crime around Sosua

W

wanda

We are visiting Sosua area and are wondering about crime. We have been warned that pickpockets are plentiful. Also, we have been warned of police payoffs. Any helpful information for us? Thank you very much.

A

aristoba

pickpockets are indeed around
why as a tourist would you be concerned
about police payoffs.
I doubt those payoffs would endanger you.

E

Eddy

It's probably safer in Sosua at 4:00 AM than in most big cities at 4:00 PM. We had a small problem with pickpockets a couple of years ago. Women, mostly Haitians, posing as prostitutes would gang up on an unsuspecting tourist and the wallet would disappear. Since the police cracked down and incidents are few and far between. If you exercise normal caution you should have a great vacation.

R

Roberto

The only
Crime that you would find my friend
are some companies and people
who would try to rip you money off
and for that
they would told you all the possible lies
about this place

like do not go out during the evening
like don't talk to this guy don't do this don't do that
like that they can then
rip you money offering you they deferents
services

have a nice day
and wen you come by
Remember ours culture are deferent
and in sosua the Dominican that are in they are working
there is good and bad
the foreigner the same as well
I know a few good
that have being her since many years
and they wan to stay in this country
and they believe that providing a good services
to ours Tourist would help this country
and they self
but we have a few others
that just wan to make so may money possible
exploiting our people and they own in every how

they don't care if one day
the country get empty
there is others country where they can go and keep doing the same

as far for my people
even with the bad one you can all ways make good deals
with them
you have to show them that you trust them even wen you don't
that would be one point for you

if you coming showing you self like you know all about them
you are good friends from our General/President
you would be ending
with out a penny with you before you go home

have a nice holiday wen you come by

bring some T shirt that you don't wan any more fore the kids
aspirin/pencil/books
and all other that you can Carey with you
but please don't give candy to the kids
many of them can not effort to pay a dentist

peace:)
Roberto

D

Duck

I agree with Roberto. I hope you aren't going to any of those scary "all inclusive" places. They'll make their money off of you for sure.

W

wanda

So, Tom, are you suggesting if we live there as expats we would be more of a target for crime? What about the housing developements in town?

J

jim

Re: crime around Sosua-postings censored?

Looks like this thread has been censored as several postings of serious happenings have disappeared twice or are they somewhere else on the board? Re: comments from WIlliam Leslie, K.C, Tom etc

E

Eddy

Maybe to close to the truth

W

wanda

some of the postings are still on the old board. Any comments about Tom's suggestion of crime towards expats??

E

Eddy

I don?t think that expatriates on anyone else are targeted out. Being in the wrong place at the wrong time is usually the case. Of course people living outside Sosua are at a greater risk. That is why it is always advisability to rent or buy in town or in a project with security coverage. Don?t flaunt your wealth or pretend (Which is often the case) to be richer than you are. The police are doing their best but with a salary of US100.00/month (YES that?s one hundred) don?t expect McGarett or Walker.

C

CES

> > > "Looks like this thread has been censored as several postings of serious happenings have disappeared. . . "

Hi Jim,

You get the prize for seeing though the shell game, now you see them, now you don't. The missing posts have go over to the "Dark Side".

Regards,

. . . CES

ps . . . see this message for information on the 'dark side' . . .

<A HREF="http://dominican-republic-news.com/board/index.cgi?read=30249">http://dominican-republic-news.com/board/index.cgi?read=30249</A>

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Take a look here... Darth Vader :)

<A HREF="http://www.dr1.com/board/index.cgi?read=30476">http://www.dr1.com/board/index.cgi?read=30476</A>

It didn't transfer when we moved the board?

I hadn't been following the thread so I can't tell you if posts are missing are not, sorry.

Rob.

C

CES

Take a look here... Darth Vader :) (Rob)

> > > "Take a look here... Darth Vader :)"

Good come back Rob, 'may the FORCE be with YOU! ! !

Regards,

. . . CES

T

Tom

Eddy, If you are the same guy who has the sports bar in Sosua, you know about many of the expats who have been burglarized and sometimes robbed. I was attacked in Oct. of 98 as I lay sleeping in bed out near Bella Vista, Arroyo Seco. This had happened to a German man who lived further down the road. After my incident I ended up finding out about many more incidents all around the area of Sosua and Caberette. Ask Harry Price and Guillermo from Switzerland and his wife. An then Terry who manages the international business school about getting robbed and Hans can tell you about the multiple entries he experienced. There are many more. Sorry for the hard truth about living around the tourist areas of the DR. The next day the local police requested RD$3,000 to investigate the crime. My friend who was dealing with them, since I was barely alive in a local clinic, and was not keen on paying them money. Many suspected that they might of had something to do with it.

T

Tom

The more I read, the more I feel there is a market for TRAINED personal protection dogs (Dobes)

Tom

E

Eddy

There probably have been even more than over the years. Part of my post was " Of course people living outside Sosua are at a greater risk. That is why it is always advisable to rent or buy in town or in a project with security coverage. " Personally I wouldn't live outside town.