time is the assassination?' because that little joke cleared a path for me to get to where I was going :) (it's ok, it was said to people I know). Even buying my newspaper was difficult - AMET & I engaged in the 'there are no yellow lines here' conversation while I mouthed 'El Faro' at the guy outside the farmacia who duly delivered my paper to the car window, by which time I had started to teach the AMET guy some English - he was very sweet really.

Those 4 helicopters which disturbed you, dv8, were a formation team. Well..........3 of them were & the fourth was perpetually playing catchup. Very, very funny but probably totally unintentional. There was a 3 light aircraft formation flight - they were much better.

Yesterday the Ayuntamiento declared a municipal holiday for today - I think it was for Leonel not to see how many businesses had closed down - most of the small shops closed by lunchtime, the ones which don't normally close - so it would have been impossible for him to tell which were permanently closed due to the recession.

The road back from Costambar was blissfully empty, all the action then being on the Malecon, up Hermanas Mirabel and on to Costa Dorada. The tailback got me on Luis Ginebra, so to enter Bayardo I had to double back to 26 de Agosto.

The 'beautification' of PP started about 5 days ago - gangs working on curbs, rebuilding, repainting, central reservations of roads etc. Now we have to see whether the promised rebuilding of Gregorio Luperon's home on 12 de Julio actually happens. They have done the land clearing either side but I couldn't get near that part of 12 de Julio this morning because........they had blocked it off awaiting the President who was inaugurating the preservation works. And just in case anyone is remotely interested, the home where Gregorio Luperon was born should be a must visit for British expats. Gregorio Luperon's mum was a British expat, probably one of the earliest ones in Puerto Plata.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
One had to be really resourceful to get through PP this morning and out to Costambar - AMET everywhere, no parking anywhere on 12 de Julio, many of the roads blocked off, no possibility of parking anywhere near Post Office etc etc. Slightly more sinister in appearance were the Lynx & Swat guys (black helmets, faces invisible, weapons at the ready). I did ask 'what time is the assassination?' because that little joke cleared a path for me to get to where I was going :) (it's ok, it was said to people I know). Even buying my newspaper was difficult - AMET & I engaged in the 'there are no yellow lines here' conversation while I mouthed 'El Faro' at the guy outside the farmacia who duly delivered my paper to the car window, by which time I had started to teach the AMET guy some English - he was very sweet really.

Those 4 helicopters which disturbed you, dv8, were a formation team. Well..........3 of them were & the fourth was perpetually playing catchup. Very, very funny but probably totally unintentional. There was a 3 light aircraft formation flight - they were much better.

Yesterday the Ayuntamiento declared a municipal holiday for today - I think it was for Leonel not to see how many businesses had closed down - most of the small shops closed by lunchtime, the ones which don't normally close - so it would have been impossible for him to tell which were permanently closed due to the recession.

The road back from Costambar was blissfully empty, all the action then being on the Malecon, up Hermanas Mirabel and on to Costa Dorada. The tailback got me on Luis Ginebra, so to enter Bayardo I had to double back to 26 de Agosto.

The 'beautification' of PP started about 5 days ago - gangs working on curbs, rebuilding, repainting, central reservations of roads etc. Now we have to see whether the promised rebuilding of Gregorio Luperon's home on 12 de Julio actually happens. They have done the land clearing either side but I couldn't get near that part of 12 de Julio this morning because........they had blocked it off awaiting the President who was inaugurating the preservation works. And just in case anyone is remotely interested, the home where Gregorio Luperon was born should be a must visit for British expats. Gregorio Luperon's mum was a British expat, probably one of the earliest ones in Puerto Plata.

Maybe that's why he went to Europe -England included- and met a bunch of personalities, including Victor Hugo and the Queen Victory. His english was very good.

On a sad note, he used the woods of the north coast as his personal bank, cutting and selling tremendous amount of precious wood.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Maybe that's why he went to Europe -England included- and met a bunch of personalities, including Victor Hugo and the Queen Victory.
Queen Victory????? Which country is SHE queen of?
Did you perchance mean Queen Victoria of England?:ermm: :cheeky:

On a sad note, he used the woods of the north coast as his personal bank, cutting and selling tremendous amount of precious wood.
Do you have any more information on this subject please? I would be interested in reading about his pludering of the North Coast woodlands. ~ Grahame.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
luperon worked for dubocq when he was very young, would he have the power to make strategic decisions? i know he was a manager but still... maybe vacara is thinking about juan isidro jimenez who was a president of DR after heureaux? he was a head of a company exporting woods, wasn't he?
i thought that in times of luperon DR was exporting mainly coffee and cacao.

Vacara

I love AZB!
May 5, 2009
luperon worked for dubocq when he was very young, would he have the power to make strategic decisions? i know he was a manager but still... maybe vacara is thinking about juan isidro jimenez who was a president of DR after heureaux? he was a head of a company exporting woods, wasn't he?
i thought that in times of luperon DR was exporting mainly coffee and cacao.

I read about his plundering a good 20 years ago on a newspaper article, I tried to get more info for Lambada and the other folk but no luck. Sure there might be some true to it since he was the manager in a wood company owned by Pedro Dubocq. I read too that his mom was running a "colmado" in POP, interesting.

Here's a pic of his house, in deplorable conditions, taken in 2007.

Resize_of_House_of_Gregorio_Luperon_002.jpg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i read that luperon came from a poor family but this house does not exactly look like a shack of pobres, does it? i mean NOW it does but in general...

btw, as soon as leonel left POP se fue la luz tambien ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.